The election 2015

The electorate's already being taxed if you could be see it once you take your blinkers off, as well as losing money through tax revenues being lost, which are having to then be made up from other sources. Can you not see that?

The Treasury is losing £5Bn a year in tax relief on buy to let mortgages (JRF) - that shortfall has to come from elsewhere

Council's in the UK spend £1.9Bn a year rehousing vulnerable people who've been squeezed out of the market

London's 50,000 group (consortia made up of businesses) estimate that it's costing them £5.4Bn a year in "unnecessary" inflated wages

£2.7Bn is lost to the London economy in consumer spend foregone in hosuing costs (Treasury loses an additional 20% in VAT receipts)

The loss of consumer expenditure is estimated to have cost London 11,000 new jobs (London has been surveyed more extensively than any other location as clearly the problems are more acute there) but they also exist in other parts of the country which we can only try and estimate. Oxford was in the spot light last week of course and is now suffering from recruitment issues as people can't afford to live and work there

The figure for housing benefit supplemments, working family tax credits, and people taken out of bottom rate tax because they simply can't afford to pay now because of crippling housing related costs is harder to estimate given that you're trying to extract attributable additionality, or attributable tax revneues lost. No one disputes that it runs to billions though. Again, this is being met by the tax payer already. You can possibly glean an indicator as to its scale from the fact that London businesses estimate they expect to supplement housing rents to the tune of £6.1Bn by the end of the decade. It seems like a conseravtiev estimate to suggest that the welfare and tax system is doing at least the same.

To suggest that you don't want the tax payer to subsidise housing is plain bonkers - guess what Clive - they're already doing it. Further more, they will continue doing so, and they're getting nothing back for it. Dead money. They don't get an assest, and they don't even get the income stream. Society doesn't even benefit with what would also be quite well paid jobs and tax revenues that would flow from that employment. The only real winner is the private sector landlord, who isn't really that productive to the economy anyway.

The only argument I can see in favour of this structure is that property investments are likely concealing black holes in pension funds.

You say you're in favour of building new homes, and then prescribe a solution that won't deliver it (and hasn't done so since it was adopted). Muddled.

When the coalition came to power one of the first things they did was scrap the RDA's and repalce with them private sector led LEP's. There were house building commitments in the relevant RES's (which admittedly were falling behind target, but at least they were there and being delivered eventually). Greg Clark was told that when LA's were forced to adopt Eric Pickles "'Localism Bill' these commitments would be shelved. He ignored that advice clinging desperately to a misplaced idea that people wanted their children to have affordable homes and wouldn't block them. Sadly Clark was divorced from reality (classic case of theoretical policy spinds ok, but on the ground disconnect ensures the theory never translates). People might want their children to have affordable homes, but they aren't bothered about other people's children having them. They were never going to equate new build in their backyard with the unlikely outcome for their own children moving into one such unidentified unit in X years time. Within 6 months of adopting this new policy therefore, 250,000 new build houses were scrapped. That was dogmatic sabotage. New build proposals continued to fall all over the country as a result of this act. It's only in the last 12 months that the Secretary of State has been ruling against local community objections. We've lost about five years therefore of chronically missed targets when we could ill afford to

You can point to survey work that is periodically conducted amongst developers that blames the planning system. This isn't new. Developers have always blamed the planning system, (and always will do). What they want of course is unregulated approvals to simply move in, build, and leave. That's why we have section 106 agreements so as to ensure that the developer picks up the bill for infrastructure needs associated with their developments that would otherwise fall on the taxpayer again. The number of developers blaming the planning system hasn't massively altered, but we have seen more objections rising in areas like Nimbyism and land banking (personally I'd include Nimbyism as being a component of the planning system myself as the Localism Act built it into the approval process)

The developers who you're saying would do it for free and should be empowered, haven't done so. The evidence of the last decade strongly points to developers not wanting to build affordable homes because they get a lower yield on them (remember the gallant hero Russell Brand saving a community from an American developer who wanted to evict them in favour of upper end redevelopment - I seem to recall you applauded Brand?).

Developers also possess an incentive to ensure that supply lags demand in order to reduce risk (risk is something that the industry hates above all else). In other words Clive, they cherry pick by location and developement type. It's classic market failure territory. You have to incentivise them with tax payer subsidies, or find another mechanism.

More recently we've even seen some right wing think tank suggetsing that we purpose build slums, as the solution! what an indictment (personally I think they were just after a headline)

So all the time you're wasting fiddling around and doing nothing, the pressure continues to ratchet upward. The people being penalised are amongst the most vulnerable in society, the working poor. As I think we've demonstrated, other countries (and you cherry picked the comparators not me) provide this sector with higher quality stock that typically takes anywhere between 10% and 15% less of someone's income. The European country that our provision most closely resembles is Spain

Last edited:
This is way too long and franjly I don't have the time. What's I have glanced at is economically illiterate

frankly If there is tax relief for buy to let then it's encouranging properties to be let rather than simply second empty homes. If that's so then it keeps more property available on the rental market. I think that's pretty obvious but I have no real opinion on whether it's right or wrong. Don't really care

the idea that house building is suddenly going to drive down rents to increase consumer spending is absurd. The building simply can't happen quickly enough. London is a terrible example because there simply isn't the room for hundreds of thousands of houses within the m25. Laughable

the suggestion that because there is some so called subsidy anyway so why not have each and every tax payer pay £100 per month to build new houses is just not on. You say it's "bonkers" not to impose it on tax payers? I think the suggestion is frankly certifiable.

But it of course the end result is that it will supposedly increase consumer spending...some distant time in the future. naturally taking a £100 a month out of tax payers pockets will have no effect at all

Lastly there is most certainly a house building boom in the South East so it's very very debatable that developers are simply not developing. I know this fro first hand experience. A cleimt of mine who completes for housebuilders has seen his turnover go from 2 to 4m in two years and has just win a 14m order from balfours. He demands the main contractors pay him within 14 days which is unheard of in building. He can do it because the demand is at a peak. The obvious conclusion is that they simply could not build more if they wanted to because there simply isn't the skills and labour. Subbies are actually pushing them around.

Last edited:
There is no credibility in,posting longer and longer responses. No one is fooled

the he simple fact is if local authorities or central government want to become developers (and what a great record they have at that...) then they do not tax. That is a total non starter. It would be extremely easy to issue low yield bonds to fund properties for sale or rent at the market rate.

Not for the first time, you're putting words in people's mouths and wantonly twisting what they actually said. Actually you aren't twisting it, you're just misprepresenting it. Either that, or your genuninely didn't understand the proposal. For that reason, you don't deserve a response

Your other assertion that we shouldn't build houses because we can't, whilst pretending to be in favour of it; it's an excuse isn't it?

As regards the tax relief

How is the private rented sector treated favourably by thetax system?

 Landlords receive a public subsidy worth up to £5 billion in tax relief per year. This isrelief that they are able to claim for their business expenses, including the 10% “wear andtear” allowance and interest relief on mortgages.

 Landlords are allowed to claim 10% of gross rent per property as a “wear and tearallowance”, without having to prove what they spent the money on. This creates aperverse incentive for landlords to claim the money without making any repairs to theirproperty. Despite this allowance, over a third (35%) of dwellings in the private rentedsector as classed as “non-decent”, and a quarter of tenants have requested repairs from theirlandlords which have not been carried out.

 A loophole enables landlords to avoid paying capital gains tax (CGT) on the final 3years when they own a property. As long as they have occupied it as their main residenceat some point, any capital gains which accrue during the final 36 months of ownership willbe exempt from CGT, even if they only live there briefly and then move to somewhere else.

 Private residence relief and letting relief can be used smartly to eradicate landlords’capital gains tax liabilities. In practice, many landlords avoid paying capital gains taxaltogether, even though rental properties are supposed to be liable for it.

 The tax treatment of rental property is inconsistent. Landlords are able to claim taxrelief against their costs as if they are running businesses, yet HMRC classifies rent as“unearned income.”

Who benefits from this?

 Rental property has produced massive returns for investors. Returns on investing inrental property have been twice those from investing in equities since 2000, partly becauseinvestors are taxed more favourably.

 Baby boomers (aged 46-65) account for 64% of landlords (nearly two-thirds). Theaverage landlord is aged 53, so these tax advantages help them financially at the expense ofyounger tenants and would-be first-time buyers. 8

 17% of sitting MPs are landlords, compared to 4% of UK adults. This may help toexplain why policy-makers have paid relatively little attention to how landlords are taxed.Why should this be changed?

 Tax breaks for landlords mainly help more affluent members of society. Landlords arestill able to deduct their mortgage interest against rental income for tax purposes, eventhough allowing owner-occupiers to do this under the MIRAS scheme was dismissed as a“middle-class perk” by Gordon Brown. However, the individual investors who own Britain’srental property are a highly affluent group who are being given an enormous, highlyregressive, tax subsidy from the public purse.

 Giving landlords tax relief distorts the market against younger buyers. Given the UK’sextremely inflexible housing supply, offering landlords tax relief helps them to outbid firsttimebuyers.

 The growth of buy-to-let hasn’t significantly increased the overall supply of housing.The “BTL boom” has mostly just led to increased competition between landlords and firsttimebuyers for our existing housing stock instead.

 BTL pushes up prices. There is clear evidence showing that the growth of BTL increasesoverall house prices for everyone, including first-time buyers.

 High rents prevent young people from saving. Rents are so expensive in many areas thatmost young people are unable to save money or build up their own assets while living in theprivate rented sector, a trend which could have important negative consequences in thefuture.

 It is estimated that 40% of today’s 20 year-olds will never own their own homes. Thisis despite clear evidence showing that the majority of young people still want to becomeowner-occupiers.

Last edited:
No, what i said was this

• Alternatively government could tax more (there's always a chance we could get something back then). Most people would have little problem paying €1000 more tax if it came with a correspionding €3000 fall in their rent and a net gain of €2000 to their budget.​

You then extrapolated your own interpretation of it.

The way I've described, should have been enough to tell you who it would apply to, and what I would need to see in return to off-set it. I'm afraid you ran away with your own idea though that it applied to everyone. I just couldn't be bothered to challenge it at the time - shrug of shoulders type of thing.

Unlike Osborne, I would reintroduce people to tax once the gains in their income had been established, and not pre-emptively in the hope that they might be in the future. It's why I framed it as "you might even get something back" - leaving open the possibility that we might not if the conditions weren't met

The government is proud of the number of low paid people it's removed from income tax. I'm kind of in two minds about whether this is something we should be proud of, or whether it's a bit doubled edged.

I had no idea that the UK would transpire to have the highest amount of personal income lost to housing rent in Europe. The simple fact is we know that 40% of income is going in rent, it doesn't really leave much for the government does it? That's why I think it's a bit double edged.

Lets take Germany as an example. I don't know what the overall tax burden on a low paid German is by way of how their income is clawed back by society, but if they're paying 25% in rent, I'd speculate they're paying another 10% to the government. I think this is a more desirable structure than simply paying 40% to a landlord and nothing to the state

As regards Osborne's belated intervention on the BTL, words like 'stable', 'bolted' and 'horse' do come to mind. In truth, this goes further back though, and can be traced to new Labour. These problems haven't just emerged, they were there 15 years ago when the rental market was overheating but exploded in the credit crunch. Hazels Blears (of all people) was subsequently the most honest on this when she admitted that because the issue of housing rental poverty had never affected any Labour cabinet ministers, nor did it effect their children, nor did any of them come from a housing background - they simply weren't interested in it. Sadly the same description applies to government today. This was a manageable crisis that could be averted. It's simply not good enough though to shrug our shoulders now and say its' too late, what can we do about it.

Last edited:
the he simple fact is if local authorities or central government want to become developers (and what a great record they have at that...) ..... It would be extremely easy to issue low yield bonds to fund properties for sale or rent at the market rate.

Now this is what needs looking at aggressively (as it did 15 years ago). All previous national house building programmes (we have done this before) were pumped primed by the public sector. You can argue about some of the social outputs, and although architecture and the built environment contribute to that, you're very often picking up other factors

A one out two in policy introduced back in the 1980's would have solved all this of course, but sadly that is too late now (n ot that it couldn't be reintroduced in the future) but we have more pressing priorities to address first

Last edited:
No, what i said was this

• Alternatively government could tax more (there's always a chance we could get something back then). Most people would have little problem paying €1000 more tax if it came with a correspionding €3000 fall in their rent and a net gain of €2000 to their budget.​

You then extrapolated your own interpretation of it.

The way I've described, should have been enough to tell you who it would apply to, and what I would need to see in return to off-set it. I'm afraid you ran away with your own idea though that it applied to everyone. I just couldn't be bothered to challenge it at the time - shrug of shoulders type of thing.

Unlike Osborne, I would reintroduce people to tax once the gains in their income had been established, and not pre-emptively in the hope that they might be in the future. It's why I framed it as "you might even get something back" - leaving open the possibility that we might not if the conditions weren't met

The government is proud of the number of low paid people it's removed from income tax. I'm kind of in two minds about whether this is something we should be proud of, or whether it's a bit doubled edged.

I had no idea that the UK would transpire to have the highest amount of personal income lost to housing rent in Europe. The simple fact is we know that 40% of income is going in rent, it doesn't really leave much for the government does it? That's why I think it's a bit double edged.

Lets take Germany as an example. I don't know what the overall tax burden on a low paid German is by way of how their income is clawed back by society, but if they're paying 25% in rent, I'd speculate they're paying another 10% to the government. I think this is a more desirable structure than simply paying 40% to a landlord and nothing to the state

As regards Osborne's belated intervention on the BTL, words like 'stable', 'bolted' and 'horse' do come to mind. In truth, this goes further back though, and can be traced to new Labour. These problems haven't just emerged, they were there 15 years ago when the rental market was overheating but exploded in the credit crunch. Hazels Blears (of all people) was subsequently the most honest on this when she admitted that because the issue of housing rental poverty had never affected any Labour cabinet ministers, nor did it effect their children, nor did any of them come from a housing background - they simply weren't interested in it. Sadly the same description applies to government today. This was a manageable crisis that could be averted. It's simply not good enough though to shrug our shoulders now and say its' too late, what can we do about it.

Im not reading it all but

you are expecting people to pay more tax in advance of this supposed saving. Very very tenuous imo

non renters clearly won't save. I think they will be totally pissed off

there is absolutely no guarantee at all that it will lead to falling rents. In fact I doubt it and it's a certainty that it will not be the case in many areas of the country

in other words no one will buy such a scheme.

this simply all sounds too much like a tired old hard left agenda against the evil property owning class. I'm bored with it now. Every point has been dealt with easily

Last edited:
And lastly landlords pay tax on rental income. Probably at higher rate too. So to claim this is "lost" to the government is nonsense.

Whilst I largely agree with the principle of what your saying Clive, there are two inaccuracies.

Firstly most of the major builders are sitting on land banks and are generally cautious about over-extending while economic uncertainty remains. Overbuilding creates the very obvious risk of aiding a slow down, stop, or even a reversal in house prices.

Secondly contractors are far from dictating their terms because of a shortage of labour, although there may be one or two specialist areas where you may be correct.

In truth I can only give the one example maruxo but he does finishing work for residential and is dictating terms. It is South East only of course and he is bloody good it has to be said

rest I'm sure is true.

Last edited:
my god

Corbyn and his sinister advisors clearly appointed racist Ken to provoke Maria Eagles into resignation which is bad enough when but if he doesnt remove him after these truly disgusting comments then that will be probably the low point of a extraordinary low week week for the worst party leader in living memory

I seriously do feel the frustration and anger of genuine real labour party representitives and voters with having to deal with this pure filth

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ken-livingstone-blasts-labour-rival-6853409

Last edited:
my god

Corbyn and his sinister advisors clearly appointed racist Ken to provoke Maria Eagles into resignation which is bad enough when but if he doesnt remove him after these truly disgusting comments then that will be probably the low point of a extraordinary low week week for the worst party leader in living memory

I seriously do feel the frustration and anger of genuine real labour party representitives and voters with having to deal with this pure filth

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ken-livingstone-blasts-labour-rival-6853409

its just the "new style of politics":)

if i hear that expression once more..there is nowt new about it..Michael Foot were doing the same as Corbyn 30 year ago..and a lot of success it brought him:rolleyes:

Last edited:
its just the "new style of politics":)

if i hear that expression once more..there is nowt new about it..Michael Foot were doing the same as Corbyn 30 year ago..and a lot of success it brought him:rolleyes:

Foot was never this bad. He was actually well liked and also quite a strong patriot. Corbyn is not liked or respected and despises this country

livingstone refused to apologise on air four times and blatantly lied when he said he knew nothing about jones depression. That is as low as it gets. He would hardly have made reference out of the blue

He is a genuinely nasty piece of work who is genuinely hated by many in labour. Big test for Corbyn once again... which he will fail

Last edited:
i didn't mean as a politician..i mean the type of politics..Corbyn declared a new politics..which it isn't..in fact its just a sample of some of the worst of old politics with in fighting and clear divisions within the party..its just a sound bite..which again isn't "new".

Watching it now re PM questions...over the next few months Corbyn is going to get his arse handed to him re defence..today is just the start..time is surely ticking on his leadership.

It reminds me of a TV show where someone from the public gets to be leader of opposition for a month..to see how they get on..he is so completely out of his depth i actually cringe ...he is doing a hippy commune out a leader.

i'm struggling to see how any normal thinking person can view him as credible in his current position

Last edited:
Watching it now re PM questions...over the next few months Corbyn is going to get his arse handed to him re defence..today is just the start..time is surely ticking on his leadership.

Part of the real tragedy here is that Cameron's own defence and foreign policy record is an absolute shambles. It's a whole litany of misjudgements and contradictions. Let's be honest, if it weren't for Ed Miliband saving him from himself, he'd be having to answer questions this week about how it is he's bombing people who are actively engaged in fighting the Islamic State. He's actually a fiasco.

Even as he puts the finishing touches to this u-turn he's doing, he's saying strange things which leads me to think he's just not capable of working in partnership on this scale.

He's sent a type 45 destroyer to the area (he's cancelled the building of half a dozen of them which were on order incidentally). I'm seriously struggling to think what a type 45 is going to do? It's an anti aircraft destroyer! I can only assume that he 'wants to play' but has got nothing to bring to the table, or perhaps he thinks the Russians are going to attack the French and only he can defend them? Two days ago Putin appealled to the west (read America) to put past differences behind them and unite to fight IS. Today Cameron says he doesn't want to go to the UN to seek a mandate because he "won't out source our security to a Russian veto". The man just can't resist taking snipes all the time. It's no wonder all the other world leaders (with the exception of Merkel) hate him

The problem we face in the UK is that our benchmark and comparators are so low we can make the mistake of thinking he's good in the absence of something substantive to compare him alongside. It's like a couple of northern hemisphere rugby teams playing each other, momentarily conning themselves into they're quite good, and then coming up against the All Blacks and realising how bad they are

I should say as well that Obama is increasingly looking completely lost and showing fatal signs of starting to believe his own propoganda. The American public don't have any appetite for direct occupation (60% against) but neither are they convinced by Obama's mantra that ISIL are "contained"

Last edited:
That's got nothing at all to do with ecs post

corbyn cannotbe trusted with the defence of the uk .Fact. Cameron for all his supposed mistakes will at least commit to it

the voters know that

Sentiment and outcome are two different things. I don't see how Cameron taking a symbolic role makes the UK safer? Indeed, in one of his better pieces of analysis he seemed to acknowledge this himself as recently as Monday

"it is perfectly right to say that a few extra bombs and missiles won't transform the situation"

Look, he's spent 4 years identifying the wrong enemy, now that he's finally coming round to the right call he's started to look at the wrong priority. I appreciate that loud bangs and fast jets look more sexy for a politician to associate with, but if he really wanted to make us safer and commit to our defence he'd be better off looking at a combination of passive preventative, and aggressive contingency.

The threat to us will come on our own streets, in which case he'd be better advised looking at how he might create the US equivalent of a National Guard. Someone who keeps pushing his chest out and resorts to military action as a first course, isn't necessarily someone who is good for security

You might say Corbyn can't be trusted with the defence of the UK. I wouldn't disagree with you. But I would also suggest that neither can Cameron (for different reasons). Cameron makes far too many mistakes. We have two pretty bad options to choose from.

How many planes do we think are currently in theatre over Syria? - Russian, French, US (including drones) Jordanian and Syrian. I'm guessing over 300? How does Cameron sending 6 Tornados increase our safety? It doesn't. Sad truth is, it probably has the opposite effect. So why is he so desperate to suddenly involve us? If he wants to make us safer, there are infinitely more pressing priorities he could attend to at our points of vulnerability. It's not a smart strategic call, from a man who has never given the impression that he's with the plot at any time in this field since he became PM. If I had to nominate anyone of the current generation of politicians to have at the helm it would be Phillip Hammond as an instantaneous answer

Last edited:
It's not about the detail. It's about the intention.

Oldham west is going to be very interesting. Labour have a terrific candidate by all accounts who, regardless of what students say on this forum, is a real labour man having led the council well and represented constituents rather than stop the war. By some accounts corbyn didn't want him but a new candidate who's closely associated with corbyn would surely be set to lose?. These Northern seats are vulnerable and the disgusting behaviour by livingstine yesterday (who is a liar about his knowledge of the MPs condition) makes it far worse. Metropolitan bigot demeans and insults a solid talented northern mp?

the fact that corbyn didn't immeadiately sack the cnt is a terrible reflection on him. And a vote loser

if they don't dump the leader then labour will be third largest party in terms of vote in 2020. Or maybe fourth if the much needed split occurs

Last edited:
Warb

I think we are coming from different angles here, my angle is that the majority of people in this country follow politics through headlines and generally have only minimal interest it, not the detailed analysis that you do. I'll equate it to horse racing...many people bet in the Grand National...and many people vote in elections..but the interest in both of those between those events is minimal by the large majority of people. People like you who have an indepth knowledge i'd equate to racing fans on this forum as % of those who bet in the Grand national..its actually a very small % of indepth interest in both. The only time people actually care about politics is when it hits their pocket big style..ie poll tax..and tax credits...anything else is headline reading level of interest to majority of people.

I tend to view issues as how they will be seen by the casual or even disinterested viewer of politics..because when it comes to election day..its not the in depth knowledegables that hold power...its the "grand national" voter.

The tories are well aware of that ..which is why they have mantras that they repeat endlessly so that over time..even people who have little day by day interest in politics eventually get the message. That was clearly displayed at the last election with the get ED..get SNP mantra..it changed the mainstream voters opinion of voting labour..just through repeating it at on a near on daily level.

The problem Corbyn has got is that even the most casual viewer of daily politics is seeing headline after headline of things that do actually register with them...they are getting the messgage drilled in that Corbyn won't keep them safe. Given that message..which will be played by the media and tories weekly or even daily..will actually over time sway an election result.

So it matters not that Cameron isn't a great defender..thats not being highlighted to people..there are only the very tiny % of people that look below the surface of politcs that will come to that conclusion. Elections are not won by nuances..they are won by large issues..like security..rammed into peoples heads for months..even years.

Corbyn is a nice guy..he isn't smart though..he is naive..he keeps writing the medias headlines for them..they don't even have to delve. The tories are way more savvy than Labour to start with..they know all the mind games they need to play to win ..Labour didn't do that before Corbyn..and now they have him..they whipped before they start because right at the start of his leadership the headlines are..Corbyn doesn't want nuclear weapons but if we do keep them he won't ever use them..and now he doesn't like shooting terrorists..it could get dangerous. That is how Corbyn is coming over to daily Joe who might glance at a headline...is he going to vote for Corbyn?..i can't see it.

Even if Labour had the most savvy spinners and strategists..they would do well to cover Corbyns naive blunderings on an issue so big as feeling safe..you can't really reverse the stuff he says once its in people's heads.

The public in general re politics are influenced by big headlines and repeated mantras..because generally thats their level of interest in it...its an apathy driven by the negative image politics has had over a period of time..the expenses thing damaged politics even more and turned people off it in a large way....until Labour realise that mantras and headlines are important..even without Corbyn..they will lose time after time. With him they have lost now..how many more big headlines will he create lets say in the next 12 months...in fact the tories could afford to never attack him again themselves in the next 4 years..and still win.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong at all with people making judgements on what they perceive. They do not need to know the full detail. It's not a matter of "headlines being drummed into the,". We are getting a bit close to the prevalent attitude on this forum that voters do not know what's good for them

are you saying that the following shouldn't be reported? Do you think the media should be controlled?

there is rightly no need in most Peoples minds to look beyond the following

corbyn supports the ira and refused to condemn their bombings in the uk
he wants to scrap trident
he has speculated on scrapping the army
he would not endorse shoot to kill until he was clearly pressed to do so by his own party
hes a "pacifist" who will always support terrorists when given the option

these are facts.

no one needs to know anything more than that

job done. And move onto the next issue

Last edited:
Clive..stop putting words in my mouth it is annoying

I'm not saying people "don't know whats good for them" at all...i'm saying people generally give politics a large sidestep and fine detail that is important to the keen politics follower like Warbler..just isn't to a large majority of people...so in the main..its headlines..particularly bad ones like Corbyn courts and mantras that do get through and influence people..Labour don't seem to realise it...they never countererd the SNP issue properly..even though it was very damaging to them at the last election..even a numpty like me could see it was going to lose them votes..i don't think they did until after the election..when it were too late.

Politics isn't that interesting to people..look at this forum for instance...there have been about 175 folk on line at most times during the day here for a good while..how many bother passing a view on this thread or the ISIS thread?....over months...a very small % of interest from what is probably a wide section of the public that makes this board up

no its not a scientific survey Clive,,and no i'm not hanging my hat on it..but it is a little indicator that politics just isn't of interest to people generally..you have a few with interest who post...but the large majority side step it...but it will be the large majority who aren't very interested it that will vote and change the government..based on not the detail ..but in what is easily available to them..through headlines and repeated mantras.

Last edited:
The headline is all powerful...what would have happened in the last election if this one headline would have appeared for instance one week before the election...."Tories lay out their plans to remove £1200 on average from all Tax Credit Recipients"

just on that one damaging headline..do you think it would have changed the election result?

the fine detail of the previous 4 years would have been made irrelevant..just because of one headline that everyone would have seen clearly.

Last edited:
Ec. You misread me or didn't make myself clear. I don't attribute you with that view but it does crop up

ok..yes i'm sure it does...there is alot apathy about politics..unless it hits pockets heavily..then all of a sudden people get interested

Last edited:
Back