The Gold Cup 2010

Rehearsal Chase, Hennessy, Edward Hamner etc............handicaps are so last millenium though.

Racing greyhounds at Haydock would be good news for Sam.... not so far to fall...

I was going to say something about horses turning into dogs under him anyway.............but I won't.

As I will be at Down Royal I'm hoping he goes there instead.

I would imagine Nicholls will still send something over there for race if Kauto doesn't go.

Yes, God only knows what - the jumps track has been butchered.

He gave out about the place as he simply did not have a clue as to why he disappointed at Haydock that day. Rather than just admit it he had to come up with an excuse along the lines of the track was too sharp for Kauto Star now - which was a bit bizarre.

What I meant was God knows what has changed his mind; if Kauto Star were mine I wouldn't run him there now they've destroyed the place.

Crikey - I wonder has he seen Haydock as it is now?!? It resembles a greyhound track!

IIRC the course is in good company - I can think of at least three top jumps courses (including Haydock) that Nicholls has given a pasting to in the last 12 months (the ground at Wetherby and Auteuil has also come into serious question though it didn't stop him running Turko at the former).

I like to look beyond the likeliest winners and shortest priced horses for a bit of value and notice that Aran Concerto (who showed a lot of promise in his Fairyhouse win) is at similar or even longer odds than the likes of Cappa Bleu, Imperial Commander and Big Bucks. That just isn't right, and so i've punted him for small money at 50s.

I agree. I've taken the same price myself. I'm well aware of his problems, but if they don't resurface, for me, he is the most talented of last season's novices. I don't think any of them are capable of reaching the same marks as Kauto or Denman at their peak, but they may not have to this season. That's basically what the Gold Cup revolves around for me: how good Kauto and Denman still are.

We won't have to wait too long to find out.

Last edited:
I've never been in the Tidal Bay camp myself but does anyone else expect anything from him this season? I've read he has had a breathing operation. He is set to start off in the Old Roan and then connections will take it from there.

I suspect Tidal Bay will need more than a breathing operation to sort him out; it wasn't for lack of getting air in his lungs that he has been holding himself funny when racing, with his head up in the air and tail at a funny angle.

Pretty much, but it doesn't mean there isn't an underlying problem which if it is there may or may not be getting worse with time. As I should have said in the previous post, not only does he carry his head up in the air he carries it at a funny angle as well, which may or may not be indicative of some sort of back problem.

Neither Kauto nor Denman is very old - they should still be at their peak, and considering both will have light campaigns I can't see past them at all, provided they get there in one piece - and stand up in the race. Anything else would have to be a terrific price for a place before I'd back it

The levels of form hit by Denman and Kauto Star tell me it will be very hard for anything to beat them if they both turn up in top form at Cheltenham.

Of course there will be big improvers throughout the season who end up there as well but I can't help thinking the big two will have to go wrong for the title to go elsewhere.

I think so, too.

And even though I have a bet elsewhere, I really do want Kauto to do it again.

This is the same old chestnut we face every year when the question is put that the novices from the previous years have huge amounts to find with the current Champions. Thats a given - it is always the case. Unfair to rule a novice out of it simply because he has not had the opportunity that the confirmed champions have.

I love Cooldine to bits - I see him as the main threat to Kauto. But Kauto will need to regress a bit from last year I would have thought.

I like Coolldine but he seems to need the ground though doesnt he? Not many Cheltenhams are softish these days

DO is right. What exactly are the chances of a horse appearing this year to reach the form of the two best chasers since at least Desert orchid 20 years ago? Kauto is arguably better than ever and will be produced with usual great skill.

Its a STS situation. Trying to find something to beat a genuine great horse.

Back