MON MOME
MR POINTMENT
MY WILL
NOTRE PERE
SCHINDLERS HUNT
TARANIS
TRICKY TRICKSTER
WHAT A FRIEND

If Tricky Trickster was being trained for the Grand National, he maybe lost it yesterday. When the weights come out on Tuesday it will be interesting to see how his mark compares with what it was.

Meant to update this bit...

I think TT went up 3lbs while Niche Market went up 4lbs.

Probably just about right but I think both are a fair bit better than their ORs. I think TT in particular is a good 5lbs better than he actually showed, given how he was ridden.

What do you make of Taranis? If he were mine, he'd be going for the Ryanair - he has very little chance in the Gold Cup, but would be favourite if lining up in the Ryanair, which he has already won, in what is a poor renewal.

What do you make of Taranis? If he were mine, he'd be going for the Ryanair - he has very little chance in the Gold Cup, but would be favourite if lining up in the Ryanair, which he has already won, in what is a poor renewal.

I'd agree. He'd have a cracking chance in the Ryanair, and despite an impressive comeback run when winning the Argento Chase, it is hard to see him placing in the Gold Cup.

Anyone that needs Nicholls to tell them that Kauto Star holds outstanding claims in the Gold Cup really shouldn't be betting on this sport.

I thought it was his comments regarding on the horses general wellbeing that were interesting. He clearly could not be any happier with the horse.

I thought it was his comments regarding on the horses general wellbeing that were interesting. He clearly could not be any happier with the horse.
I must say Kauto Star looked in tremendous nick - even better than would be expected at this stage.

It's not the horse's fault he wasn't fit but clearly he was not 'right', or if you prefer, to be able to run to anywhere near his best in that race, and if he had stood up, that he would have won. That doesn't mean he was not well, as in well being, but clearly was not 'right' for that race on the day.
Your passion is compelling SteveM.

If you had stopped them four out in the Hennessy people would have been saying the same thing... that they were all too close to him and he wasn't going to pick up any more. It's were they are at the end of the race that counts. Denman is relentless. I can't see what the others will be able to do to stop him in the big one.

If you had stopped them four out in the Hennessy people would have been saying the same thing...

Except Denman was giving huge lumps of weight in the Hennessy.

I do not seem to remember Denman struggling to win his Aon in his Gold Cup winning year. I don't remember having any doubts about him in that particular race - which was similar in a small field and easy pickings on paper.

I like Paul N alot - but he always NEEDS to come up with a reason for his horses defeats (it does not happen too often mind!!) rather than just admitting he does not know why. Kauto hated Haydock, then that changed to him needing a break between his races, Tataniano does not handle soft ground after Newbury despite looking the winner for much of the race and handling plenty of easy at Cheltenham previous to that, he had a go at others for questioning Master Minded since his initial Cheltenham win with various excuses but now admits that he probably has only got him back right now etc etc.

Sometimes a trainer is better off just admitting that he does not know what has gone wrong. For me, fitness and race conditions cannot explain Denman's defeat as his fitness was not really tested nor were race conditions remotely against him. Just one of those things.

If you had stopped them four out in the Hennessy people would have been saying the same thing...
I do not seem to remember Denman struggling to win his Aon in his Gold Cup winning year.

I don't know where the notion that Denman was struggling comes from though. For me he was always going to win the Aon very easily. He blundered and landed very awkwardly which caused him to be knocked out of his stride and make a hash of the next... It's as simple as that. If the trainer hasn't got an explanation beyond that couldn't it just mean that there is nothing at all wrong with him and that when he's fitter and sharper he'll win as expected. I think you're looking for something that's just not there.

Back