The JP McManus Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter SlimChance
  • Start date Start date
Certainly looked like he needed it.

It's pretty normal for him to be keen running horse but he looked way too fresh and was pulling McCoys arms out from the off.

The problem with him is when he has settled he's still found very little when it matters

So what you see is what you get with him and IMO for what it's worth there's little or no change of him being laid out for a touch.

It's not that he won't win a race somewhere along the line it's just that you couldn't trust him enough to take the gamble he'd do it on the day

I doubt if he's the type JP or anyone for that matter would be sticking their millions on

Nothing untoward about the way Minella Foru was ridden today.

Jumped really well and going well within himself for 90% of the race looked sure to be involved in the finish.

Looked like he blew up on the home turn and MP Walsh wasn't hard on him when beaten.

Looks a very good prospect and one to follow.

Jonjo O Neill has knocked in a couple winners recently including Shutthefrontdoor, could it be that now is the time to catch him and a few of his runners right? He has just one today (Touch Back, 2:10, Huntingdon), but plenty entered for tomorrow as far as I can see.

Dursey Sound is an interesting one in the 2:00 at Bangor. The horse won his novice chase around Bangor. He beat a horse called Tindaro at Stratford who has since won abroad for Paul Webber. The 4th in that race, Wiesentraum has won a couple of races since and looks a horse to keep an eye on this season with a Hennessy entry. So that form is working out well.

There's also the Market Rasen form where he had Fox Appeal behind him, who went on to win (or dead heat) last week, so enough reasons to think if he puts his best forward he can defy his odds tomorrow for Jonjo and JP off a mark of 140. I don't think he has that much to fear from the opposition.
Operating is a worthy favourite but not for me.
Hopefully his trainer can get a bit more consistency out Dursey Sound this season.

Last edited:
Someone must have been having a bad day

I could say a couple of things about this article but will stick to one, a lot of horses may be deemed normal post race but that doesn't mean the jockey didn't hear something/feel something during the race. My mare pulled up badly with breathing problem first run of the season. Second run of the season, same jockey, I don't know what the trainer told him but I made a point of telling him as he was walking out of the paddock that if she made any noises or he was in any doubt about how she was going, he was to pull her up. She finished a good second, had no chance with the winner, but I was thrilled. Jockey said 'second time round the back, she made a noise and I thought oh oh but I gave her a half a furlong and she seemed fine so I kept going'. She was fine after the race too. Just because they are fine afterwards, doesn't mean they didn't have an issue during the race. Having said that, it's an easy thing to say if something dodgy going on but no way to prove it.
Would be interesting to see the odds on those runners next time they come out.

Minella Foru ran an interesting race on Saturday off a mark of 129....just like Cause of Causes 12 months previously, who then narrowly failed to land a punt at Christmas in the PP chase.

Similar target perhaps.

Landed a punt at Dundalk last night on a 2yo FTO. Not the sort of trickery we expect from JP but when they're that well bred its hard not to play with a straight bat.

Last edited:
Box Office has a handicap hurdle over 3m in him
Attracted a bit of support just before the off today and was very unlucky at Having the door shut on him twice when challenging.

I agree. He was backed and ridden with confidence that he'd have plent left in the tank at the business end by Gerraghty. It also leaves something in hand with his mark for the Festival Handicap Chase in March if he has quiet race or a spin over hurdles inbetween.

Henry Higgins' name is the latest in the long list of McManus owned big race handicap winners and follows on from this season's Irish winners Nearly Nama'd (Grade A and B winner), Minella Foru (Grade B Paddy Power Chase win), Troytown winner Riverside City and Gentleman Duke (Grade B).

Worth a look at the form prior to the wins, the handicapping beforehand, and the price they went off. None of them obviously backed with big money contrary to JP's reputation.

Back