The JP McManus Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter SlimChance
  • Start date Start date
He had a nice little spin yesterday and you should definitely keep an eye on him. I wouldn't be surprised though if the target is the Irish National, which is getting a big prize money boost this year. He's only seven, which is a bit young for Aintree.

Every chance, PJ (edit: and Art).

Prices compensate for the risk of not running at Aintree, though, and my stakes aren't too crazy - it's a £6K take-out for a handful of small £xx bets, chiselled-off on the odd occasion I have had a good day. There is also the added-fun of seeing if you can guess the direction this operation are headed, before they have revealed their hand.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily call them 'fun' bets. Minella Foru is not unlike JP's Double Seven, who was another they could have sent to Fairyhouse well-treated. He was eventually backed into joint-favouritism at Aintree, and ran a great race to finish fourth behind Pinaue De Re. Besides, JP will have a dozen to choose from for the Irish National - though I realise this cuts both ways, and the same applies to Aintree.

Clearly, connections will have a multitude of options with Minella Foru, and this is perhaps one of the less plausible scenarios, for a fragile horse (needs to come out yesterday's race well), who has limited experience, and stamina questions to answer anyway. Again, that's factored into price, and whilst the bets are serious considerations, they are certainly towards the speculative-end of my spectrum.

Last edited:
Good spot Grass, I remember you were flagging up D7 early on that season.
After last years national I vowed never to get seriously involved, betting wise in the race again, but I'll have a couple of bob on Minella F.

Last edited:
That looks an excellent bit of business for unowhatimeanharry by the Harry Fry racing club, Flogging an exposed 8yo probably at the ceiling of his ability who just gave them the season of there dreams that culminated in a festival win.

Err probably not that clever a bit of business maybe...:lol:

I'm focusing on a different McManus horse coming out of yesterday's race.

Did you watch the cross country race ?

Cause of Causes was just out for a hack and a bit of fresh air. I dont think he will go the Cross country route but his festival form is impressive.

I wasn't thinking about aintree Nick , I was wondering which target was their festival aim. Cant see it being the Cross Country so must be one of the handicaps

He'll be too high for the Kim Muir so it would have to be the opening day 3 miler. Not sure he'd have the pace personally.

Not sure if it was mentioned here but JP has bought the useful Project Bluebook who remains with John Quinn. Holds entries over the weekend at Musselburgh and his form lines are really working out well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irish National may be more a priority this year as Edward's grand father saddled Knight's Crest to win the race in the 1940s.
Ridden by Martin Molony, the Harty family colours are on display in Leopardstown grand stand at the Molony section.
Well worth a look on Gold Cup day.

Back