The JP McManus Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter SlimChance
  • Start date Start date
JP is renowned for being fearless and he can still play the biggest bets in the land and have the bookies running scared ...though NOTHING will have given him as much satisfaction as actually owning the winner of the Grand National and Gold Cup in the the past 2 years !

Meanwhile,I expect his cash to be down on Darlan for Cheltenham on Saturday.
I Wonder?

Much depends on how Nicky sees him. He absolutely loves to win the old Schweppes Gold Trophy and a win here would see him take another hike in the weights. The fact he's not sending him the trial route may be an indication he's not Champion Hurdle class

Plus when he won at Taunton Barry reckoned he looked to win easier than he actually did and he wasn't confident he'd have found a lot on the rain softened ground.

I can't see him getting knocked about on Sunday if the ground does come up really soft. In fact if it gets any softer don't be surprised if he doesn't run and Cash and Go who loves the soft does

7/2 top weight, never won on the ground, first run of the season...way too dodgy for me......I doubt if JP or many will be backing him for bucket loads.

Michael OLeary has a plan and most of his horse are trying in the races

What JP does is more difficult to analyse and to understand
he has more horses and loses more money

with the money he spends and spliting the horses between Nicholls, Mullins, HEnderson or other smallers like N. Williams, Ogready Kiely etc
he could win much more races and better grade ones

it looks like he is firing money

Michael OLeary has a plan and most of his horse are trying in the races

What JP does is more difficult to analyse and to understand
he has more horses and loses more money

with the money he spends and spliting the horses between Nicholls, Mullins, HEnderson or other smallers like N. Williams, Ogready Kiely etc
he could win much more races and better grade ones

it looks like he is firing money

He is. It's philanthropy with the occasional kickback via a nice punt.

Everyone talks about the 'Great Man's' racing bill, which is exrtradionary to my mind, but would anyone doubt that he doesn't cover the vast majority of it through punting them? It's hard not to respect a rogue like JP that can operate at that level. He doesn't move markets, he owns the market when he punts. That creates problems that requires outside the box thinking that a few on this thread seem incapable to comprehend.

JP's training bill at it's peak would be around 6.5 million per annum less discount less prize money won probably about 4 million. racing manager purchases etc he probably spends about 7 million for talking sake

At that rate him being worth around 2 Billion it would take about 300 years for him to go broke. No doubt he's worth a bit less now than he was, with the crash but even if you half it he could still last 150 years.

It's the love of the mans life and no way is he going to blow it by punting like a looney or trying to square up the books by pulling in 7 million quid or anything like it from gambling. So now he's up there he has small bets in comparison to what he used to have and in his own words very few. You can bet when he does have ago they win and the majority are very short with a lot less risk than trying to back the Champion Hurdle winner e.g.

JP knows what it's like to be on the edge of destruction. If his great pal had not won the Gold Cup on Dawn Run there would be very few or no JP McManus colours flying around Cheltenham because that race was make or break for him.........or so the story goes.

Maybe some of you remember Terry Ramsden the man who knew everybody in racing and a fearless gambler

He knew it all, had horses all over the shop but because he was a fearless gambler despite all the inside info he went flat broke. They say a good week for him was if he lost 2 million.

JP has been there and done it wore the T-shirt and threw it away.

If it were about money he'd have bought 10 good flat horses and changed his name to JP Abdullah instead of asking someone like Ronnie O'leary to find him some nice bumper horses that have had their balls chopped off.

I'd bet a pound to a penny if you asked the man what he'd rather have another Champion Hurdler or pull of a stroke and win 1 million from gambling he go Champion Hurdle every time.

We all know or think we know he still has a punt but the last thing on his mind would be trying to make it pay overall or even covering his costs by mad gambling.

BTW he's probably looking in wondering what on earth are these idiots, myself included, are going to come up with next:lol:

Market for the Racing Post Hurdle is hotting up and Darlan is now 3/1 with the ground drying out but there's still plenty money around for Cash N Go. He's owned by the same guy who owns Kauto Stone and has a few horses with David Pipe which most likely means he too likes to have a punt.

Enter Jonjo and It's a Gimme and you got a JP horse on either side of Cash and Go in the betting,

I can imagine Nicky Henderson saying mines will win but not saying which one and Jonjo saying his will win but under his breath saying "At the Festival"

I think I'd rather back Grandouet to win the F Fifth at 7/2 than try and work out what JP and co are up to here

Its obviously just a hobby for JP. 90% of the flesh he buys are gash. I dont think he is actually stopping most of them, they just dont have the ability to win many races.

i just dont think he is relevant. and if he stops one or two to land a handicap then fine...coz most of them do it. He just has about 400 very average horses and half a dozen decent ones. Im more intrigued why he doesnt try and buy decent horses. Even is it is a hobby you'd still want to buy the best. I mean he spent £140k on Plan A. The mind boggles. :blink:

JP's training bill at it's peak would be around 6.5 million per annum less discount less prize money won probably about 4 million. racing manager purchases etc he probably spends about 7 million for talking sake

At that rate him being worth around 2 Billion it would take about 300 years for him to go broke. No doubt he's worth a bit less now than he was, with the crash but even if you half it he could still last 150 years.

It's the love of the mans life and no way is he going to blow it by punting like a looney or trying to square up the books by pulling in 7 million quid or anything like it from gambling. So now he's up there he has small bets in comparison to what he used to have and in his own words very few. You can bet when he does have ago they win and the majority are very short with a lot less risk than trying to back the Champion Hurdle winner e.g.

JP knows what it's like to be on the edge of destruction. If his great pal had not won the Gold Cup on Dawn Run there would be very few or no JP McManus colours flying around Cheltenham because that race was make or break for him.........or so the story goes.

Maybe some of you remember Terry Ramsden the man who knew everybody in racing and a fearless gambler

He knew it all, had horses all over the shop but because he was a fearless gambler despite all the inside info he went flat broke. They say a good week for him was if he lost 2 million.

JP has been there and done it wore the T-shirt and threw it away.

If it were about money he'd have bought 10 good flat horses and changed his name to JP Abdullah instead of asking someone like Ronnie O'leary to find him some nice bumper horses that have had their balls chopped off.

I'd bet a pound to a penny if you asked the man what he'd rather have another Champion Hurdler or pull of a stroke and win 1 million from gambling he go Champion Hurdle every time.

We all know or think we know he still has a punt but the last thing on his mind would be trying to make it pay overall or even covering his costs by mad gambling.

BTW he's probably looking in wondering what on earth are these idiots, myself included, are going to come up with next:lol:

I could only read half that post. I give up.

Back