The JP McManus Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter SlimChance
  • Start date Start date
i have no knowledge of JP's betting activities, but i would imagine he woudl place his bets with traders. To think he would have accounts with bookmakers would be foolish. If hes having a bet, i woudl preusme he would contact his trader(s) and say i want X on Horse A at prices of between Y-Z for example. Just my opinion.

He done an interview in the Limerick Leader this week saying he rathers seeing his friends land a gamble than he himself who rarely gambles now.

Read into that what you will

It doesn't matter who bets for him or how gets it on. To say he bets > 18m in 4 months is crazy, it's far from true and completely impossible.

He had 198 winners last year. Lets assume 60 of them were backed by him. In a 4 month period, he would hence back an average of 20. Based on the rationale above, he would need need to be winning at least 900k per horse backed (based on the rationale that he wins at gambling). Tweak the above figures if you like, but I don't have to say it's horsesh*t to say McManus bets 18m every 4 months.... :rolleyes:

It's simply not possible to be betting big money at small meets to win this kind of money.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter who bets for him or how gets it on. To say he bets > 18m in 4 months is crazy, it's far from true and completely impossible.

He had 198 winners last year.

How many losers did he have?
How many races run in GB & IRE were a large percentage of the field made up of trainers with whom he sends horses each year?
Can you punt in sports other than horse racing?

Last edited:
Can you show me with brief calculations (assumptions fine) how he bets £18m every 4 months and would make a profit?

He had 198 winners last year. Lets assume 60 of them were backed by him. In a 4 month period, he would hence back an average of 20. Based on the rationale above, he would need need to be winning at least 900k per horse backed (based on the rationale that he wins at gambling). Tweak the above figures if you like, but I don't have to say it's horsesh*t to say McManus bets 18m every 4 months.... :rolleyes:

It's simply not possible to be betting big money at small meets to win this kind of money.

My betting volume on Betfair a few years ago was something like 1.2 million.As I've said before I am more or less on the average industrial wage and don't do credit.If I can do that kind of turnover in a year what can JP do.
The elephant in the room is JP's son.

My betting volume on Betfair a few years ago was something like 1.2 million.As I've said before I am more or less on the average industrial wage and don't do credit.If I can do that kind of turnover in a year what can JP do.

:blink:Sweet Jesus!!!

An interesting post.

I used to do some placing for JP.

He used to love his 5p 'Dundee Shuffles' back when Powderhall Dogs used to be on.

True story.

:blink:

I know someone who can turnover £2.5 million a month in shops alone betting predominately on horse racing and he's a hundredth of the man JP is. That's before he even gets to sponsoring shrewd judges on other sports, getting confirmed mugs to place warm money for him, playing football in Asia, spread betting etc.

Given the size JP is playing in, naturally the winning percentage would decrease somewhat as your stake increases, you have to compromise on price but I suspect he would be around a 6% winner on racing. He very likely has astute judges betting into Asia for him on football (as most pro punting syndicates do now) taking advantage of competitive over rounds days before the event, I imagine this business would be at around 2-3% profit and then anything else such as golf (which is incredibly punter friendly with favourable place terms and allows large stakes to be placed) and that's before you get to the money lines and overs/unders markets on US sports.

Not to mention JP's alleged penchant for spread betting...

Last edited:
Good post Gamla. I'm surprised anyone still believes he disciplined. He just plays the numbers. How turnover with low margin.

As I've shown on the golf thread, matchbets are like shooting fish in a barrell. I asked Dicie to get me on one today. I didn't mention a stake I just said give me the max they will lay me. Between Bluesquare and 888 I got €250 on but it's worth the effort.

This started out being about whether or not his betting in racing paid for his racing operation. Not whether he could get the money on across a myriad of sports.

This also started out as a thread to follow which of JP's horses were likely to be gambled.

Yeah lighten up............here's a question to see who is paying attention

Q.: How did JP make money in the Foreign Exchange 3 days ago?

Last edited:
Yeah lighten up............here's a question to see who is paying attention

Q.: How did JP make money in the Foreign Exchange 3 days ago?

Open Day won the Weatherbys Foreign Exchange Handicap Hurdle at Leicester ;)

This also started out as a thread to follow which of JP's horses were likely to be gambled.

Great thread,Slim - though it has to be said the only thing that's put us closer to that understanding are the words of the man, himself (Thanks for the article, GS).

Not denying that; great thread.

My point still stands though.

I've no doubt his horse betting shows a seven figure profit.If you want go question figures lets go with training fees. Do you honestly think JP pays full whack to every trainer?

I've no doubt his horse betting shows a seven figure profit.If you want go question figures lets go with training fees. Do you honestly think JP pays full whack to every trainer?

No.

But the rough numbers I threw together understate what he really spends as I was too low on the number of horses and didn't even consider acquisition costs.

How much do you reckon he spends at the sales each year?

Don't see the relevance in training fees at all. We are talking millions here and a trainer can only discount so much or it simply isn't worth his while having them.

As he helped fianance Jackdaw I doubt if he asks Jonjo for one cent in discount. The amounts involved mean nothing to JP but mean a lot more to Jonjo plus they are very close and the mans not going to help him with one hand and hit him with the other. JP is known for his generosity not for being a penny pincher. He wants people around him to succeed.

You are talking about a guy who went to 80,000 pounds in a charity auction bidding for a game of golf with one of his friends. Has raised millions upon millions for charities home and away and you think he cuts his little Irish mates lunch by asking for discounts?

I have heard that due to his many commitments JP vists Jackdaw very seldom but when he does Jonjo charges him for breakfast:lol:

Back