The King George

Looks like I agree with Pricewise for once. I don't think there'll be a new name on the roll of honour this season.

surprised so many people opposing Long Run, I think he is a proper odds on chance for this.

With a jockey he would be a 1/2 chance for me, with the amateur 4/5 would be interesting too.

I'm starting to get the feeling that they won't run Kauto in this, that he'll go straight to Cheltenham. I think he's got the better chance at Kempton, and always has.

And the stable seem confident about Master Minded, though I can't say I share it.

surprised so many people opposing Long Run, I think he is a proper odds on chance for this.

With a jockey he would be a 1/2 chance for me, with the amateur 4/5 would be interesting too.

Not so much opposing as sitting out.
You'd have to believe his problems at Haydock were down to lack of fitness (or - he didn't have a problem). Given the noises coming from connections before the race, I find that hard to swallow.

What I saw as the standout value is slowly disappearing, 12/1 & bigger then 10, now 8/1 on Somersby in the w/o Long Run market with Hills, I wouldn't take any more, shorter than 8's.

What I saw as the standout value is slowly disappearing, 12/1 & bigger then 10, now 8/1 on Somersby in the w/o Long Run market with Hills, I wouldn't take any more, shorter than 8's.

12/1 was value for a horse who;

- Has won 5 races in 3 years (NHF, Class 3 Novice Hurdle, Class 4 Novice Chase, Grade 2 Novice & Class 2 Handicap Chase)
- Went two years without winning a race
- Trainer suspects the horse has no stamina
- Horse has never won a Grade 1
- His last three wins he's only beaten 12 runners

Some of the comments in his races in last two years;

- Not fluent
- Hung left, one paced
- Blundered, weakend next
- Unseated rider leaving the paddock, blundered, hit the next
- Not fluent, one paced
- Hung, weakend the next
- Pushed along, stayed on one paced

This horse would be lucky to even find himself running in a King George, most overhyped plodder making all the right noises in a village full of thickos.

I would make Somersby a 100-1 shot for winning the King George! it will see Kautos arsehole all the way around and will probably be eating the shit flying off its hoofs too

Last edited:
12/1 was value for a horse who;

- Has won 5 races in 3 years (NHF, Class 3 Novice Hurdle, Class 4 Novice Chase, Grade 2 Novice & Class 2 Handicap Chase)
- Went two years without winning a race
- Trainer suspects the horse has no stamina
- Horse has never won a Grade 1
- His last three wins he's only beaten 12 runners

Some of the comments in his races in last two years;

- Not fluent
- Hung left, one paced
- Blundered, weakend next
- Unseated rider leaving the paddock, blundered, hit the next
- Not fluent, one paced
- Hung, weakend the next
- Pushed along, stayed on one paced

This horse would be lucky to even find himself running in a King George, most overhyped plodder making all the right noises in a village full of thickos.

I would make Somersby a 100-1 shot for winning the King George! it will see Kautos arsehole all the way around and will probably be eating the shit flying off its hoofs too

not keen then?

Well I think Somersby could run a big race so there :p

He turns out at Huntingdon tomorrow:

NO. FORM HORSE AGE WGT TRAINER RTF% JOCKEY OR
1 574-58 Tartak 8 11-10 Tom George Paddy Brennan 161
2 3/1P-3 The Nightingale 8 11-10 Paul Nicholls Daryl Jacob167
3 528-1F Gauvain 9 11-6 Nick Williams Noel Fehily 159
4 600-11 Mr Moonshine 7 11-6 Sue Smith Henry Oliver152
5 253-12 Somersby 7 11-6 Hen Knight Dominic Elsworth 166
6 2725-3 Tchico Polos 7 11-6 Lucinda Russell P Buchanan 157
7 1911-2 Hidden Keel 6 11-2 Charlie Longsdon Felix De Giles 148
8 F1532- Surfing 5 11-0 Nicky Henderson Barry Geraghty 150

Last edited:
Somersby has been a friend of mine betting wise, but that's admittedly because I've either backed him each way or straight for a place.

I think he'll run well at Kempton and could reach the frame again but as usual in these races, I don't see him winning.

Somersby has been a friend of mine betting wise, but that's admittedly because I've either backed him each way or straight for a place.

I think he'll run well at Kempton and could reach the frame again but as usual in these races, I don't see him winning.

Very sensible... I think that place betting with this horse is the trick to making money out of him. He's often a big enough price to do this and while hardly ever threatening enough to actually win, will like the good herd horse he is follow the leader home.

This represents Somersby's best chance of a race win in his last umpteen starts, imo. He is well served by the race conditions.

Agree with the above posts. Underrated horse imho, runs consistently well at the highest level and tomorrow represents an ideal opportunity for a confidence boosting win. I have backed him antepost at 20/1 ew for the KG. He generally seems to be outpaced at the business end over shorter trips before staying on strongly so he may well have more to offer upped to 3 miles. Definitely looks to be only playing for place money at Kempton as Long Run will surely win comfortably barring a dodgy jump :cool:

Boylesports are offering 5/1 Somersby in the Peterborough as an enhanced bet special for about the next hour.

...seems big! Worth mentioning that Hen is not sure he's the right type to win this, she reckons he might not be sharp enough. Mind you she's like that.

It may have ended already as tried to back again and was not available or it may be that I have used my quota.

Back