The King George

What are you both seeing that I am not?

I think it's the memory of his Feltham demolition job and the thought that he'll come on for the run at Haydock. Also possibly deep ground. But he's short enough given his overall profile. 7/2 in comparison to Captain Chris for example at 12s is just wrong. And it could be argued that Menorah is of similar merit on a line through SC and he's 33/1. That is a tidy each way price.

Cue Card is a collosus who is generally under-estimated by a half-stone due to who trains and who rides.

He is miles clear of the opposition on form, and should be a 6/4 shot in this company. He will bounce-off in front, jump/gallop them into submission, and win hard-held.

Personally think it's more about how he ran in this last year than any doubts about trainer/jockey. Anyway the 10/3 now available with 888sport looks too big to ignore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was surprised to see Menorah down to run [he seems to have been around forever]. How likely is he to run, though? Hobbs has such a good record for getting horses placed in the race.

Unbelievably even with all the rain, it may be no worse that Soft according to the RP...

"Kempton clerk of the course Barney Clifford continues to predict the King George ground will be no worse than soft, although the words "soft in places" were on Sunday added to the general good to soft description.

Clifford said: "The course has taken the rain exceptionally well but there is more to come and I think we have to expect a gradual deterioration towards soft ground. The forecast is for between 10mm and 20mm of rain tomorrow but the forecast for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day is now looking better"

A small but very select field:

Al Ferof
Champion Court
Cue Card
Dynaste
Long Run
Menorah
Mount Benbulben
Riverside Theatre
Silviniaco Conti

Henderson resorting to a visor for Long Run and both blinkers and a hood for Riverside

A small but very select field:

Al Ferof
Champion Court
Cue Card
Dynaste
Long Run
Menorah
Mount Benbulben
Riverside Theatre
Silviniaco Conti

Henderson resorting to a visor for Long Run and both blinkers and a hood for Riverside

Cracker

Cue Card
Al ferof
Long Run in that order

Just ignoring the form a minute i thought it might be interesting seeing how well the leading contenders trainers do in December with their chasers

Colin Tizzard

2009 = 0/25
2010 = 1/11
2011 = 4/21
2012 = 2/27
2013 = 0/10

7 wins from 94 = 7.4%

his overall strike rate with chasers is 14%

Martin Pipe

2009 = 5/27
2010 = 2/12
2011 = 3/27
2012 = 7/33
2013 = 0/17

17 wins from 116 = 14.6%

overall strike rate with chasers = 17%

Both Nicholls and Henderson don't need looking at..both in good recent form this month with their chasers and historically of course

Tizzard wouldn't be a stable i'd be that happy supporting in December over the big ones...wonder if that played a part in last years performance by Cue Card...oh no..that would be nonsense...or would it?;)

My old mate Martin Pipe usually does well in November ...but 0/17 this time isn't pulling many trees up...slightly tempers my confidence in Dynaste tbh

Last edited:
If you feel the horse may be affected by a long journey be aware that strong winds have forced Mount Benbulben to travel to Scotland via a ferry and then a long road trip to Kempton.

I think this is going to be Al Ferof's day. French Opera's cracking run at Cheltenham showed that the old boy is not a back number and Al Ferof was ruthless . Very few horses win the Paddy Power off that weight in that manner .

I think this is going to be Al Ferof's day. French Opera's cracking run at Cheltenham showed that the old boy is not a back number and Al Ferof was ruthless . Very few horses win the Paddy Power off that weight in that manner .

Should be a belter... I backed Dynaste for this after the Betfair. Cue Card and Al Ferof are obvious dangers and I’ve fond memories of Nicky getting Marlborough back to his best at the age of 10 to give Best Mate a race in this. So I’m not ruling out Long Run doing something half decent.

had a go at making my own prices for this and came up with

3/1 Cue Card
5/1 Silviniaco Conti
5/1 Dynaste
13/2 Menorah
9/1 Al Ferof
10/1 Long Run
25/1 Riverside Theatre
33/1 Mount Benbulben
50/1 Champion Court

Menorah looks value to me at 26.0 on Betfair

Dynaste..as has been pointed out earlier in the thread ..is too short

I'm out of kilter with Al Ferof as well...or the real market is.

with the doubt about Pipe's chasers putting me off Dynaste... i think i'm going to have a go at Menorah win+place

Like Euro, I have both CC and AF for nice lumps ante-post, and any winner outside of those two (other than perhaps Dynaste), will be a severe disappointment - I just can't have any of the 'old guard' at all, and expect them to be roundly cuffed.

Last edited:
Barney Clifford 2012

Persistent wet weather continues to wipe out race meetings around the country but it appears, for the moment at least, that there is no threat to the King George VI Chase on Kempton's Boxing Day card. The going there is no worse than soft and Barney Clifford, the clerk of the course, said on Friday: "We're in a good place.

"I've just walked it and it's an amazing track, like a colander. We had an inch of rain last weekend, it took that well, and we had another inch yesterday and it's taken that well, too.

"We're forecast another 25mm to 30mm before midnight on Christmas Eve, then Christmas Day and Boxing Day should be dry with a risk of the odd shower. So it'll be soft at best.
----------------------------------------------

Going on the day 'HEAVY'

Not a Tom Scu fan then?
Don't mind him personally, Apart from that petty wave after beating Denman.

Nah, I'd still punt him on certain horses but would rather other men doing the steering. He's better than he was but he's still a bit meh!

Back