Kensington Oval 14
Patkai 14
Captain Webb 20
Dr Faustus 20
Bouguereau 25
Winchester 25
Ancient Lights 33
Checklow 33

Really taken with AVolta run in the Derby.
It´s too early for this market, but he would be my pick right now.

Conduit makes most appeal of those prices but I think the race would also be an obvious target for Curtain Call.

I don't think Tartan Bearer would go for the Leger and of Stoute's other two I'd prefer Patkai to Conduit. However, Look Here's time at Epsom was so good that in receipt of the fillies' allowance she'd be a confident selection if she turns up at Doncaster. The trainer's comments today suggest that she might.

My three for the moment would be Look Here, Dr Fremantle and Bougereau
Don't think TB will go, and can't see Curtain Call getting the trip at all

Generally agree with gus, given that connections are strongly considering it I wouldn't want to be laying Look Here at 10s.

I've thought that Doctor Fremantle was an ideal Leger type since his win at Chester, nothing has happened to change my mind since - he loomed up at one point but couldn't match the turn of foot of the three horses in front of him. Obviously Look Here must also enter the mix, she'd be a very interesting proposition if she did take on the colts. I think time will show her Oaks win was no fluke and that she is pretty useful - she had the Oaks won from quite a way out. The manner of her win surprised me a little even though I did fancy her in the first place.

Not sure what race you were watching? Doctor Fremantle didn't stay the trip as well as others, and I don't see any reason why a step up in trip would bring about any improvement; I would strongly think it would have the opposite effect.

Dr Fremantle will do better over a bit further, he didn't have the speed at the business end for the Derby. Along with several others in the Press I was of that opinion before the race, as presumably is SL.

I also think he will have quite a bit of improvement in him esp if trained for the race, whereas I don't think Tartan Bearer will have scope for so much over the summer [not that I think he will be aimed at the race]

Beckett thinks Look Here will easily stay the distance and looks the likely winner to me right now, but Bougereau should not be overlooked. I marked him down as a Leger horse when looking closely at the Derby, and his owners have gone on record since, as coming to the same conclusion, and it looks like he's going to be aimed there.

I was impressed with Kensington Oval´s Maiden win on Friday night, despite running very green he picked up when asked at 12f+ could well be the making of him, saying that he´s likely priced on who trains him rather than what he´s done thus far.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Jun 9 2008, 07:58 PM
Look Here mus also enter the mix, she'd be avery interesting interesting proposition if she did take on the colts. I think time will show her Oaks win was no fluke and that she is pretty useful -
FWIW, I hold a rating that suggests she's bloody good

Also FWIW, I also hold one that suggests that Captain Webb is under the radar

HS is pretty much right, I just don't think Doctor Freemantle had the turn of foot to match the principles in the end (which was what I said in my comment a few posts up!) For a non-stayer he didn't run too badly, especially in a Derby though, eh??

Originally posted by Andrew Hurley@Jun 10 2008, 12:34 PM
Not sure what race you were watching? Doctor Fremantle didn't stay the trip as well as others, and I don't see any reason why a step up in trip would bring about any improvement; I would strongly think it would have the opposite effect.
Plenty of better judges than Shadow Leader (shurely shome mishtake ~ Ed) believe that Doctor Fremantle will be an ideal Leger candidate. He looks like a horse who'll stay well to my "big thicko" eyes.

Always one of the best bits post-Derby: trying to figure out which horses finished midfield because they didn't stay, and which ones finished midfield because they weren't quick enough!

He should find the St Leger distance much to his liking, imo. His pedigree certainly suggests this.

Agreed Gareth - but 4th of 16 is not mid-field :P

In fact it's the same position in which last year's St Leger winner Lucarno finished (and 1 place in front of Soldier of Fortune). It's been remarked that Dr F might have finished 3rd if he hadn't run so free early on - he was up in the van all the way and even leading for a while.

Doctor Fremantle is by Sadlers Wells out of a Rainbow Quest mare (Summer Breeze), and can be expected to say further since both sires seem able to impart stamina beyond the distance they won at - esp SW. In addition the colt's full sister Summer Breeze has improved markedly since tried over longer distances.

Another factor is, should the ground turn soft in September Dr F should on breeding be able to handle it.
The same however goes for Look Here who will love it!

You nicked it from the weighing room during your drunken antics?! Btw Rory, I was most p*ssed off to discover that had I gone I wouldn't have had the problem finding a spot to camp out at most of the day - not impressed!

Can pass on some light on this;

Kensington Oval will be aimed at the Leger, with Patkai (king George Hcp bound next week) in reserve.

D/F will drop back to 10f, TB off to Ireland then been told if he wins that he will stand at Ballymacoll alongsides Golan and Spectrum next season.

Chris

Originally posted by rorydelargy@Jun 10 2008, 10:55 PM
Bit of trivia ~ does anyone know what became of Doctor Fremantle's numbercloth?
Give it a week and it will probably be on ebay :D

Back