The Leger

Interesting they are going to drop Dr F back in trip - I wonder if that's because of Look Here's plans!
I suppose they have time to try that before going for the Leger if it doesn't work

Well come on Rory, don't be such a tease! Is there a footballer called Fremantle or what~??!

Ah! Arkers has probably sussed it :D

I'll believe it when I see it that Dr Fremantle will be campaigned over a shorter trip and won't be aimed at the Leger.

I was rather taken by Kensington Ovals debut win last week at Sandown but obviously a bit risky backing ante post with the stable having such a strong hand in the staying three year old division.

TB off to Ireland then been told if he wins that he will stand at Ballymacoll alongsides Golan and Spectrum next season.

Are you sure about that Chris? Golan's at Coolmore, Spectrum was in South Africa last I saw, and Ballymacoll don't actually stand any stallions themselves. Unless there's big changes afoot?

Although they don't stand under their banner, I think you will find they still own the horses.

I heard that TB through a good source will be joining the stud operation, I wasn't aware they didn't stand them, themselves but it seems they do actually own their horses still.

Ballymacoll have him listed as their property, as do they have Golan.

I would hazard a guess, they stand at other studs but are privately owned, so they would pay the stud who stands them a comission.

Liked those spectrums they where hardy and talented. Here's a few to refresh the memory.

Gamut (IRE)
Marionnaud (IRE)
Alarazi (IRE)
Napper Tandy (IRE)
Rum Charger (IRE)
Hinton Admiral

A very dodgy stallion for me, who for the chances he received was pretty disappointing. The lack of interest in that line was highlighted by how quickly they shipped Golan off to the NH sphere.

Thanks for the update on KO Chris. Seems to be the least exposed of all those on the list - looks standard practice these days to just list anything that ran in the Derby and the Oaks runner in the St. Leger market.

Presume KO heads to the Gordon Stakes or the listed race at Newmarket next.

Spectrum has been very disappointing, especially in light of the excellent books of mares he received in his first few years at stud.

Good to see that Dr Fremantle looks to be aiming for the St Leger, with connections stating in today's RP that he is heading for the Great Voltigeur, then they'll see about running him in the St Leger since they want to
get by one little hurdle first before thinking of Classics

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't think he needs dropping back in trip!!!

I thought he was very ordinary. The front of the market on Betfair is interesting:

Patkai 4.2
Frozen Fire 5.6
Look Here 8.2
Conduit 8.6

I think with the Leger that layers go artifically short on Stoute animals because their philosophy is one of, well he`s bound to win it someday. Patkai and Conduit should both be at least a couple of points bigger. I don`t punt ante-post on this race as User Friendly is my only winner but if I did Frozen Fire and Look Here both look decent enough value.

I think Conduit should be one deffo to leave off, he will be put in there to help Patkai who has proven to stay at this distance, Ryan Moore will have the choice of both, he will certainly take Patkai.

Look Here or Patkai are the ones for me thus far.

Think this much pretty much rules the horse out of the Leger...

Brian Fleming

FROZEN FIRE, who is as short as 7-2 for next month's Ladbrokes St Leger, was described on Monday as “far from certain” to take his chance in the final Classic of the season.

Only Queen's Vase winner Patkai was trading shorter than the Irish Derby winner for the Doncaster race on September 6, and although trainer Aidan O'Brien said he is back in work after a break following his Curragh triumph at the end of June, he added: “We are thinking of giving him an Arc prep or a racecourse gallop before possibly going for the Arc. He's far from certain to go for St Leger.”

Thought it was a strange move - they've never sent a previous Classic winner to the Leger, have they?

None come to mind off the top of my head anyway, Gareth.

At the same time, I can't help but wonder what, if anything, this says about Soldier of Fortune's prospects. In fairness, the Arc would seem the logical target for Frozen Fire and Ballydoyle aren't afraid of having a right go at the Arc (as they proved last year).

Just relying on Soldier of Fortune is very risky considering it could turn out to be the best renewal for a number of years.

The Oaks filly seems very overpriced for the Leger. Is she deffo going for the Yorkshire Oaks?

Back