The Leger

I think Midas Touch is a more solid option than the Godolphin horse. He probably doesn't have the same amount of scope as Rewilding, but has already proved that he has improved considerably from the Derby at the Curragh which Rewilding hasn't.

The obvious worry is that if Rewilding has improved from Epsom he probably possesses a turn of foot that that would probably put Midas Touch doesn't. All in all though, I couldn't be backing a Godolphin horse with so much to prove in these circumstances. I could just as easily see him go backwards than making a signifcant leap forwards from the Derby.

What does Rewilding have to prove though? Second to the second placed horse in the jockey club and GP de Paris, won his Derby trial as easy as you like, and third in the Derby when a classic example of not handling the track.

He may not win, but form-wise he is rock solid, and receives 3 pounds from a horse he beat when he didn't handle the track.

Last edited:
What does Rewilding have to prove though? Second to the second placed horse in the jockey club and GP de Paris, won his Derby trial as easy as you like, and third in the Derby when a classic example of not handling the track.

Does he not have to prove that he has actually improved as much he promised to from the Derby (a very promising run admittedly)?

If he reproduces his Derby run I don't think he will beat Midas Touch. Anyway, I think he'll either go forwards or backwards and, given the consensus regarding Bin Suroor's handling of these types of horses, I would not want to be taking the prices on offer about him stepping up despite the scope he obviously possesses.

All of this said, I have not had a bet in the race.

I thought Rewilding ran an excellent St Leger trial in the Derby, particularly as he looked like he was very unfurnished at Epsom and would come on a great deal when strengthening up.

I still think he'll take a bit of beating in the Leger, but today I'd just be leaning toward Midas Touch (despite the penalty) who I think will strip the more match fit. He has a good way of going about things and it'll take a good one to beat him today.

The form of the Derby looks poor to me, how many have come out and won from the race since?

Derby form looks okay ... The 4th and 5th have come out and ran second and third in the Irish Derby, and the first showed this to be decent form in the King George; Planteur, who beat Rewilding in France, has since run second in both the jockey club and GP de Paris.

Workforce ran too bad to be true, and it's clear Ballydoyle had no intention of making At First Sight into a top horse (they're probably right).

Al Zir, 6th, yet to run.

It doesn't look to bad to me as things stand..

Personally I think Rewilding will strip much the fitter of the pair - and should win.

I think they have been taking it quite gingerly with Rewilding since the Derby, not wanting to push him too hard too soon. I'd be impressed if he can win today.

Midas Touch looks a more robust type and one that is making good steady progress. I would not rule out that Rewilding could get the better of MT in the Leger, but today I'll be siding with the O'Brien horse.

Last edited:
I'll only get to see the race itself - any views on how Rewilding looks? Have backed him regardless but be good to have some confidence!

Rewilding wins easily.

Thought the race went perfect for him - with Murtagh pushing on after sitting on a very hard pace (visually anyway) early on.

Joshua Tree ran a cracker before blowing up.

Whilst still looking a little light, he looked better to me today, albeit I only saw him properly for the first time behind the stalls.

Looks a proper racehorse.

He certainly looked better than at The Derby but that would not be hard. It would have been extremely disappointing if he had turned up looking similar after such a long break - very short now for the Leger but he looks likely to relish any ease in the ground.

Doubt he would be good enough for the Arc.

On a simplistic line through Jan Vermeer from Epsom and the Curragh (assuming Midas Touch improved between the two Derbys), he won by about what you'd expect.

Joshua Tree travelled very nicely when tracking Rewilding.

Rewilding wins easily.

Thought the race went perfect for him - with Murtagh pushing on after sitting on a very hard pace (visually anyway) early on.

Very good... You'd have to be pleased with that. Looks a nice colt with the Leger at his mercy.

I would wait until closer to the day - on soft ground he would be very hard to beat but if it did come up fast at Doncaster I would not give up on the second and third today.

Rewilding was very impressive, but I wouldn't rule either of the Ballydoyle horses out of the Leger picture. Joshua Tree should come on for his first run in eleven months and Midas Touch was conceding three pounds today.

Midas Touch looked big to me at a double figure price on Betfair last night.I never have any luck with Godolphin horses and I have a doubt about Joshua Tree.

Iwas there on Tuesday and would never have backed Joshua tree after seeing him in the paddock; he was carrying plenty of condition. Having said that and despite his good run he looks a 10-12f horse to me. Rewilding has the physique of a long distance runner, lean , athletic and really long legs! he looks like a gangly teen and will make an immense 4yo. I think he is a shoe in for the leger, if he runs. I'd be tempted by the arc if he were mine.

Back