The Leger

Watching the Voltigeur again they did go like scalded cats and giving weight and having been close to the pace Midas Touch seems to me to come out of the race with a lot of credit.

Watching the Voltigeur again they did go like scalded cats and giving weight and having been close to the pace Midas Touch seems to me to come out of the race with a lot of credit.

He's a great yardstick for the race. I can't help feeling something will prove a bit too good for him though.

The Voltigeur was a really good race and I'd expect the Leger to be between the first three at York. Snow Fairy is an interesting entry but I haven't been impressed with the 3yo fillies in general and she mightn't have beaten much.

Plenty of rain forecast for this week so the ground will not be on the Good To Firm side thats for sure. Good news for Rewilding.

Donny drains like topsy and the rain is forecast much more for the west of the Pennines at present . So wait and see I reckon .

Dry overnight. Monday Dry & bright am & overcast pm. Monday night in to Tuesday heavy rain possible 23mm forecast. Tuesday- light rain am & Dry pm Unsettled thereafter with sunshine & showers for the remainder of the week.

Red-hot favourite Rewilding features among 12 remaining entries for the Ladbrokes St Leger at Doncaster on Saturday.

The Godolphin-owned colt was a hugely impressive winner of the Great Voltigeur at York last month, a performance that propelled him to the head of the betting for the world's oldest Classic.

Ed Dunlop's dual Oaks winner Snow Fairy could bid to become the first filly to win the Leger since User Friendly in 1992, although the forecast rain could give connections a headache.

Aidan O'Brien has saddled Milan (2001), Brian Boru (2003) and Scorpion (2005) to win the Town Moor showpiece and he has left Bright Horizon, Flying Cross, Joshua Tree and Midas Touch in this year's renewal.

Arctic Cosmos and Dandino are both major contenders, while Corsica, Ted Spread, Theology and Total Command complete the possibles.

I hope Flying Cross is allowed to take his chance, i've got him at some lovely prices.

Irish Leger Prices -

Rite Of Passage 7/2
Opinion Poll 5/2
Profound Beauty 5/1
Sans Frontieres 11/2
Kite Wood 6/1
Tactic 12/1
Joshua Tree 14/1
Flying Cross 16/1
20/1 bar

Ballydoyle have confirmed Joshua Tree and Midas Touch for Doncaster so Flying Cross and Lady Lupus will be their representatives here. I think 16/1 Flying Cross is pretty tempting considering the improvement Await The Dawn made from a similar return (in a similar race) and the step up in trip on soft ground will suit him well. When Murtagh is jocked up on him he surely won't be that price.

You would imagine the going will be the key but yeah, won't be 16/1 if Murtagh up.

Is he staying in Ireland then?

I am assuming he is considering the National Stakes is the race they will want to win above all.

It is still thumping rain here.

The Irish St Leger is a tough race to win for three year olds.. only one has won the race in the last twenty years....Vinnie Roe..

Perhaps Murtagh won't be at The Curragh....

Aidan O'Brien was unable to shed much light on the jockey situation for his two intended runners, Joshua Tree and Midas Touch.
"It's very possible Johnny Murtagh will ride at Doncaster but it's not definite," said O'Brien.
"We have the National Stakes and the Irish St Leger in Ireland that day and it's all a bit up in the air."

South Yorkshire got plenty of rain last night but it stopped in the early hours. I've not seen the forecast but there would need to be substantial further rainfall for the ground to be soft come Saturday.

Looking at Joshua Tree - is he guaranteed to get 1m6f on pedigree? Any further rain greatly enhances Rewildings chances imo.

Hughes has been booked to ride Arabian Gleam in the Park Stakes - Murtagh rides him normally . This suggests he will be at the Curragh.

Unless of course Air Chief Marshall is running !

Last edited:
Back