The Leger

Looking at it again, I think Midas Touch deserves significant credit for racing against a fairly strong pace bias and managing to keep on so well.

I'd be interested to watch Rewilding's run through the race; I have a suspicion he didn't travel as well through the middle stages of the race as he did in the straight.

I was studying the St. Leger field and history of the race when I noticed this interesting little statistic.

St Leger – history of runners who’s Dam’s Sire was Diesis

2009 – Mastery 1st
2008 – no qualifiers
2007 – Lucarno 1st
2006 – Sixties Icon 1st ------ Race was run at York
2005 – no qualifiers
2004 – no qualifiers
2003 – no qualifiers
2002 – no qualifiers
2001 – no qualifiers
2000 – no qualifiers

2010 entries whose Dam’s Sire is Diesis

Flying Cross – 33/1 W.Hill – 50.0 betfair --- St. Leger

Entered Wednesday 25th 7:45 Bellestown 1m6f – first race of the season.

I don't expect Flying Cross will make the St. Leger field but if he hacks up on Wednesday night he might so I'm backing him for both - small stake for St. Leger.

Snow Fairy would be a massive threat if she stays IMO and that GVS did rather fall into his lap after a silly pace.

Rewilding coming down the hill was as obvious an example of the horse not handling the track as you'll ever see. Nothing about the way the Voltigeur panned out to me suggests it is anything but a good renewal.

Rewilding coming down the hill was as obvious an example of the horse not handling the track as you'll ever see. Nothing about the way the Voltigeur panned out to me suggests it is anything but a good renewal.

Absolutely - he did really well to get to where he was given how he handled (or didnt) the track.

Agreed on both counts, but surely outpacing a prominently-ridden galloping type whilst having the run of the race is a world away from form needed to be competitive in an Arc?

I think he's a worthy favourite for the Leger, though I wouldn't be altogether shocked if Midas Touch turned around the York form at Doncaster. Just purely out of interest, was Midas Touch's performance in the Voltigeur marked up by Timeform due to the way he was ridden?

Last edited:
I'm not suggesting Rewilding should go for anything other than Leger, merely pointing out that suggesting that the Voltigeur was a weak Group 2 was disingenuous.

Regarding Midas Touch, his master rating remains on 123, gained from performance figs in the irish Derby and Voltigeur. So he's not been given extra over the bare form, but you wouldn't be surprised to see him eke a couple of pound more for the Leger trip would you.

He was beaten out of sight in the Derby - winning a weak G2 at York does not necessarily an Arc winner make.

Bizarre comment about Epsom. Agree completely with DJ and Galileo.

Weak Group 2? Eh, wasn't the horse just beaten in the Irish Derby present? The King Edward Stakes winner? The Royal Lodge win (who admittedly will come on for the race. And he destroyed them, by an easy 4 lengths.

You will see very few Group 2s producing a rating which Rewilding ran to.

Last edited:
Latest entries..

Arctic Cosmos
Await The Dawn (USA)
Bright Horizon
Buzzword
Cape Blanco (IRE)
Corsica (IRE)
Dandino
Flying Cross (IRE)
Joshua Tree (IRE)
Midas Touch
Rewilding
Ted Spread
Theology
Total Command
Vibrant Force (USA)
Snow Fairy (IRE)

Runs tomorrow at Tipperary SC.

I was studying the St. Leger field and history of the race when I noticed this interesting little statistic.

St Leger – history of runners who’s Dam’s Sire was Diesis

2009 – Mastery 1st
2008 – no qualifiers
2007 – Lucarno 1st
2006 – Sixties Icon 1st ------ Race was run at York
2005 – no qualifiers
2004 – no qualifiers
2003 – no qualifiers
2002 – no qualifiers
2001 – no qualifiers
2000 – no qualifiers

2010 entries whose Dam’s Sire is Diesis

Flying Cross – 33/1 W.Hill – 50.0 betfair --- St. Leger

Entered Wednesday 25th 7:45 Bellestown 1m6f – first race of the season.

I don't expect Flying Cross will make the St. Leger field but if he hacks up on Wednesday night he might so I'm backing him for both - small stake for St. Leger.

He is going to get entry for the Niel but weither the Arc comes around too soon or not I do not know but they are very happy with him.

Runs tomorrow at Tipperary SC.

Thanks Galileo - Flying Cross is certainly bred in the purple - I see his dam is Ramruma who won the English/Irish/Yorkshire Oaks and whose only defeat as a 3yo(6 races) was when she finished 2nd in the St. Leger. The plot thickens :D

It sounded like Flying Cross won easy enough unfortunately I had to listen to the commentary as Mrs and kids took over T.V. for Eastenders, did anyone see the race?

Yes won cosy but still looked green/tricky in front. Love how he uses himself and there was lots of money for him.

Is there a possibility they'll send one of their Leger horses to the Curragh for the Irish version now that Age of Aquarius is out of the picture (and talking of older horses, whatever happened to Yankee Doodle?)

Also, does anyone know why Murtagh gave up his rides at Tipperary this evening?

Is there a possibility they'll send one of their Leger horses to the Curragh for the Irish version now that Age of Aquarius is out of the picture (and talking of older horses, whatever happened to Yankee Doodle?)

Good point - I think both Midas Touch and JT will run at Doncaster while you could see them run Flying Cross, Await The Dawn and Lady Lupus in the Irish Leger. On the same day yeah?

Good point - I think both Midas Touch and JT will run at Doncaster while you could see them run Flying Cross, Await The Dawn and Lady Lupus in the Irish Leger. On the same day yeah?

Yes, they're both on 11th September. Await The Dawn isn't entered in the Curragh Leger.

Last edited:
Back