The Leger

Ah I like the Leger as a race - always good viewing. He might be right but I was surprised to hear Holt say that straight after the race!

The Oaks winner was fourth, the Derby third the favourite . This was a perfectly good Leger- the Irish Leger however is a Group 2 at best .

I think Holt was taking the piss out of idiots like Chapman who had being saying it before the race .

Ahern's ride looks worse and worse - why did he not nudge her closer earlier in the straight - she was four lengths back before he asked for an effort.

Good on Jason Weaver spotting that Rewilding looked light - by the sounds of it they would have been better coming straight here from the Derby - the horse sounds like hard races take masses out of him .

Great ride from Peslier...always going to get there in the last furlong. Flying Cross has loads and loads of ability and probably was a bit green but looks the type that might be a bit "spooky" even with further experience. In him and Await The Dawn Ballydoyle have introduced a couple of nice late maturing types.

Ah I like the Leger as a race - always good viewing. He might be right but I was surprised to hear Holt say that straight after the race!

The joint owner said when interviewed prior to the race that they were hopeful but he could see the horse coming up the hill at Cheltenham in the Champion Hurdle hence the comment from Holt.

The joint owner said when interviewed prior to the race that they were hopeful but he could see the horse coming up the hill at Cheltenham in the Champion Hurdle hence the comment from Holt.

Ah ok! Thanks...I did think it was a little strange (bordering disrespectful!) from Holt but that puts it in another light.

Snow Fairy travelled like the best horse in that race . If her conqueror Midday wins the Vermeille decisively surely they must let her have a go at the Arc .

Noseda's horse Sans Frontieres will surely take a world of beating in the Irish race. Sure to improve again for stepping up and already has the edge on ratings in the race.

Good call in the end, Steve. Didn't turn into the war of attrition I had hoped for (despite the attritional conditions) and I thought it was the Noseda horse's turn of foot that won it for him in the day. Profound Beauty travels so well but will always be vulnerable to a horse with a turn of foot at the top level for me.

Hard to know what to make of the Irish Leger. Profound Beauty bombed in it last year on soft, but ran a close 2nd on soft today. Peslier was very, very cool on the winner and won snug enough. Flying Cross ran a good race for a 3YO (who have a poor record in this) and looks a decent prospect. Even I could see that Kite Wood looked absolutely awful in the parade ring and he ran accordingly.

I thought it was the Noseda horse's turn of foot that won it for him in the day...
It was. Final 3f for winner was about 36.2 sec, which translates to a closing sectional speed of around 110% of average race speed. Much higher than would usually be the case.

Under those circumstances he is a damn good horse. I think he has a serious chance in the Melbourne Cup providing that also comes down to relative speed rather than a slog.

Profound Beauty is hardly likely to get a Group 1 into her now - conditions turned against her today and I think it was lack of stamina rather than lack of speed that saw her get beat -although SF could just be the better horse full stop.

Back