The Leger

Ground has dried out a little and the forecast has improved....good news. Hate seeing the Leger run in a bog like the year Scorpion won.

Doncaster drains like a sieve, I'd expect it to be Good to Firm by Saturday if they have no more substantial rain.

Looks a penalty kick for Rewiliding but I won't be getting involved at the prices. Probably bolster my Arc portfolio with him before the race instead!

I'm distraught I missed the 20's about Rajik earlier in the week for the Irish Leger. He's still a fair price at 14's given that he's improved hand over fist this summer (winning a slowly-run Listed race at Galway last time despite it patently not presenting a stiff enough test of stamina) and with conditions likely to bring about further improvement.

The same certainly can't be said of a few of those in front of him in the market - particularly the front two, both of whom I would have serious doubts about if it gets as soft as is predicted by our resident Curragh weather expert (Galileo).

Good dry and windy day today. Another dry forecast predicted for tomorrow but then...

Changeable and unsettledWet and windy weather will spread countrywide during Thursday night. Wet and windy on Friday with some heavy and thundery rain in places. But the rain should give way to more showery weather over Connacht and Ulster for the afternoon. Winds fresh to strong southwesterly will moderate later in the days. Top temperatures on Friday 16 to 20 degrees. Showers at times overnight in many areas with some heavy and possibly thundery. Saturday will be a brighter, fresher day with sunny spells and showers; some of the showers may be heavy. Top temperatures 16 to 19 degrees in moderate west to northwest breezes.

Flying Cross won't go to Doncaster, he's running in Ireland... I suppose that's what you have backed him for?

Last edited:
All change

Total Command runs

Ahern rides Snow Fairy

Hughes claimed by Hannon to ride at Goodwood as no Hannon runners at Donny and Hanagan rides Theology

O'Donoghue on Midas Touch Spencer on Joshua Tree

Backed him for both in the end - would like to hear Mr Murtagh is riding him now.

I understand he is. I think they confirmed that in this morning's paper, which I haven't got to hand now. No doubt the main reason he is staying in Ireland is for Zoffany though.

Last edited:
Noseda's horse Sans Frontieres will surely take a world of beating in the Irish race. Sure to improve again for stepping up and already has the edge on ratings in the race.

After stumbling across that statistic in the St. Leger of horses whose Dams sire is Diesis, I'm very interested to see how Maxim Gorky runs in the second race on Friday over C/D.

I think this is between Joshua Tree and Rewilding, and will either back both (the former each way), the reverse forecast or both. I can't see how Joshua Tree is bigger than Dandino, Arctic Cosmos and even his stable companion, who although beating him conceding 3 pounds, who you would expect him to improve past, especially after how he travelled before blowing up. I've gone on about Rewilding since before the Derby and still believe he should and will most probably win.

I pretty well agree, though I wouldn't discount Midas Touch. I can't have Dandino or Artic Cosmos at all, I thought that the Gordon Stakes was a fairly poor affair. I felt that the Voltigeur was a far superior race and I would take the first three from York to fill the places at Doncaster tomorrow.

I concentrate mainly on the handicaps on the Flat nowdays but looking at this and having backed Dandino a couple of times this year I'm tempted to back again. I acknowledge that Rewilding is a deserved favourite but does noone think Dandino has a chance? No mention on this thread.

Back