The Next President?

Given that so much of the media is right wing from talk radio shock jocks right across the main networks, I should think they're prepared to hold fire. It's no great secret that Republican strategists long ago worked out that they'd prefer to take on Obama

It is a mistake to consider the media to be mostly right wing---NYT,LAT ,Washington Post and Boston Globe are certainly liberal ---I cant speak for the large number of Radio Talk show hosts--Fox News is the only conservative widely watched TV that I am aware of. ? Maybe our esteemed friend Warbler can enlighten us.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Feb 25 2008, 06:32 PM
Desperation time for Clinton.
The Clinton camp say they did not release this photo. Clinton herself was due to address a crowd regarding her foreign policy and they say the Obama team released this on purpose in the hope many would think its dirty tricks from the Clinton group. This is getting dirty, the debate tonight could have fireworks.

The Clinton camp say they did not release this photo.

That's not what they've said. What they have said is that they "didn't sanction it". It's pretty clear that they had it and "leaked" it.

This isn't the first time Clinton staffers have been caught doing something like this; they have already been caught forwarding chain emails that claim Obama is a Muslim.

If anyone can be bothered to work through this link it should detail the right wing bias. Newspapers probably don't have the impact in the States that they do over here, as USA Today is the only mass circulation national daily I seem to think. As documented, the others tend to be pecuiliar to certain cities, which and as a general rule Eric would be right in that there's a liberal slant on the eastern seaboard and parts of California. New York has two papers of course, and very diametrically different they are too, a bit like Le Monde and Figaro. New York also has it's own television news station (rather unimaginatively called New York 1). My experience is that it could have been called The Guiliani Broadcasting Company and no one would have noticed

Television is much more biased than we'd allow under broadcasting standards. The big growth has been in shock jock religious radio.

http://www.webpan.com/dsinclair/myths.html

And just in case anyone's slightly confused with the rogues gallery and the capations, I think you can safely assume they're sarcastic. You also need to remember (sorry if it sounds patronising - but it's worth under lining in case anyone is unsure) that the political colour system is reversed in the States, so when they talk of a swathe of 'reds' they actually mean Republican

Windbag has had a ludicrously positive press so far, for one who cannot cope with a direct unscheduled question

The tide will turn. As the real decision time gets closer and with the growing realisation that the US could be heading for a downbeat period, the voters will surely go for experience over hope (or hopeless as we might find out)

I reckon that if they want to get after him, they should bang on about his affiliation to that black seperatist church.

Not something you would have expected to see Condoleza rice or colin Powell (who would have been a fine candidate) would have got involved with

The Electorate in the USA would not be as educated as here in Ireland or the UK--particularly with regard to the issues being debated.
Perception influences too many voters---Obama's charisma and relaxed attitude on the podium must be driving the Clinton campaign to distraction. She is looking more shrill and unattractive as she nears the gallows---experienced analysts are saying she should quit and retain some dignity so that she can come back from the grave in 2112---see Drudge Report--the outlet that received that photo from a Clinton staffer.

About time our media seized upon this side of windbag....

Good article by the ever excellent Melanie Philips

Wednesday, 27th February 2008

Americans were apparently shocked — shocked! — when Barack Obama failed unequivocally to repudiate the support expressed for his candidacy by the black power, Islamist, racist antisemite Louis Farrakhan. Byron York reports:

The question stemmed from Obama’s initial answer when NBC’s Tim Russert asked, ‘Do you accept the support of Louis Farrakhan?’ Obama might have said, ‘No.’ But instead, he seemed to go out of his way to denounce some of Farrakhan’s statements while not taking on Farrakhan himself (and even using Farrakhan’s preferred honorific in the process). ‘You know, I have been very clear in my denunciation of Minister Farrakhan’s anti-Semitic comments,’ Obama said. ‘I think that they are unacceptable and reprehensible. I did not solicit this support. He expressed pride in an African-American who seems to be bringing the country together. I obviously can’t censor him, but it is not support that I sought. And we’re not doing anything, I assure you, formally or informally, with Minister Farrakhan.’

…After his answer, Russert asked again, just as directly, ‘Do you reject his support?’ Obama might have answered, ‘Yes,’ but instead tried his best to stay away from anything so definitive. ‘Well, Tim, you know, I can’t say to somebody that he can’t say that he thinks I’m a good guy. You know, I — you know, I — I have been very clear in my denunciations of him and his past statements, and I think that indicates to the American people what my stance is on those comments.’

… Russert pressed a bit more, bringing up Reverend Jeremiah Wright, Obama’s long-time pastor, whose magazine last year said that Farrakhan ‘truly epitomized greatness.’.. ‘Tim, I have to say I don’t see a difference between denouncing and rejecting,’ Obama said. ‘If the word “reject” Sen. Clinton feels is stronger than the word “denounce,” then I’m happy to concede the point, and I would reject and denounce.’
Such patent equivocation is of course absolutely telling -- and, if America were not currently in a state of mass-induced hysteria through the cult of Princess Obama, it would be lethal. Anyone who agreed that Farrakhan was totally beyond the pale would have repudiated his endorsement with undiluted horror. Obama conspicuously refused to do so and used weaselly language instead.
But why the shock? As I wrote here, the church to which Obama belongs is a racist, black power church led by a pastor who venerates Farrakhan. If you belong to a church, it is a reasonable assumption that -- guess what! -- you do not find its values objectionable and most probably you actively support them. Duh!

When is the shoe going to drop?

Yes. The same rubbish Ken comes out with before embracing a racist islamic cleric who believes in genocide.

His comments are refered to within the article. Thats not the point thats being made. Actions speak louder than words

Would Cameron accept backing from the BNP ?

Melanie Phillips is a screeching harriden, clivex.

She's as anti-Islamic as the next woman is anti-Semite, and anything that falls out of her mouth should be dismissed with complete and utter contempt.

The same rubbish

Sorry it didn't meet your standards of equivocation, clive; Obama will have to console himself that with the knowledge that it was good enough for the Anti-Defamation League.

Not good enough Grasshopper

Like anyone whos for liberal democracy, she is naturally against Islamists. That should be like breathing for anyone whos against bigotry

Anti semtism is based around race...by the way

http://www.adl.org/special_reports/farrakh...ds2/on_jews.asp

Is windbag so desperate for votes that he cannot seperate himself from a racist religous cult and a viciously anti semitic "leader"?

if not, then i think the republicans will be laughing their heads off. Bring back Rove He will love this.....

Oooh I dunno clive, why don't we ask the Anti-Defamation League's national director.

Oh, hang on, this just in:

"He was very clear," said Abraham Foxman, the ADL's national director, describing the response of the Illinois senator who was asked in a debate Tuesday about the public praise he received over the weekend from the Nation of Islam leader.

"He distanced himself and condemned it and rejected it," Foxman said. "What more do we want? On that issue we should move on."

So?

thats his view ...for whatever reason

I suppose he would also say that the support of hitler for windbags campaign would be fine so long as hitler's anti semitism was condemned

I wonder what windbag's answer would have been if he hadnt known about the question days in advance and didnt have a scripted answer?

....he wouldnt tell you the time of day without six months notice

Originally posted by clivex@Feb 29 2008, 03:36 PM
Not good enough Grasshopper

Like anyone whos for liberal democracy, she is naturally against Islamists. That should be like breathing for anyone whos against bigotry
This support for liberal democracy you claim Philips has? Would this extend to the liberal-democratic tactic of putting words in Barak's mouth?

"When he could have said 'No' he said................"
"When he could have said 'Yes' he said..............."

She spins a typically hysterical editorial out of the question "Do you condemn his support?" and even though he ultimately 'rejects and denounces' Farrakhan's support, she focuses on the apparent 'equivocation' rather than the fact that he has rejected and denounced it.

As I've already said, she is a contemptible, screeching, harriden, and I'm frankly amazed that a man of your intelligence (I'm guessing, obviously :D ), gives her the time of day.

She has less substance than a Quorn cutlet.

Probably making a little too much of it Grass (and i certainly dont agree with all of her views), but there was a distinct wobble from windbag (do vacuum bags wobble?...) and that can be enough to seize upon by his future enemies

I suprised he didnt bin Farrakhan there and then

She should have noticed the very pro Israel speech he made a while ago... That will dismay many over here who have made assumptions about his political leanings

To be honest, clivex, I'm no fan of Barak. He seems as vacuous as the next American politician, and I'm very much of the Hicksian "Puppet on the Left/Puppet on the Right/One Guy Working both Puppets" school of thought, when it comes to US Presidential elections.

I'm really having a pop at Phillips, who continues to masquerade as an 'intellectual' when in fact she is the worst kind of knee-jerk reactionary around.

She is a total charlatan.

Latest polls from Fox News (below) gives Obama a 3 point lead in Texas and Clinton a 8 point lead in Ohio....there is a 4 point margin for error. While the support for Obama has clearly grown the polls suggest it certainly is not overwhelming.

Hillary Clinton has an 8-point lead over Barack Obama heading into Tuesday's Ohio Democratic primary, due largely to the support of white women, seniors and working-class voters, while the race is virtually a tie in Texas, where Obama tops Clinton by a slim 3 points, according to a FOX News Poll released Friday.

In addition, even though many more voters think Clinton is very qualified to be president, large majorities in Ohio and Texas would be happy with either candidate as their nominee.

"An issue Clinton faces in these important contests is voters do not view Obama’s relative lack of qualifications as a deal-breaker. Voters are convinced she is qualified—it’s just not as salient a factor as the desire for change," said Ernest Paicopolos, a principal of Opinion Dynamics Corporation.

The Ohio and Texas telephone polls were conducted for FOX News by Opinion Dynamics Corporation among 600 likely Democratic primary voters in each state from Feb. 26 to Feb. 28. Each poll has an overall 4-point error margin.

The Race in Ohio

As has been the case in earlier primaries, Clinton performs well with voters over age 55, women, union voters, those without a college degree and voters wanting a candidate with experience

Obama’s best support comes from men, college educated voters, higher-income voters, Iraq war voters and those looking for change.

Blacks back Obama by a wide margin; whites are more likely to back Clinton — by a slimmer margin, but still by double-digits. In fact, among white men — an increasingly strong segment for Obama in recent primaries — Clinton wins by a narrow 3-point margin.

Independents can vote in Ohio’s open primary, and they break almost evenly: 42 percent Clinton – 38 percent Obama. The party faithful support Clinton by 48 – 38 percent.

In addition to winning most groups, it’s important to note that, in general, those siding with Clinton represent a larger portion of the electorate than those more likely to favor Obama.

Even though there are just a few days before the election, this race remains volatile. In fact, 14 percent of Ohio Democratic primary voters are undecided, and another 15 percent say they could change their mind.

The strength of support is fairly even, as 83 percent of Clinton voters and 81 percent of Obama voters say they are "certain to support" their candidate.

To be sure, the consensus is both candidates are qualified to be president: Fully 89 percent think Clinton is and 76 percent Obama. Clinton’s real advantage comes from those saying she is "very" qualified – 61 percent – significantly higher than the 36 percent who say the same of Obama.

Despite this difference, most Ohio Democrats would be happy with either candidate as their nominee. Eight of 10 would be satisfied if Clinton wins, including 50 percent "very" satisfied, and 16 percent dissatisfied. For Obama, a smaller majority than for Clinton, but still more than 7 of 10 would be pleased, including 41 percent very satisfied, and 25 percent dissatisfied.

A 51 percent majority of Clinton voters would be satisfied if Obama wins the nomination, and nearly two thirds of Obama supporters – 64 percent – would be satisfied if Clinton wins.

By more than 2-1, the economy (47 percent) tops the list as the most important issue here – far outdistancing health care (22 percent) and the Iraq war (19 percent).

The most important candidate quality voters are looking for is the ability to "bring about needed change" (36 percent), but many want someone who "has the right experience" (28 percent), while others want a candidate who "understands average Americans" (23 percent).

Moreover, among those saying a candidate’s "record of accomplishments" is very important in their decision, they back Clinton by 60 – 37 percent.

The Vote in Texas

In Texas, the key groups helping Obama claim an edge include independents, blacks, younger voters and men. Clinton has a large advantage among Hispanics, white women and seniors—but this is not enough to propel her into the lead at this point.

Click here for Texas results. (pdf)

Not only does Obama capture almost all of the support among black voters, but the poll also finds he essentially ties Clinton among white voters.

An indication this race could swing either way is evidenced by the one of five Obama voters (21 percent) saying they may change their mind, just a bit higher than Clinton voters (17 percent).

Slightly more Clinton supporters (83 percent) than Obama supporters (77 percent) are certain about their vote.

Lone Star Democrats think both candidates are qualified for the job, although here again slightly more think Clinton is "very qualified" (58 percent) than say the same of Obama (44 percent). And they would also be happy with a Clinton or Obama nomination: 47 percent would be "very satisfied" if Clinton wins and 50 percent if Obama does.

Unlike Ohio, where nearly half cite the economy as the top issue, in Texas the economy (32 percent) is closely followed by the issues of the Iraq war (25 percent) and health care (23 percent).

The most important candidate attribute is "change" (36 percent), followed by "experience" (29 percent). Change voters strongly back Obama (74-21 percent), and experience voters are much more likely to support Clinton (86-8 percent).

Making History

There is widespread sentiment this is an historic election, and 76 percent of Ohio Democrats and 79 percent of Texas Democrats say their vote makes them feel like they are participating in a "significant moment in the country’s history."

In Ohio, 65 percent of Obama voters and 55 percent of Clinton voters say they "strongly" feel they are part of history in the making. Similarly, about two-thirds of each candidate’s supporters strongly feel they are making history this year in Texas.

Originally posted by clivex@Feb 29 2008, 10:57 AM
Wednesday, 27th February 2008

Americans were apparently shocked — shocked! — when Barack Obama failed unequivocally to repudiate the support expressed for his candidacy by the black power, Islamist, racist antisemite Louis Farrakhan.
Nonsense. The issue was given about as much notice as it deserved. None.

This is hardly even an article. All she's doing is regurgitating an unimportant moment in what was on the whole a fairly lively debate and trying to twist it to suit herself.. absolute rubbish...

Back