The Next President?

Originally posted by betsmate@Feb 7 2008, 04:49 PM

With McCain in pole position for the Reps, will he look for a conservative running mate to ensure that he has his party behind him and help quash the outbursts such as Coulters above?

I don`t see the point really. The thought of a black guy or the dreaded Clinton woman in the Oval Office must be giving all Republicans such sleepness nights that they`d vote for any candidate even a `left wing` :eek: one.

Except that Coulter said live on TV that she would campaign for Hilary if McCain wins the nomination.

Sure, but extrapolate that sentiment and I think that there will be [admittedly lesser] concerns about McCain in a significant proportion of the Republican party. I can't see how a conservative running mate would fail to help him. I just hope that it is Huckabee.

"I can't see how a conservative running mate would fail to help him. I just hope that it is Huckabee".

In which case, lets pray for McCains good health

Originally posted by Headstrong@Feb 8 2008, 12:56 AM
The Hillary lesbo angle is going to be much more entertaining  :rolleyes:
Even I don't sign up for that one, though I am assured by Oxford University they have a damaging/ embarrasing video of Chelsey. Having been told of it's contents however, I'm not convinced it would prove to be dynamite, and reckon it could even be turned around to Hillary's advantage were it ever to come to life. I was told though that young Ms Clinton was removed from University College shortly afterwards for a bit of corrective training and re-programming before returning :laughing:

I'm half aware that one of the American Ivy league uni's that Hillary attended (Yale?) have something euphamistically called 'posture photographs', and she's long been rumoured to have been subjected to this bizzarre ritual. Again I'm not sure what damage it would do, (as the people who'd be most afronted by them wouldn't vote for her anyway) although they could be used to mock etc. I'm sure if you put 'posture photographs' and 'clinton' into Google you'll get the picture (so to speak). It was supposidly something to do with research, but you hardly need to be a genius to work out their blackmail potential, given that many of the students would go onto occupy influential position in American society.

Hillary went to Wellesley. Think all of the alleged "dirt" that "could destroy the Clinton's" is a load of bollocks myself. There's no way you'll find that "posture picture" on the internet, and it's not like she's the only one to have done it (George W's never came out, at least not to my knowledge)..

A far bigger problem for Hillary is the fact that money is becoming a real problem for her (she just donated $5 million of her own cash to her campaign). I have a feeling she's going to pull back in the Potomac states, where she has little hope anyway, and concentrate on Texas and Ohio. The question of course is can she sustain the momentum coming out of the Potomac primaries.

I'm seriously considering lumping on Barack Obama with a few to laying off after the Virginia/Maryland primaries..

Originally posted by trackside528@Feb 9 2008, 01:11 PM
(George W's never came out, at least not to my knowledge)..

Thank God for that!!!

I'm sure if the picture existed outside of the tight confines of the Universities that made their students do this, it would have been widely circulated by now.

Paris Hilton for President

Precisely, Warbler. The whole "posture picture" thing is really just another facet of the disturbing "skull and bones" underworld of the prestigious Ivy League universities, if you ask me..

Obama looks a good thing in the betting, what is not good thing is him for his country or rest of Occident.

Originally posted by clivex@Feb 13 2008, 11:35 AM
3 more States last night for Obama....he is a good thing now?

No. He was expected to win those
But he won them much easier than expected and the exit polls suggest he has eaten into Hillary’s core voters. I hope your right, I would like to see another Clinton in the white house.

Yes. True Gal. I am beginning to think it could well be driufting away from her. I agree. I have a fair bit of time for Clinton, despite the faults.

and i think she would stand abetter chance against McCain.

I believe that apart from the underlying race issue (which is unfair of course), in a possibly uncertain time for the US, the voters will move towards away from what could be perceived as a risky choice

Is Clinton too big at 5.5?

She made it quite clear that she wouldn't be investing heavily in this latest run of primaries and I expect her to do better in the next few and thus her price to shorten.

That is not to say that Obama hasn't exceeded expectations this week, but this is clearly a fluctuating market.

These Poll results certainly suggest 5.5 might be too big.

From Fox:

New reports of internal disputes in Hillary Clinton’s campaign are surfacing as the once-”inevitable” Democratic presidential candidate tries to revive her flagging campaign with a renewed push into Midwestern states hard-hit by the economic downturn.

Recent polls from Quinnipiac University show the New York senator with double-digit leads over Barack Obama in her firewall states of Ohio and Pennsylvania — but the campaign is showing frays around the edges as Obama builds momentum off a streak of recent wins.

The Wall Street Journal on Thursday reported on an open spat among campaign staffers as they tried to agree on a new advertisement during a meeting at Clinton’s campaign headquarters in Arlington, Va., last week.

“Your ad doesn’t work,” strategist Mark Penn yelled at ad-maker Mandy Grunwald, according to the Journal, which cited campaign operatives. “The execution is all wrong.”

Grunwald shot back: “Oh, it’s always the ad, never the message.” And finally, the Journal reported, political director Guy Cecil got fed up with the clash and left the room, saying, “I’m out of here.”

The reported dispute reflects a campaign struggling within itself as much as it struggles to defeat Obama, who has seized the lead in delegates to the Democratic National Convention. The latest Associated Press tallies show Obama with 1,275 and Clinton with 1,220.

Following weekend losses in four states and the Virgin Islands, Clinton campaign manager Patti Solis Doyle stepped aside. Then amid Tuesday’s trio of losses in the Potomac Primaries, deputy campaign manager Mike Henry tendered his resignation.

On Wednesday, the campaign took another hit when Bill Clinton’s 1992 campaign manager, David Wilhelm, endorsed Obama.

With Solis Doyle gone, longtime Clinton confidante Maggie Williams is taking charge, and Clinton is taking on a more populist message.

Clinton, who trails Obama in polling for Tuesday’s primary in Wisconsin and caucus in Hawaii, is now staking her campaign’s viability on the March 4 primaries in Texas and Ohio, and later Pennsylvania, which votes in April.

Though Rasmussen polls show Obama taking the national lead over Clinton, Quinnipiac University polls taken from Feb. 6-12 show Clinton doing well in her must-win states.

The polls showed her with 55 percent over Obama’s 34 percent in Ohio, and 52 percent over Obama’s 36 percent in Pennsylvania. The margin of error was 4.1 points.

Her campaign has dispatched former President Bill Clinton to spend Thursday in Wisconsin ahead of the state’s primary next week, and the candidate will be carving out time in her schedule to spend time there now, too.

But Thursday, Clinton was continuing her push in Ohio to hammer home an economic message, heading to a General Motors plant — Obama spoke at a Wisconsin GM plant a day earlier — before holding a round-table discussion on the home foreclosure crisis, which has hit Ohio especially hard.

Clinton on Wednesday dismissed the notion of trouble within her campaign, saying: “We have a tremendous amount of energy and focus. In fact, people are coming in, volunteering their time. If you look at what we’ve done on the Internet in the last week, supporters and contributors are really committed.”

And in San Antonio, she shifted her angle of attack, embracing Obama’s call for change while labeling herself as the candidate to bring it most responsibly.

“I am offering not only 35 years of experience making change on behalf of people, but more than that a sense of how we together can solve our problems to make progress,” she said. “Change is going to happen anyway. Change happens whether we like it or not. The question is not whether we will have change. The question is whether we will have progress that makes a difference in people’s

Hillary is on the ropes so expect some low punches--she does not have anything to fall back on at this stage except negative attacks. She is desperate.
The Clintons are used to getting their own way so they wont go quietly but there appears to be a ground swell of enthusiam for Barack while people have had enough of her shrill stump speeches advocating her experience---they have seen through it.
The longer the Clintons carry on dividing Democrats the more likely the Republicans will be to retain power.

eric I think your analysis is dead on here.

The problem for Hilary is that as front runner she had all the Deomocrat 'Establishment' money behind her. This will go now to anyone else who they think is going to challenge McCain for the Presidency.

Right now this is Obama, for the simple reason he is appealing to the 'undecided' ie unregistered voters, in far greater numbers than Hillary is - or ever can. The Presidential election can't be won without carrying these voters. The money will go with the votes.

Originally posted by Headstrong@Feb 17 2008, 02:03 AM
The Presidential election can't be won without carrying these voters. The money will go with the votes.
It could also be said you cannot win a Presidential election if you cannot carry big states like California, New York etc.

Obama has won the states that are virtually guaranteed to go to the Republicans in the actual election. He has the "buzz" right now but I think this is much closer than the media are portraying it to be.

I think the most crucial turning point is just occuring right now. The media have convinced people so much that Obama has won that now the Republicans are directing all their attacks at Obama and ignoring Clinton. When Clinton was agressive against Obama (though at the same time bringing up valid questions and queries) it backlashed against her. Now she has someone else to do it and this time plenty might well listen to it.

The last polls I saw she held a slender lead in Wisconsin, which if she were able to tee up Texas and Ohio would be enough. It's starting to look as if its going to go to the convention (shades of 1960) the paralells with JFK are quite striking.

Back