The Oaks (and beyond)

Very similar ratings and Group 1 wins (Nassau, Yorkshire Oaks, Filly & Mare) to Islington, who was 5th (beaten 2 lengths) in an Arc.

That is a very, very flimsy comparison!

If she is up to racing against colts, why isn't she?

You know my opinion on races in Dubai...as for the Dar Re Mi/Sariska formline - again not a race I take that seriously judging on where Roman Empress and Barshiba finished up behind the top two.

I think Dar Re Mi is a good honest and tough mare but I prefer Sariska and Midday to her.

If she is up to racing against colts, why isn't she?

Because the owner has loads of top class colts this year. Like I said I would like to see her take them on but they seem keen to keep her to the fillies and mares races.

Midday is very good , I think she would have won with Sariska running

About the Arc
without Harbinger the race is very open and I would run her there, the same with Rewilding.

Using abberations to debate my point is a bizarre way of trying to make a point..

Acropolis is not the only top-5 finisher in recent years who brings in to doubt the exalted stature of 5th-in-the-Arc that you're putting forth.

Over the last 10 years, the RP have awarded an average rating of 122 for 5th place in the Arc. That's with the fillies' allowance added back on where necessary, i.e. on average a male would have to hit 122 to come 5th.

A filly with her 3lb allowance would therefore only have to hit 119 on the RP's scale. Midday has already run to at least that mark 5 times before today.

(I'd love to repeat the exercise for Official Ratings and Timeform ratings, but sadly the former information is not readily available and the latter costs 50p just to look up one horse!)

A cheapskate, but not lazy:

The average end-of-season International Classification / World Thoroughbred Ranking rating for the 5th place horse in the Arc over the last 10 years is also 122 (adjusted for sex allowance). This will correspond to at least the rating the horses achieved in the Arc itself, but in some cases may be greater if they performed better in another race during the year (Milan, for example).

Again, with a 3lb allowance, a filly would have to run to 119 to match that. Midday was rated 120 in last year's World Thoroughbred Rankings, which was also her OR this morning (the two are on the same scale, and the WTR ratings are based on ORs).

Is there one? I thought his regular girl was a tall, slim brunette? Well, that's who was on his arm at Lingfield last year, but maybe there's been a change all round?

Meanwhile - Sariska. Has she soured of the stable? Michael Bell has tried to make an excuse for the little diva by saying the start is near to the stables, but the call of the haynet didn't put the others off popping the lids neatly. Much was made of her belting him, too, a couple of weeks ago, so perhaps she's really had enough of him. Curious behaviour - one expects it in grizzled old handicappers who've wised up to the occasional doss in the box, but at this level? Is she likely to be unreliable from now on?

Is there one?

No, basically.

Getting back to Sariska, very very strange and I'm livid as I had a decent bet with Ladbrokes so I'm never getting refunded. For what it's worth, I don't think bookmakers should refund in these instances but well done to those who got on with firms who are refunding!

Yes, very bad news for all who supported her and sorry for you, Gamla, especially with some five firms paying back the bets. It's a shame that it's a bit of a lottery as to who will honour no-shows like her, and who won't. I hope you can claw some (or better still, all) of it back tomorrow.

Sariska is a filly, they're all inclined to be temperamental and unpredictable, especially good ones! I wouldn't read a lot more into it than that at this stage to be honest. Funnily enough someone commented to me today that he's sure it has happened before at York involving fillies starting down the back straight, supposedly due to the stables being there.

Snow Fairy wins a grade one in Japan, netting just the £1.35m.

What an admirable filly she has been and well done to connections for looking beyond the usual end of season targets and bagging the cash.

Ed Dunlop very sucessful once again with shipping his horses anywhere in the world. Excellent training performance.

Back