The Oaks (and beyond)

Should have a rematch of the main Oaks protagonists on Sunday - with the first two from the Ribblesdale due to be supplemented as well.

Akdarena
Awe Inspiring
Brazilian Beauty
Crystal Gal
Dance On By
Desert Sage
Eldalil
Famous
Hibaayeb
Ice Empress
Kings Vintage
Lady Lupus
Meeznah
Miss Jean Brodie
Remember When
Rosanara
Snow Fairy

Final declarations - Ground is Good on the round, Good To Yielding on the striaght but I suspect it will ride softer by Sunday.

[FONT=r_ansi][FONT=r_ansi]Akdarena [/FONT][FONT=r_ansi]
Awe Inspiring
Brazilian Beauty
Crystal Gal
Dance On By
Desert Sage
Eldalil
Hibaayeb
Ice Empress
King's Vintage
Lady Lupus
Meeznah (USA)
Miss Jean Brodie
Remember When
Rosanara (FR)
Snow Fairy
[/FONT][/FONT]

I like the form of the Prix De Diane and the Ribblesdale Stakes and I think its stronger then the Oaks form and because of the likely going I fancy on breeding the French horse Rosanara could be taking the prize back to France.

If I'm right about the Ribblesdale form then Gallic Star should run well in the 2:30 at Newmarket today and have to admit to helping myself to some of the 5.0 on offer on betfair - whether this is wise or not as she's taking on her elders,time will tell.

Rosanara is NR

I like Remember When back on an easier surface but worry it might test her stamina too much over the trip.

I like Eldalil - only her 3rd run ever to finish 2nd in the Ribblesdale, I feel she is still open to improvement. I know she has 3 lengths to find with the winner but it was her first time over such a trip (had earlier won over 7f) so she could turn the tables.

Think a few of these could disappoint on this ground where as some fillies that are big outsiders are likely to be capable of better now that they are racing on the softer ground. Hard to pin them down though!

I thought she came to win her race both days but failed to finish the job for whatever reason.

I remembered your post after the Pretty Polly where I thought Remember When was pretty mullish - but I gave her the benefit of the doubt and put it down to the fast ground. Did not go a yard again today - I think temperment has got the better of her.

Sariska vs Snow Fairy likely for York?

Yorkshire Oaks -

Barshiba (IRE) 6.m
Eleanora Duse (IRE) 3.f
Flying Cloud (IRE) 4.f
Hibaayeb 3.f
High Heeled (IRE) 4.f
Meeznah (USA) 3.f
Midday 4.f
Profound Beauty (IRE) 6.m
Sariska 4.f
Snow Fairy (IRE) 3.f

Fascinating race tomorrow for the Yorkshire version and you really could fancy all three of the market leaders. If pushed I'd pick Midday.

Can't see how Sariska is the price she is, her form is way above the others here.

The three year old fillies have looked a moderate bunch and I don't understand why you'd back Snow Fairy at 3s when you can back Meeznah EW at 16s as you can put a line through her run LTO completely.

I'd have Sariska as an 11/8 shot myself. I'm not usually the one to side with a 9/4 shot but I might be making an exception tomorrow.

Fantastic race in prospect. Snow Fairy took the breath away at the Curragh but rather like Sariska in the same race last year you'd worry about what she beat. Touch worried about Midday stepping back up to 12f for the first time since last summer, and maybe she still has something to prove over the trip in this company. Whichever one is biggest out of Snow Fairy and Sariska is the bet for me.

Can't see how Sariska is the price she is, her form is way above the others here.

The three year old fillies have looked a moderate bunch and I don't understand why you'd back Snow Fairy at 3s when you can back Meeznah EW at 16s as you can put a line through her run LTO completely.

I'd have Sariska as an 11/8 shot myself. I'm not usually the one to side with a 9/4 shot but I might be making an exception tomorrow.

on Good ground Sariska is about 4th best - on fast ground - 2nd best

just on bare OHR's you would be taking very bad value about Sariska at 11/8..she is 3rd on OHR's behind Midday and Snow Fairy..11/8?..surely just mathematically if all 3 are same horse you would want 2/1 minimum..as it is she 3rd best and there's a couple of others that hold middling chances..so 9/4-5/2 would be a baseline fair price surely?

not sure where you are seeing this apparent superiority to be honest..particulary when its more than likely ground will be faster than good

Meeznah has won one race from 5 starts ...a very poor maiden...and has nearly 10 lengths to find on last run with SF..form is going the wrong way for me

I hope they hammer Sariska & Midday which should push SF out nicely to about 4/1 if everyone is as confident as you are re Sariska

I backed meeznah for the oaks and thought she was unlucky at the time but after the Irish version I changed my mind and think snow fairy is miles ahead of the othe 3yo's. Given her allowance I think she'll have the beating of the older fillies but not by much.

Last edited:
Back