The Oaks & Irish Oaks

4s is huge for the Oxx filly. I still don't think the Oaks was a great renewal and she represents great value now the ground is in her favour.

4s is huge for the Oxx filly. I still don't think the Oaks was a great renewal and she represents great value now the ground is in her favour.

I doubt very much if the Epsom Oaks ran on different ground completely at a totally different track is going to have any bearing on this afternoons race, whether the epsom form is good or bad tbh.

I think Sariska can be expected to improve on the slower surface..half sister to a mud lover and sired by Pivotal...she should take this comfy I reckon as she is already the best filly in the field without any improvement

Oaks form looks ok i reckon

Aside from the winner, nothing has done a jot, everything that's ran has been comfortably held since. A poor renewal in my eyes and I'd want to see Sariska beat more than Roses For The Lady (no matter how comfortably) before taking single figures for the Arc which is frankly, an offensive price.

SARISKA by far and away best. Excuses, excuses, excuses for everything else, of course: hated the ground, hated the draw, resented the mud, Moon in trine to Venus, yadda-yadda. She never even got into a full gallop and a really good horse handles any sort of ground. ROSES FOR THE LADY was very gallant and gutsy - whether she liked the ground, her front position, or hates her cheesy name - no matter, she did a fine job and she still grabbed 2nd place from all those other nitty-picky nags. Fabulous job, SARISKA, and a fine, fine ride from Jamie Spencer.

and those that took the 14's probably needed it when they count back the non runners through the years where they lost their money without a run

ante post is mug betting of a high order..when you count up over the years

quoting one instance like that has zero relevance..imo

Last edited:
I'm sure some people who backed it at 14s (not me) have managed to get out and have a nice free bet if they're shrewd enough to trade it off.

Not a big fan of antepost betting but it has it's merits on occasions.

its alright for a bit of fun..grabbing a big price etc..but the many things that can change before a race and on race day make it a total no no for me.

i used to do it years ago

Wouldn't be quick to crab the Epsom form just yet; Midday actually ran a credible race to close on the leaders in the straight before appearing to fail to get home having raced a shade freely on ground that was always unlikely to suit.

Absolutely no depth to today's race really with Beauty O'Gwaun failing to run her race. Given that they looked to go a decent enough clip from the outset, Roses For The Lady deserves a good deal of credit for keeping on to hold second.

Back