The Oaks & Irish Oaks

If we lived in France, she'd be placed last. Perfect Truth was never going a yard but the hammering she took didn't help.

Perfect Truth broke slowly...I wonder did she hurt herself leaving the stalls.

Spencer will keep the race but he should get a severe ban for that. Sariska did the main bit of interference early in the straight when she was still on the bridle so its not as if Spencer has no control.

Fantastic time and what a lovely horse Sariska really is it was a cracking finish and bbc's coverage was top draw.

I am so pleased with Midday from my book who gave everything!

Sariska top class. Only fourth run too.

She and Look here would be something to look forward to.

Well done DJ.

Haven't seen it, but sounds from the coments on here as though it would have been better run in France where they do dq runners.

According to the SL site, 5 horses were hampered.
Unsatisfactory, then.

I'd find it hard to believe that Sariska and Midday weren't the two best horses, regardless of what went on.

Serves Murtagh right to be on the receving end of one after his Coronation Cup antics, though Perfect Truth was struggling long before hand. Not a clever day for Ballydoyle and I thought I noted O'Brien's RTF at 37 earlier. Is there something not quite right in the yard at present? Frozen Fire was well beaten even before Murtagh tried to turn it into a stock car race, and Perfect Truth was being stoked along after about 9F's

Serves Murtagh right to be on the receving end of one after his Coronation Cup antics, though Perfect Truth was struggling long before hand. Not a clever day for Ballydoyle and I thought I noted O'Brien's RTF at 37 earlier. Is there something not quite right in the yard at present? Frozen Fire was well beaten even before Murtagh tried to turn it into a stock car race, and Perfect Truth was being stoked along after about 9F's

Murtagh got his ban and deserved it....to suggest it "serves Murtagh right" to nearly have his horse put through the railing in return is talking through your pocket and a bit petty Warbler particularly when the horse he caused the interference on is a quirky sort who had his head held high and was not helping the jockey one bit.

As for the horses form, I thought Frozen Fire actually ran a decent enough race for tactics that do not suit and on a track that is not ideal. He might pick up a Group 1 in France or Germany later in the year. Perfect Truth was disappointing but only mildly for me. The stable has had 4 winners from its last ten runners in Ireland and numerous placed horses.

I don't think there is anything wrong with his horses at the moment, his runners here in Ireland have generally performed well this week.

Frozen Fire is inconsistent, very good at times, eg. Irish Derby & Dante but at other times very average and can appear quite a difficult partner.

Perfect Truth probably isn't good enough in this level of company.

I loved the way Sariska moved with such speed to the front, also with the way she stuck it out infront, the first of the main contenders to really make her move. Midday was my pick, but it was nice to see Bells fillies heart to really out stay anything in that race. Spencers rides are controversial but he is one of the most talented jocks around, he showed his power in the saddle today.

Last edited:
Missed the race as was working but thrilled for the Bell yard and also for High Heeled running a good race in third

Murtagh got his ban and deserved it....to suggest it "serves Murtagh right" to nearly have his horse put through the railing in return is talking through your pocket

Damn right it is.

Difficult to say from about 3F's out but I actually think he'd have won. His initial burst was impressive compared to Frozen Fire at least, but the over-head seeemd to show that they all went at the same time, with Buccellati having about a 3L head start on them. All of them appeared to be swallowing Frozen Solid up at the same speed and Buccellati had gone witht he same burst as where the winners came from.

My first reaction was that Buick might have chickened out - until the head-on was shown and pretty well put paid to that idea. In the end he did well to save himself and the horse from what could have been a very horrible accident.

My own figures had him finishing about a length of Duncan, which would have meant there'd have been a fourth horse in the photo. Still t'was not to be

Watching it again and Sariska could be another Peeping Fawn in the making....built like a tank and once she builds into a full head of stream she's a bit of a tank.

I loved the way Sariska moved with such speed to the front, also with the way she stuck it out infront, the first of the main contenders to really make her move. Midday was my pick, but it was nice to see Bells fillies heart to really out stay anything in that race. Spencers rides are controversial but he is one of the most talented jocks around, he showed his power in the saddle today.

Agree with that - on his day Spencer is immense, he seems to struggle midweek though and it was great to see Sariska win :)

Welcome to the forum K (it's about time you posted ;) ).

Martin

To blame Murtagh for the incident on the Coronation Cup and not mention Buick is laughable. Whether the gap was there or not is immaterial, he was going up the inside at a track where the majority of horses hang into the rail because of the camber, and chose to do it against a horse that couldn't keep straight at somewhere like York and Doncaster never mind Epsom. A clear sign of Buick's inexperience for me.

The winner is decent and built to improve substantially with time and distance; the runner up a real terrier and a credit to her trainer. The third deserves some degree of credit but the rest are a very moderate bunch indeed, including Rainbow View, who must be judged now on her three year old form rather than last year's misleading domination of modest and/or immature rivals.

About three times a year then?

Good performance but any jockey would have won on her today.

I think today's ride showed just what a liability Spencer is when the pressure is on. For him to allow her to make such a move across the Stoute filly when she was full of running and under control shows just how little he has come on since his Ballydoyle days.

Back