The Paddy Power Gold Cup2009 (Entries)

EOG on Tranquil Sea

"I would hope he will make a Ryanair horse and that is where I will aim him. We can always step up or down after that but I don't think he is a Champion Chase horse - and don't think he is good enough for that either."

If I'd backed Don't Push It in the staying h'cap chase I wouldn't be too happy with Mccoy. Looks to me like he got a winner beat there - over confident.

I actually thought McCOy gave him an excellent ride but if you watch the horse, he hung into the left after the last which IMO cost him the half length he was beaten by.

Also if you watch the RUK re-run from behind, Chapaturgeon only slipped on landing rather than fell when going extremely well. I know it was a long way out but I would keep on the right side of this horse.

I too thought McCoy gave Don't Push It an excellent ride. I've followed him and he's done me a couple of good turns in the past, but he can be a real mule of a horse, McCoy looked like he got everything you could hope for out of him today.

Sad to hear that about Three Mirrors he didn't look fatally injured from the stands when he pulled up .

I thought AP gave DPI a quite brilliant ride - the winner just found more from the last in that mud and DPI made two or three mistakes that cost him the race

Lie Forrit is a horse to note won despite all Campbell Gillies numerous attempts to fuck it up . Like the winner of the first too.

Tranquil Sea could be named the winner a mile out , Poquelin ran through beaten horses. Our Vic ran a stormer .

Watching the race again it looks like Poquelin took Ruby by surprise . He was well behind and coasts down the hill yet Ruby does nothing to urge him closer and then suddenly approaching the second last ( after having to avoid Tatenen at the 3rd last ) Poquelin takes off . Perhaps if Ruby had got after him earlier things might have been different ? I doubt it though the winner looked to have loads in hand.

I would say Tranquil Sea had more than plenty in hand at the end. If Ruby had managed to get into a challenging position today then I'm sure the winner would have pulled out more.

Potentially a Ryanair horse but he may be a soft ground performer? Obviously unlikely to get than at the festival.

Last edited:
Back