The Paddy Power Gold Cup2009 (Entries)

The race these days tends to be as much about untapped potential as good form. I wonder if the handicapper has latched on to how the smart the Jewson form is proving to be. I think I'm right in saying Chapoturgeon went up at least 18lbs for winning it. I don't think previous winner s were hit that hard and Imperial Commander missed the festival and came into the race totally unexposed, proving a long long way ahead of its OR.

One I'll definitely be having some sickness insurance on is Three Mirrors but I'd be grateful for any info on why Lee isn't up on the yard's only rep yet he's at the meeting.

Ballyfitz has been punted into favouritism with many of the bookmakers, I don't see his current odds as reflective of his winning chance.

According to Pete is my main fancy for the race although I wouldn't be surprised to see Knowhere getting placed and will be having an interest in the Phillip Hobbs runner From Dawn to Dusk, good race.

After mucho form deliberation and a little bit of video studying (and taking into account DO's point about untapped potential as well) I think i'm gonna have a sneaky each way on Tartak - I think i'll take the 16s with PP given the concession rather than the 18s available generally. He ran really well in the Arkle considering he was squeezed out at a time when he was travelling nicely. The trip was on the short side as well that day. I think we're getting a nice price because of his poor run at Aintree but i'm always willing to forgive the odd off day.

According to Pete is one I decided to follow last year to the point of backing him AP to win at the Festival. Love his front running style. Have loaded up at v.good prices but one of the reasons I'm not there, apart from the weather, is that I may lay off a chunk at the bottom of the hill when he's 4 lengths clear. Just a little concern but really I can see him being one of the surprise horses this year.

Hope the wind eases, I stay at Stroud during the week and more than enough rain fell today.

If I could forgive Tartak his last performance, i'd back him but im not sure I can

I'll be having a bet on Tatenen to win and Tarotino e/w although slight concern with conditions

OK, I've had another look at the race and find myself going round in circles so I'm taking a thinking-out-of-the-box approach this time.

When I'm looking at big handicaps I always try to keep in mind what kind of performance it takes to win it. I look for types that have already hit the required level in terms of previously posting figures that meet the relative achievements of previous winners and others with the potential to get there.

Into the latter category come Our Vic on his form the season before last and Three Mirrors and Il Duce on their form last year. Il Duce has changed yards, suggesting it's no longer considered up to the job so he's out. Our Vic is an old favourite but he's likely to be vulnerable to a few from the first group and certainly not getting any younger or better, so he's scrubbed. I backed Three Mirrors in this race last year. I suspected at the time they rode him all wrong. He was held up far too far back and never got into it. The problem is, they kept riding him that way. He's 9lbs lower in the ratings now than a year ago and bigger in the betting. It wouldn't be unusual for some horses to have a quiet year before returning to form. Considering the yard targets winners at the course and landed a gamble with L'Antartique a couple of years ago, I'm fascinated that they're staying loyal with this horse to represent them. Although he's now nine, he could be quite unexposed.

The handicappers seem to be getting a grip on the top novices much earlier in their careers these days. Maybe changes in training routines are getting horses sharper earlier but in recent years there seems to me to have been far more 150+ novices from mid-October on. I remember wondering if the handicapper had lost it when he rated Bradbury Star something like 155 before Christmas in his novice year. In theory, if the handicapper has a hold of them, they're less likely to show the vast second-sseason improvement we got used to for many years. Last year was a good example. Imperial Commander didn't get involved in the big races and got into this very lightly to foil the Jewson runner-up Barber's Shop. The previous year L'Antartique wasn't hit too hard for the Jewson and took this race. The year before, Exotic Dancer no less got in off just 139.

I just have to think anything rated close to 150 or more could well be vulnerable to someting less exposed so I can't entertain them as a betting medium. This takes out the field from Ballyfitz up.

Of the others, I see I'm So Lucky lurking off 139. This horse was giving weight to Planet Of Sound this time last season before losing its form. If the latter was in here off 139 it wouldn't be 33/1 or more; under 10s more like. Factor in that I'm So Lucky represents a yard with an incredible record in the race and he's my idea of a proper value punt.

Hope Accoring To Pete Can win for owner and breeder Peter Nelson. Peter is a customer where I work and it would be great for him to have a big winner at Cheltenham. He came close in November 2006 when Mith Hill mugged him near the line over hurdles.

No great inside information I'm afraid though we ring him every time he runs we get the AOB treatment...."he is very well, we are pleased with him, very hopeful" etc. except he does'nt have "so much speed it's unbelievable" !!!

Full credit to PP for their extremely generous concession on this race. I almost feel like I have to get involved now. Tough race to weigh up though.

Having already had quite a decent punt on Tatenen I've gone in for Ballyfitz with PP, with the money back proviso if a Nicholls horse wins. If Ballyfitz wins I've covered my stake and more on Tatenen. If Tatenen (or one of the other two) wins I've had a free bet on Ballyfitz... all that needs to happen now is for one of them to win!.. Like falling off a log eh?

Looks a hugely competitive renewal indeed. Wouldn't necessarily agree that it's a vintage one in terms of quality; very hard to see an obvious handicap blot or a horse capable of going on and scaling the heights of last year's winner.

I've backed Hold 'Em E/W for an interest; seems to be bang in form (despite not seeing out the three miles at Ascot last time out). I have a feeling this horse wants a strongly-run 2m4f to be seen to best effect. Ground something of an unknown (like so many of the others), but he'll do for me.

Tranquil Sea is a back to lay IR angle.

Looks a hugely competitive renewal indeed. Wouldn't necessarily agree that it's a vintage one in terms of quality; very hard to see an obvious handicap blot or a horse capable of going on and scaling the heights of last year's winner.

I've backed Hold 'Em E/W for an interest; seems to be bang in form (despite not seeing out the three miles at Ascot last time out). I have a feeling this horse wants a strongly-run 2m4f to be seen to best effect. Ground something of an unknown (like so many of the others), but he'll do for me.

Tranquil Sea is a back to lay IR angle.

It does look competitive, but something will no doubt come and win it well. There are a few unexposed sorts who could be much better than they appear. However, on the basis that Tatenen will relish the going, step up in trip and looks well placed in the weights, he still must be a bet in this - particularly so as Nicholls is playing up the other two against him (when both will be stretched after going up in the weights).

If I'd backed Don't Push It in the staying h'cap chase I wouldn't be too happy with Mccoy. Looks to me like he got a winner beat there - over confident.

Poquelin finished like a train, having been 1000 in running for quite a while. Just for a second I thought he was going to get there.

Not sure it proved to be anywhere near as hot a race as some previous years with Hold 'Em and Our Vic not obviously well handicapped. I wonder of the Nicholls yard regret winning last month with Poquelin. That 11lb hike strikes me as having cost him the race.

Agree it was not a great renewal.

The winner looked very impressive to me. The runner-up ran a great race despite his hike in the weights and Ballyfitz franked the form. So I'd say it was half decent.

Tatenen jumped like a pig today... I hope they can get him back to something like himself.

Back