The Pointing Thread

Assuming the meeting goes ahead I'll be taking Pacha Du Polder against him - wouldn't want anything to do with Calgary Bay, only positive I can see really is Harry Bannister up.

Teaforthree did that really well - assuming they can get him qualified he'd be the best of the British hopes and assuming Codd is in the saddle for the Festival I'd expect him to be ridden with much more restraint. Thought that the lack of a number of the outsiders played in to his hands with racing handily but he did it well against a couple of useful horses.

PDP could still be a 140 horse as with Sustainability third and an improving horse back in 4th you never know. Would expect to see him in Sandown's military races with Jody Sole up in a few weeks time.

Sustainability ran a blinder for her trainer Beth Eckley - Beth works for Venetia Williams and from what she's said on Twitter the partnership is very appropriately named, she did a good job and James Nixon rode well.

As for Siro Demur he'll probably improve for that and is definitely a horse to beat in the 2-2 1/2m Hunter Chases again this season (though Utopian remains the king).

Sadly I was told last night that Act Of Kalanisi had to be PTS after pulling up in the race - condolences to Zara Phillips and Richard Hewitt on their loss :(

I've taken the 12/1 Salsify for the Foxhunters' following the news Oscar Barton is out of the race - should go well tomorrow in the Raymond Smith.

Martin

Consigliere won a decent Mens Open by a distance under Joe Hill at Godstone today - Hunter's Lodge was second and Anseanchai Cliste (won a Tipperary HC last season) was third. Only one horse really in it with a lap to go and he goes to Cheltenham next.

Would have doubts about him staying the 3m2f and thought he looked more of an Aintree type today but he's qualified for Cheltenham now so fingers crossed for the Hills'.

Oscars Well features among this weekends entries - he's now in the care of Richard Bandey.

I'll be at Thorpe Lodge (between Nottingham and Newark) on Sunday if anyone in the area fancies a day out pointing.

Martin

Hi Martin, do you have any views on Woodview Prince tomorrow at Leicester, my mate is sweet on him?

Thought it was very good a couple of years ago - put it up on here for the Intermediate Final at Cheltenham but had very few runs since.

Two runs this year have been decent but Following Dreams will be a tough nut to crack and Mr M comes from a top yard. Would make Woodview Prince 2/1 fav myself so 9/4 or bigger I'd be happy to take.

Delta Borget should prove best of the others (W/O FD, MM and WP).

Martin

The fav will take a lot of beating Benny and travelling a long way from Wales. Personally thought that Some Target ran a nice race on his British debut when finishing third behind The Falklander and Cottage Oak - both top pointers, particularly the former who is unbeaten in p2p's when completing. He probably lacks the gears that he had in his youth but I can see him going well here (currently 50/1).

Martin

Front three are all fairly evenly matched IMHO Benny - would just be favouring Mister Teddy over the other two and don't think En Suite should be as big as she is either (sorry that's half the field).

Martin

Having opposed teaforthree the other day I'm not making the same mistake again. Paddy power have got this on power play plus, 2/1. Have taken their max and might top up elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Think Aiteen Thirtythree should be odds-on today - slight doubt about the ground and the jockey but he's better than SDB who's not certain to repeat his solid Larkhill run LTO and Bally Wall who won at Cottenham in November.

Would like to see Shannon Smacker run well for Josh Pearce who's head lad to Dan O'Brien down in Sussex, SS will love the ground though has a stone+ to find with the principles (SS finished third at Godstone last weekend on his British debut).

Martin

Think you are right about 1833. He had a trapped epiglottis which curtailed his NH career and was given away to the box driver. A wind op later and he's been a different horse.

Excellent work Martin. Thanks.

11/8 in hindsight was a great price but I thought he'd ruined his chances by running too keenly.

Damian Murphy of Whyso Mayo fame had his first p2p winner yesterday as trainer/jockey when Just Georgia won at Knockanard yesterday for owner Joe " Frog" o Sullivan. A full brother to The Govaness , he will probably be sold.
Congratulations to Derek O connor for riding his 1000th p2p winner Yesterday also.

Great stuff from Doc - doubt he'll be reaching the 120's as he has in the past but he's some machine in the saddle.

Paddy Power are 10/1 Parkam Jack tomorrow - beat a very useful pointer in Certain Flight last time out and should be sub-5/1 here with John Mathias up.

Martin

Taunton Hunter Chase - suspicion the Nicholls horse might be priced on the trainer and Double Bank is the value. What are your thoughts Martin?

Looks a no bet type of race now that Parkam Jack is out - there wouldn't be much between Double Bank/Parkam Jack and Alleford Jack at their best so couldn't back DB at sub 5/2 when Allerford is 28 on the machine (would like to see £££ for him before backing though).

Martin

Good call on Double Bank Benny!

Tomorrow I like Qrackers @ 14/1 (Paddy Power) - Won this in 2014 by in excess of 30 lengths, this is a much better renewal but he comes out favourably on the ratings and his Taunton run can be overlooked as he hated the ground. Better ground here and should go well for a local yard. Just got to hope the 8 runners stay for the place terms.

Martin

Back