The Pointing Thread

Great to see my old friend Vincitore run his usual gallant race at Newbury under a great ride from Claire, belying his odds of 40-1. Gave us some great days a few years ago.

BTW, I would like to see horses which run under the names of professional trainers debarred from running in Hunter Chases.

There are plenty who don't want them running in Hunter Chases Michael - think it's something worth looking at though with poor turnouts for some races the argument would be that there's little demand without them.

Hope you backed Vincetore - Claire's a good jockey and a good trainer too.

Martin

Hope you backed Vincetore - Claire's a good jockey and a good trainer too.

Unfortunately didn't back it....forgot that he was running until I watched a recording of the race. Claire does a super job: we send our horses to her for their summer breaks and pre-training.

She's a good trainer, good jockey too and regularly in the Top 5 lady riders in British pointing etc. pretty new to training but Kazuri Kate is doing well for her too and the ride on Palypso De Creek is helping also.

Martin

First race - tricky one as Ghizao is still the best horse in there but Miss Newton has a very bad habit of falling off him so can't back him on that basis alone. I'd side with Roseyroo in this after a solid odds-on success last time out.

2m4f Maiden - Jack Barber's is looking a bit expensive to follow at the min and would be with Ed Walker's Kernel Victor, he's an unraced 7yo but cost 57k as a 3yo and could go well here.

Ladies Open - Before The War's form looks solid enough to take this.

Mens Open - Foynes Island for me here from a small yard (also in the opener) but looks classy enough to handle these.

Restricted - Ballinla's always had his share of ability and should come on for his return the other week and will hopefully give Charlie Dando a winner here.

Open Maiden - Weird as with no allowances Stow Hill has been given a mark of 84 in some quarters for finishing behind Earthpower (76 rating and entered in previous race). If Earthpower wins this will probably go off short enough so for that reason I'd recommend I'm All Set.

Martin

Hope you did ok there today Benny

1st race - Roseyroo 2nd @ 1/2
2nd race - Kernel Victor 2nd @ 6/1
3rd race - Unsure if Before The War ran (was unplaced if it did)
4th race - Foynes Island Won @ 7/4
5th race - No idea if Ballinla ran (unplaced if so)
6th race - Im All Set Won @ Evs.

Martin

Good day thanks Martin. Backed Roseyroo at 4/5, beaten a neck. Backed KV each way at 12/1 and 4/1 without the fav. Had FI at 2/1 and IAS at evens. Neither of your others ran.

Thanks again mate, much appreciated.

12's is big about Kernel Victor given the purchase price - glad you had a good day.

I'll be at Godstone next Sunday - possibly with Did You Ever in the Restricted, should be a price and if we can get some g/f in the ground then he'll be in the frame.

Martin

Thanks Edgt - I tried to buy Sam Cavallaro for a friend but Heidi beat me to it.

Glad he went to her though as I know her well and she's a very good trainer, daughter of Grand National winning trainer Steve Brookshaw. Sam Cavallaro ran for a racing club in points and I think he's definitely capable of winning a decent Hunter Chase. A good ride from Mr Noonan on him too - very patient which is how he needs to be ridden and the drop in trip certainly helped. It's a shame he didn't get a mark in Ireland as would be very interesting in a 0-110 Handicap Chase if Heidi sent him under rules.

Martin

Bred by Edmond Vaughan of Clongeel Stud near me.
His father Denis is one of the best authorities on breeding and pedigrees and one of the nicest men you could hope to meet.
His uncle Connie was a legendary amateur jockey in the 1950s and 60s sadly lost to cancer in the mid 80s.

Cheers Eddie - nice to get some background on him.

We've Did You Ever in at Godstone on Sunday but looks like we've bumped into the hottest Restricted run in the area this season with Minerfortyniner, Lule Kyle (placed in an Irish Open), De Clare Man and Simonsig's brother Simonsruudt all entered so looks like we'll end up waiting for the firm ground at Charing on Easter Saturday.

If anyone heads there this Sunday I expect Boy Of Boru to bounce back from his disappointing run at the track last time out to take the Maiden. He'd be of particular interest if Phil Hall gets off Slidecheck to ride him.

Martin

From a Hunter Chase service I subscribe too;

So after a few days off we are back in hunter chase action in Wales this afternoon and hopefully we can continue where we left off last week.Canshetrain was a fair 2nd last time out, but ran a stinker the time before and the 3rd on seasonal debut wasn't in a great contest. Has a good jockey though and this race isn't exactly strong.
Loch Ard would be a cert here if getting anywhere near his hurdling form in Ireland for Willie Mullins. The problem is he ran really badly in both pointing starts last season. The jockey change might help a little bit, but he is impossible to back on those pointing efforts.
Patricktom Boru made a winning seasonal debut earlier this month, but it wasn't much of a contest especially given the odds on favourite ran poorly. To be fair in this field he holds solid claims and has proven himself to be useful in the pointing field and did beat Mr Mercurial last season. He ran all right in a Leicester hunter chase last season and the drop in trip might help him especially based on his Chepstow run where he got tired. The main problem though is the ground and I feel conditions might be too testing for him, especially given how bad Ffos Las can be.
The Old Pretender is clearly hard to train and although he is an open winner the races weren't overly strong and he has a squiggle next to his name as well. He also wasn't at his best when last seen over 2 years ago. It would be some training performance for him to win this.
I really can't believe the price of Sweet Like You. Granted she won her maiden well 11 days ago, but that was only a maiden victory and she has loads to find on form. This isn't a strong heat, but even so backing maiden winners against Open winners is not something I would suggest. Her rating isn't even that high.
The one I haven't mentioned out of those with some sort of chance is the favourite Catspan and this looks this ideal race to land his first hunter chase win. Having seen him pull up at Didmarton last March his close 2nd at Chepstow really surprised me. He didn't really follow that up at Stratford, albeit in a hot race, but given that was his last run of the season there maybe a reason behind that effort. This season he was a good 3rd on his seasonal return, he disappointed on fast ground at Larkhill, but he followed that up with a really impressive success on testing ground at Garnons in a quick time. Given the horse who beat him at Chepstow ran so well at Newbury last week, he easily has the best form in this race and crucially he should handle the Ffos Las mud whereas his main danger won't enjoy it. The more I looked at this race the more I struggle to see how Catspan can be beaten.

Catspan 3pts

From a Hunter Chase service I subscribe too;

So after a few days off we are back in hunter chase action in Wales this afternoon and hopefully we can continue where we left off last week.Canshetrain was a fair 2nd last time out, but ran a stinker the time before and the 3rd on seasonal debut wasn't in a great contest. Has a good jockey though and this race isn't exactly strong.
Loch Ard would be a cert here if getting anywhere near his hurdling form in Ireland for Willie Mullins. The problem is he ran really badly in both pointing starts last season. The jockey change might help a little bit, but he is impossible to back on those pointing efforts.
Patricktom Boru made a winning seasonal debut earlier this month, but it wasn't much of a contest especially given the odds on favourite ran poorly. To be fair in this field he holds solid claims and has proven himself to be useful in the pointing field and did beat Mr Mercurial last season. He ran all right in a Leicester hunter chase last season and the drop in trip might help him especially based on his Chepstow run where he got tired. The main problem though is the ground and I feel conditions might be too testing for him, especially given how bad Ffos Las can be.
The Old Pretender is clearly hard to train and although he is an open winner the races weren't overly strong and he has a squiggle next to his name as well. He also wasn't at his best when last seen over 2 years ago. It would be some training performance for him to win this.
I really can't believe the price of Sweet Like You. Granted she won her maiden well 11 days ago, but that was only a maiden victory and she has loads to find on form. This isn't a strong heat, but even so backing maiden winners against Open winners is not something I would suggest. Her rating isn't even that high.
The one I haven't mentioned out of those with some sort of chance is the favourite Catspan and this looks this ideal race to land his first hunter chase win. Having seen him pull up at Didmarton last March his close 2nd at Chepstow really surprised me. He didn't really follow that up at Stratford, albeit in a hot race, but given that was his last run of the season there maybe a reason behind that effort. This season he was a good 3rd on his seasonal return, he disappointed on fast ground at Larkhill, but he followed that up with a really impressive success on testing ground at Garnons in a quick time. Given the horse who beat him at Chepstow ran so well at Newbury last week, he easily has the best form in this race and crucially he should handle the Ffos Las mud whereas his main danger won't enjoy it. The more I looked at this race the more I struggle to see how Catspan can be beaten.

Catspan 3pts

Quality call and thanks for posting.

Unfortunately I read it then swerved it because Ffos Las heavy is something I tend to avoid - even if that played a large part in the selection. Doh.

Executive Benefit runs tomorrow at Wetherby in a Mares Hunters' Chase, just the 2 declared, level weights (11-8) yet one rated 99 and one rated 57. Nice competitive affair. :blink: My mate is going mad, on a 6 runner card they have a bumper and a 2 runner mares hunters' chase. I'll be there tomorrow too, got the day off work.

Back