The Pointing Thread

Ideally I'd like to see how the ground is for the first before punting.

There's a couple I like at big prices but they really need genuine good ground to have a chance I'd say - in the first the favourite should win, it's been competing in Open company of late and decent enough Open's too.

Dabinett Moon would interest me if the ground was genuinely good but I've a feeling it's more likely to be g/s or soft.

Martin

Cheers Jarv - hopefully not got into the ground too much as don't think some of these 3m4f races at Stratford are that much of a test on decent ground.

Martin

He looks short to me - I don't think he'll be able to dominate like he did at Kempton and if anything takes him on for the lead I can see him weakening from two out.

Would be keen on the chances of Silver Story who we know stays well and though there are recent concerns around his well being having had just the one run this season he still looks worth a bet at around 50/1 while Joker Choker would likely have been second here but for coming down late on last year and is another who's available at a big price.

Struggling with what exactly Lord Fingal has beaten in his Hunter Chase outings, can't do any more than win but the form doesn't look great to me.

Following Dreams looks the most solid option here as not many of these would have the class to finish in the frame in the Foxhunters, Mr Mercurial would be the one most likely to do it but this years renewal would have been a year too soon for him.

Of the outsiders assuming it's decent enough ground - can only assume that's the case given Dabinett Moon just won then Star Of Massini @ around 200/1 e/w on Betfair would be my idea of a fair bet. He was only third in a Maiden HC last time out and has a bit to do with the principles on bare form and ratings but he's always looked like he'd appreciate a proper trip and the ground went against him really at Fontwell.

Connies Cross I like but looks so slow I couldn't have him unless it developed into a true stamina test and I think that Wayupinthesky is probably as tricky a ride at Mr Mercurial.

Martin

Turned into a proper test and he nearly got up - beginning to think now that DM just handled the ground as well as it does the quicker surface.

Next race is interesting as there's quite a few who I made a lot shorter than they are on the exchanges - don't fancy backing 6 or 7 in it though so I've just laid the favourite here.

Martin

15:30 Worcester - Wouldn't surprise me to see Red Rust run a better race than he's been doing in points. He's a fairly obvious example of a non-stayer over 3m and his one 2m4f run was on heavy ground, he's joined a top yard in Robert Stephens' and in what doesn't look a great race can be backed each-way at 80/1

Martin

Time to get this out again - Black Forest Lodge (South of Exeter) and Cottenham (North of Cambridge) get the UK season under way this Sunday.

Victoria Pendleton is due to take a couple of rides at Cottenham so that should put some numbers on the gate.

The first Hunter Chase of the season is in early/mid January.

Martin

Is she definitely going to Cottenham, Martin? Horses entered up both meetings but I wondered if they'd run down here because of forecast rain. I'd say neither course would be an easy introduction - at Cottenham they are going to go off like scalded cats whereas Black Forest Lodge can be tricky to negotiate for a Novice Rider.

I'm not sure on that one but there'll be a lot of disappointed press folk and a useless preview of the meeting from the areas main PR chap if she isn't.

Will be interesting to see where she turns up for her first ride, certainly wherever she goes (assuming it's this week) will be a much better option than the Nervous Riders at Barbury next week!

Martin

Thanks Eddie - looking forward to it.

Couple of nice ex-French horses in the Maiden's tomorrow bought by bloodstock agent David Maxwell (Brice Canyon and Big Bang De Loire) and the usual array of unraced types.

Pendleton riding at Cottenham tomorrow according to Nick Luck on Twitter Jinnyj.

Martin

Back