The Pointing Thread

Good link that Granger.

Great day at Cottenham - no Pendleton who pulled up two out on Minella Theatre down at Black Forest Lodge.

Consigliere won the Mens Open from multiple winner Executive Benefit. The winner looked very impressive once more and should be competitive in something like the Aintree Foxhunters if they go that route (more likely to stick to P2Ping though I think).

Sagalyrique took the Ladies Open under Angela Rucker for the fourth year on the spin.

Good double for Tom Morgan and Sam Davies-Thomas with two really nice ex-JP horses in Lough Inch and Tulsa.

Most impressive winner of the day came in Megablue's race where a friend of mine landed a touch from 6's into Even money favourite with his Lilbitluso who'd travelled all the way from Joe O'Shea's Cheshire yard to take the race by 50 lengths, the distances between the other finishers were 6 lengths and 56 lengths I think so you can imagine how far he won by!!

Meg hit the first and didn't jump with any fluency, our jockey pulled her up after a circuit but she wasn't at all tired and probably found the course too quick for her. Likely to go to Larkhill in two weeks time and will probably look at some Mares Maiden's or an 8yo+ Maiden later in the season.

Martin

Some tremendous racing over the festive period with one of my favourites Mount Benbulben in at Dromahane tomorrow.

Anyone in the Birmingham area should get down to Chaddesley Corbett for a 10:30am start and what looks likely to be a number of divided races on Monday.

Tomorrow the third HC of the season in Ireland takes place.

15:20 Limerick - Boruing Up A Storm @ 13/2 (PP). JP Brennan's horse had a few runs in Autumn 2014 without showing too much but returned with a solid victory over Markov at Maralin on heavy ground last month. Markov had previous finished runner-up (poss unlucky not to win) to today's impressive Sedgefield bumper winner Tomngerry (another horse I like a lot) when I was at Dowth Hall in October. The selection finished runner-up to a useful looking horse NTO in the North in Quiet Account (runner-up in an Open HC at Punchestown earlier this month) at Kirkistown prior to easily despatching of Michaelamaystar (runner-up in a weak Mares Open since) in a Winner Of Two contest on soft to heavy at Ballindenisk. The fourth that day Bandon Bridge won at Boulta for Jimmy Mangan two weeks ago and Boruing Up A Storm can see off Lord Windermere's lightly raced brother amongst others here.

Just seen the 9's has gone so now only 13/2 but still warrants a bet.

Martin

Last edited:
Yes, still with Connell/Fleming and unraced since February 2014.

Aupcharlie, Il Fenomeno, Luska Lad, Moon Dice Sydney Paget & Two Rockers are also in that race at Dromahane.

Martin

Great to have him back though Dromahane LH so doubt he'll be seen to best effect given the vast majority of his good form is going RH.

No surprise if they're lining him up for something like the Tetratema Cup at Gowran Park or the Fairyhouse Hunter Chase in February.

Martin

Yes, still with Connell/Fleming and unraced since February 2014.

Aupcharlie, Il Fenomeno, Luska Lad, Moon Dice Sydney Paget & Two Rockers are also in that race at Dromahane.

Martin

Some waste of talent Moon Dice going pointing this early in his career.I thought the owners should have sent him to WPM 3 years ago.Who would have thought that after winning a Galway hurdle and being incredibly unlucky in the Greatwood that he wouldn't win another race.For the last 18 months he has difficulty with raising a gallop.
His maiden hurdle and Galway were phenomenal for me.

Had some serious talent on his day Luke - looks to me like the sort of horse who'll struggle with the trip in Points and end up getting beaten by 110-115 horses.

Owners would be better sending him to UK where he'd probably qualify for Club Members races and can tackle the 2m4f HC's we have over here.

Martin

I've every confidence. I'm going to be methodical about it this year and punt them to level stakes. If they do well I'll send you a bottle of something.

I've every confidence. I'm going to be methodical about it this year and punt them to level stakes. If they do well I'll send you a bottle of something.

1) Ben will be doubling and trebling stakes by the middle of next week. He can't spell disciplane either.
2) Mailing bottles of p*** is illegal. Ask Nicky Henderson

Last edited:
Just had a look at today's race. As Slim had alluded to above I'm a complete guesser with no punting discipline, but to my eyes Pearlysteps looks the one. Form behind On the Fringe stands out. I'd avoid Dark Lover - I know the previous owner and he's had terrible back problems (the horse, not the owner).

Thanks Benny - my friend once told me she'd send me a bottle of something, which she duly did, it was one of those bottles of complementary shampoo from a Kyriad Hotel in Paris.

One of the front three should win really - Pearlysteps goes well fresh, Join Together given too much to do LTO & doubts surrounding Chance Du Roy on the jockey front so with fitness proven & a liking for heavy ground I'm taking a bit of a chance on Allerton here. Slight concern about the jockey but she finished runner-up on it LTO at Chaddesley Corbett behind Big Fella Thanks (not the horse he was and beaten since). I've underestimated Fergal O'Brien runners in point-to-points in the past based on OR's. I made it a lot shorter than the current 33/1 but think there'll be some 60+ available E/W with Betfair nearer the off. Also like Viking Blond who's trainer had a winner yesterday & has the assistance of top jockey Will Biddick today. He stays well and was a classy individual a few years ago, trip if anything may be on the short side and he was outpaced at Barbury Castle on his return but he could go well at a big price.

Martin

Sustainability is a huge price here too - sorry for adding another one into the mix but he went well FTO last year against a couple of equally classy sorts and @ 125/1 there'll be worse bets at that price in 2016 (trained by one of Venetian Williams' staff so should know how to get one fit).

Martin

Back