The Pointing Thread

Yes, still with Connell/Fleming and unraced since February 2014.

Aupcharlie, Il Fenomeno, Luska Lad, Moon Dice Sydney Paget & Two Rockers are also in that race at Dromahane.

Martin

What can run in the Fox Hunters this year? Mount Benbulben?

Aupcharlie, Sydney P, Two Rockers are definitely eligible as far as I know, Mount Benbulben should be also. Though would say latter is much, much better RH so may be better at Punchestown.

Martin

Good race at Wetherby - Palypso De Creek has won this a few times in the past and is the most likely winner.

Big Fella Thanks took a Novice Riders event in an absolute bog at Chaddesley Corbett over Christmas under today's jockey (new for 2015/16 season) prior to being out ridden when odds-on for a match bet. He looks far too short for me given the doubts surrounding the jockey and he's getting old now (as are many of these.

Herdsman is the unknown quantity but has joined a yard that isn't known for its Hunter Chase winners while Robin Will holds Wayupinthesky on running LTO in an Open race at Alnwick. That was run in a slow time but I'd fancy both of those to fill the second/third berth behind Palypso De Creek. They are currently 12/1 & 15/2 respectively in the W/O PDC markets.

I'd give little chance to the other two who both look to have plenty to find in this.

Martin

Sorry Benny - was away at Horseheath yesterday.

FWIW I thought Nowurhurlin was around the right price and bet it 9/2 the field. The value bet was Pena Dorada and the lay was fairly obvious at the head of the market.

Martin

No and he's running out of time.

Not certain when the deadline is but it's normally the end of Feb or beginning of March - he needs an Open win & a Hunter Chase place or two Open wins or two Hunter Chase places to qualify.

No strong view on today's race but it should see qualification wrapped up for Dark Lover with regards to the Foxhunters.

Think that Locked Inthepocket may well run better than many seem to think but the marked drift is worrying and in reality it's probably best to keep our powder dry until Friday's 2m4f event at Bangor.

Martin

Not much of angle into today's race:

Little Fritz should be half the 33's that he is at the moment - doesn't stay 3m so wouldn't have done anything LTO anyway and placed in these short HC's at a big price in recent years, doesn't like winning though (still a maiden) which is the biggest concern.

Angle could be a lay to back of Klepht who is the best horse in the race but Drew Holmes isn't that good - we've backed him a few times when he's been on the best horse and got it beaten so not hard to see him trading bigger during the race.

Martin

No worries EC - preference tomorrow for Carlton Ryan who is clear on the ratings I use, has a competent jockey up and the only issue is him jumping round on his Rules debut. He won in a time 2.6 seconds slower than Wetherby winner Palypso De Creek on the same card at Sheriff Hutton last month and while the runner-up from his Club Members (Fearthedark) has been beaten at least twice since he should have the measure of Big Georgie IMHO in what looks a match race.

Martin

Had to work for it but job done, thanks Martin.

Bone to pick with you though; why didn't you give us the 25/1 winner of the Kelso HC???

Tbh I completely forgot about Kelso and only realised it was on when a friend asked where my tissue prices were that we compare!!

FWIW I like Barachois Silver (4th) in that and sure she'll go well again at a big price later in the season. Think we backed Durban Gold up at Kelso last year too.

Think Good Egg can turnover Pacha Du Polder tomorrow - very impressive over 3m4f LTO and though his jockey hasn't ridden a winner over fences she's had some success in the P2P sphere & Fakenham is a particularly hard track to ride IMHO with many jockey's going for home too soon, if she does that at least Good Egg stays further and he should be second fav IMHO.

Martin

Cheers.

Backed Connies Cross today in the hope that he can outstay them in conditions - he was runner-up when we were on at Cheltenham in the 4m race on Hunter Chase night as a relatively inexperienced horse and though beaten by the well backed Ace High (4/1 into 7/4) last time out at Cocklebarrow over 3m6f he should improve for that run. Like he'll be outpaced at some point though so an I/R play may be the best bet.

Don't really rate the rider on Richmond for all the horse has finished runner-up to two good Hunter Chasers this season and hoping for a bit of a drift on Chartreux who was a good horse a couple of years ago and has the best jockey in the race on board, for all he has less HC experience than many in here.

Martin

Last edited:
Salsify needs another win (p2p) to qualify for Foxhunter's Chase despite winning it twice. His win today is not enough according to ATR .

Is this a recent phenomenon ?

I got hot under the collar when Apache Gold was in a ballot for a race he won twice previously but this is surely beyond the pale.

We argue that NH racing is better because you get to see your heroes year in year out and now this.
Some one needs to get their ass kicked imo.

As far as I know that's a load of tosh Edgt and he should be qualified already - "for five yr olds and upwards that since 1st October 2013 and before 2nd March 2016 have been placed first or second on two occasions in a hunters' steeplechase in Great Britain or Ireland..."

Basically Salsify has qualified many times over as far as I'm concerned/ No Open wins over fences either in 20k+ value races so should be fine.

Race is cutting up a bit now with Oscar Barton out etc.

Think that Churchtown Love should go well at a big price tomorrow - she had a genuine amateur jockey up and was still leading when falling in a match on Sunday, was a useful horse a couple of years ago though this is generally not my kind of race ie. not enough recent P2P form on show.

Martin

I think it's the 'since 1st October 2013' bit that's a problem, Martin. From atr:
'Trainer Rodger Sweeney said: "He was injured in 2014 and got injured again at Cheltenham in 2015, but he seems to be back there in a big way."He jumped well, and we'll have to have a look at the rule book now. I think he needs to win a point-to-point to qualify for Cheltenham, so he may go for an open race next weekend. Otherwise he will stay at home and go for the Tetratema at Gowran."'

Cheers Archie - I didn't read what I'd typed!

I'm sure it used to be 1st, 2nd or 3rd in a Hunter Chase since the date in question.

martin

Last edited:
Think only five have a chance in this.

Decade Player - Comes from a good yard, placed on the ground, 2m horse really and weakened quickly after 2m4f(ish) at Higham (speed track) LTO, the winner is a machine who'll go well for the Hills in a HC later in the season and the third has won 2 or 3 since. Good jockey up for a very good trainer so took some decent prices about him last night.

The Wealerdealer - Won over 2m4f as a youngster, ground should be fine for him but has a shocking attitude and doubts about his effectiveness at 2m.

Delta Borget - Not won in 19 starts under Rules which is a big worry, placed and run well in a lot of 2m-2m4f HC's in the past. Pulled up on his return Milborne St Andrew behind Queens Bay and Pacha du Polder but that's not a huge surprise given the stamina test that ended up being and he should run his race once more though would prefer better ground.

Swallows Delight - Been off the boil for a couple of years but ran well enough at Cheltenham behind Sam Cavallaro in April. Held by Delta B on a few pieces of form though and his PU effort on his return should help him fitness wise for this given he was out the back the whole way.

Ambitious Pursuit - Convinced after his Exeter run last year that there's a Hunter Chase in this fellow, he disappointing on quick ground over 3m at Exeter on his only subsequent HC start. He weakened into third in a Novice Riders a few weeks ago but that's not a surprise as I'm sure he's better over shorter trips, the ground is a concern but probably worth a bet e/w @ 33/1.

Martin

Think only five have a chance in this.

Decade Player - Comes from a good yard, placed on the ground, 2m horse really and weakened quickly after 2m4f(ish) at Higham (speed track) LTO, the winner is a machine who'll go well for the Hills in a HC later in the season and the third has won 2 or 3 since. Good jockey up for a very good trainer so took some decent prices about him last night.

The Wealerdealer - Won over 2m4f as a youngster, ground should be fine for him but has a shocking attitude and doubts about his effectiveness at 2m.

Delta Borget - Not won in 19 starts under Rules which is a big worry, placed and run well in a lot of 2m-2m4f HC's in the past. Pulled up on his return Milborne St Andrew behind Queens Bay and Pacha du Polder but that's not a huge surprise given the stamina test that ended up being and he should run his race once more though would prefer better ground.

Swallows Delight - Been off the boil for a couple of years but ran well enough at Cheltenham behind Sam Cavallaro in April. Held by Delta B on a few pieces of form though and his PU effort on his return should help him fitness wise for this given he was out the back the whole way.

Ambitious Pursuit - Convinced after his Exeter run last year that there's a Hunter Chase in this fellow, he disappointing on quick ground over 3m at Exeter on his only subsequent HC start. He weakened into third in a Novice Riders a few weeks ago but that's not a surprise as I'm sure he's better over shorter trips, the ground is a concern but probably worth a bet e/w @ 33/1.

Martin

I left the fav out and combined the other 4 in a f/c for a profit of £118+ Cheers Martin :adore:

Settled Description Odds Stake (£) Return (£) Status
23-Feb-16
16:52:29 16:45 Taunton
Combination Forecast (4) - Win
Betfair Bet ID O/6561083/*********** | Placed: 23-Feb-16 16:41:22
--
12.00 130.57 Won

Back