The Pointing Thread

You're probably right Jinny - think it might have been Barbury he made his return at that year but know it was around Feb time so MSA would fit in with that.

Martin

Apologies - I've been out at Askham Bryan P2P today.

FWIW my views were the jockey on the winner isn't very good and the second represented the e/w value in the race last night.

Martin

3:20 Not a huge surprise to see early money for You Too Pet last night given how well he won at Thorpe Lodge. He's up in grade here but the Mason's know how to train one and interesting he heads here rather than to the Maiden event later on in the day. Personally I'm keen on Ockey De Neulliac (11/1) who's gone well fresh in the past and boasts some classy form from last season when winning the Walrus at Haydock. The drop in trip shouldn't inconvenience him and while Robbie will be hard to beat after an easy win LTO (runner-up won on Sunday) he's short enough in the market. Wings Of Smoke & Midnight Appeal look far too short to me.

16:20 Thetalkinghorse is getting towards the right price after his Thorpe Lodge victory LTO with a very good jockey up (one of the best P2P riders around IMHO). The other who looks a big price in this is Melt The Silver who's returning from a two year lay-off here, he had only Current Exchange in front of him when runner-up LTO in March 2014 at Brampton Bryan whilst he'd won a Mixed Open in a fast time prior to that. Cooladerry King finished runner-up to Our Mick at Bangor LTO but that probably wasn't a great race and IMHO the horse has some pretty serious physical problems and he struggle in a HC at Bangor back in May while Mister Teddy is another who I don't think is good enough to take this.

Martin

Any value against the big two at Wincanton today Martin? Or is this the day things finally drop right for the lovely Miss Pendleton?

Any value against the big two at Wincanton today Martin? Or is this the day things finally drop right for the lovely Miss Pendleton?

I hope the penny finally drops for her. Stick to PtP for another year. BFT is surely too strong for this race

Wouldn't be backing BFT at a short price. If there's a 'w/o PdP' market I'd look to take him on with something. Hoping Martin will tell me what!

Couldn't back Big Fella Thanks at anything like this price in here.

Think the value probably lies with the three after them in the betting - Gauvain who goes well fresh, Never Complain who has a good jockey up and some very decent form from Ireland & Flaming Gorge who didn't really stay last time out and has the best jockey in the race up.

Martin

Couldn't back Big Fella Thanks at anything like this price in here.

Think the value probably lies with the three after them in the betting - Gauvain who goes well fresh, Never Complain who has a good jockey up and some very decent form from Ireland & Flaming Gorge who didn't really stay last time out and has the best jockey in the race up.

Martin

Cheers Martin. Out of the three which would you back and would you go ew or w/o BFT? Sorry to ask so many questions!

I'd go with Gauvain straight E/W 3 places @ 14/1 tbh - he's the most overpriced of the three I mention there. Would also have a couple of quid on Ambitious Pursuit at a huge price.

Martin

Victoria Pendleton gone off in front at Wincanton now. Different tactics today. Possibly to stay out of trouble. Jumping well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just heard on the radio she's getting paid £200k for being an amateur at the festival. Is this correct?

Just heard on the radio she's getting paid £200k for being an amateur at the festival. Is this correct?

She is getting paid 200k + by Betfair. Nothing for the actual riding as that would be illegal obv. Its another brilliant marketing campaign by Betfair that has sports writers wanking themselves into a frenzy. Lets be clear - give me 4 months training with Yogi and I could have ridden that race today.

She is getting paid 200k + by Betfair. Nothing for the actual riding as that would be illegal obv. Its another brilliant marketing campaign by Betfair that has sports writers wanking themselves into a frenzy. Lets be clear - give me 4 months training with Yogi and I could have ridden that race today.

Do you have any riding experience? I've schooled horses over fences and I can tell you it's not at all easy. Given that she had never sat on a horse a year ago it's phenomenal what she's achieved.

I take my hat off to her..she is a brave lass

but lets not get carried away..she was on the best horse receiving weight from lessers..she took it to the front to keep out of trouble..she had a few jumps where she wasn't totally in control...but i thought she did really well

the foxhunters is a different ball game though isn't it?...if you want to lead those you will be going faster than today...and if you don't lead there you are in a whole different experience to what she faced today

the sensible option is to wait a year..get some more experience..the foxhunters is scarey different to today

Last edited:
I take my hat off to her..she is a brave lass

but lets not get carried away..she was on the best horse receiving weight from lessers..she took it to the front to keep out of trouble..she had a few jumps where she wasn't totally in control...but i thought she did really well

the foxhunters is a different ball game though isn't it?...if you want to lead those you will be going faster than today...and if you don't lead there you are in a whole different experience to what she faced today

the sensible option is to wait a year..get some more experience..the foxhunters is scarey different to today

All that's true EC, but if she wants to have a go I can't see a reason why she shouldn't. It's her risk to take, along with the owner.

Am I right in saying she's not a definite to run at the festival? Haven't really been following it but in an interview there she said she'd have to see if they let her in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh yes Benny..its up to her..but if it were your daughter..you would be saying..give it a year?

i don't want to see the girl injured...thats not decrying her..i admire what she has done...but its the foxhunters,,its not a romp round wincanton

oh yes Benny..its up to her..but if it were your daughter..you would be saying..give it a year?

i don't want to see the girl injured...thats not decrying her..i admire what she has done...but its the foxhunters,,its not a romp round wincanton
From what I've heard, she only gets paid if she lines up at Cheltenham.

Do you have any riding experience? I've schooled horses over fences and I can tell you it's not at all easy. Given that she had never sat on a horse a year ago it's phenomenal what she's achieved.

Trust me Digger has plenty of riding experience!

Great to see VP winning yesterday.

Not an amazing start to the year for us on here but:

16:50 Ludlow - Invisible Man @ 16/1. Double the price he should be, generally goes well in these 2m4f competitive HC's and while Phine Banks isn't the best with doubts surrounding Monkey Kingdom & Grandioso she should at least be in a position to take advantage.

Martin

Back