The Pointing Thread

Some ride by Nina there. Not forgetting a great effort from Victoria P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come and say hello! I should be leading up a horse called Jonimo in the last! (he's nice but has a wind issue)

Look out for Brandevin in the Restricted and possibly a horse called The Editor in the maiden.

Last edited:
Only had a quick look and looks likely to be a Barber benefit to me - would be interested in a price about Sutton Storm W/O the fav in the Restricted - run well in these before and though he doesn't like winning he's been placed in this grade a lot.

Againn Dul Aghaidh was a lovely looking horse IIRC when I saw him at Eyton last year - the better ground he might get here should help compared to what he's been on this season and he's very interesting if making the trip down from Shropshire.

Martin

I'll be down at Brafield - expecting some competitive racing and a win for Katkolys in the Confined event given he should strip fitter for his Horseheath return.

Our trainer runs two at Penshurts - Gorhams Gift works well but looks devoid on his Rules form, has his first P2P start in the Open Maiden. Did You Ever goes in the Restricted in her colours for the first time in a few years. Hoping he goes well but will have a better chance when the ground really dries up in April.

Barneys Honour should be out for us in 3(ish) weeks time.

Martin

In the Hunter Chase it's hard to know what to make of Long Run, price wise it looks like he'll be heading towards 1/3 but I'd be happy to take the 16's about Ockey De Neulliac bouncing back from that iffy run on heavy at Leicester in a hot race last time out.

Martin

Scrap the Katkolys stuff - just seen it was left clear when my friends horse UR at Garthorpe today so won the Intermediate race at 10's.

Martin

In the Hunter Chase it's hard to know what to make of Long Run, price wise it looks like he'll be heading towards 1/3 but I'd be happy to take the 16's about Ockey De Neulliac bouncing back from that iffy run on heavy at Leicester in a hot race last time out.

Martin

I know they are within their rights to run, but it feels a bit wrong that they are using a hunter chase to prep a gold cup winner for a tilt at the national or the whitbread.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him beaten today, and part of me hopes he is.

Martin

Just nailed close home, A massive shout nonetheless Martin

Long run a shadow of his former self

So close.. fantastic shout again Martin. Really thought we were in for the big pay out. I didn't think Robbie would stay either. Fine margins. Cheers Martin 👍

Cheers guys, gutted to get done on the line like that.

Did You Ever finished runner-up in a fair sized field on his return so very pleased with that and should hopefully put him spot on for Libby's Head Girl riding him at Charing on Saturday.

Gorhams Gift ran well enough too before pulling up two from home.

Apologies to BennyB as Sheila Crowe only went as far as Garnons with Againn Dul Aghaidh and he won the 2m4f Maiden there.

Good racing at Brafield - very interesting Mens Open with a false start/not a false start situation and the winner jumping the opening fence twice (assuming no false start was called).

Couple of good hunter chases today Martin. To my eye both favourites look opposable.

As ever would be grateful for your thoughts!!

Good call in the first Benny.

Agree with you, don't think that the mare Cecile De Volanges is a 28/1 chance in the last. She was 4th over 3m2f in the Lady Dudley Cup last year and also won a 4m Open race in the South West. She still held a chance when unseating three out at Cocklebarrow on her return and while she might lack for pace here the soft ground should help in that regard and she looks worth an e/w bet.

Martin

Any thoughts on Exeter today Martin? I'm going round in circles trying to work the race out.

BFT looks opposable, but the obvious one Delta Borget has doubts about the trip. Most of the others have been in poor form.

My pin is hovering over Mr Moss - no doubts about trip/ground and the recent form behind Nowurhurlin looks OK. At 25/1 might be worth an each way bet.

Would be laying BFT - not convinced by DB over 2m3f tbh for all he should be competitive. Mr Moss could go well and Mr Satco if handling the ground too.

Martin

Any mileage in taking on Twirling Magnet at Newbury today Martin? Looks short to me.

Conversely Thetalkinghorse looks a good thing to me at Wetherby.

Last edited:
I'd be looking to take on Best Boy Barney at Wincanton today. Similar to Friday's race in that it appears the market just assumes rules form is superior to hunter chase/point form, purely because few people have a handle on the latter.

Question is, what do we take him on with. Cygnet looks pretty solid, and iron Chancellor has been backed.

I'm one of On The Fringe's biggest fans and he was one of my bankers for Cheltenham but I'm going to desert him today with Pacha Du Polder.

The reasons are fairly obvious based on the tender ride he was given at Cheltenham, watch how close he is to On The Fringe turning in but when Nina gets after the winner Victoria doesn't move and forfeits a wide margin with the horse having plenty left at the line. Nicholls has long said he's a much better and stronger horse than he was last year so that alone would be enough for him to get closer to the favourite than he did in last year's renewal but the fact that that horse hasn't looked the same horse so far this season increase the chances of Nicholls' horse.

Jamie Codd is as good an amateur as there is but he doesn't know the horse like Nina whereas Will Biddick (no mug himself) had a lovely spin round here on Pacha Du Polder last year.

Plus Pacha Du Polder is still only a 9yo compared to On The Fringe who's now 11 and I snaffled some of the 7/2 earlier because I reckon they should be sharing favouritism.

Last edited:
Back