The Pointing Thread

Former pointer Sumkindofking put up a taking performance on his rules debut for the in-form Tom George yesterday and is definitely one to follow when the ground is decent, being by King's Theatre.

Entered at Cheltenham Sunday in the NH Flat race

13:55 Lingfield - Galros Lady. This is the best handicapped horse in training, I put her up for the Huntingdon Novices Hunter Chase in May when she ran like a drain having been in season. She racked up a few wins last season having been beaten by Innocent Girl who hacked up off a similarly low mark and has won a few times since under Rules at Barbury last season. The trip of 2m4f should be fine for her as she won over this trip (probably shorter in reality) at Cottenham in January and sold for a fair few quid (for one of her rating) during the Summer. I'd be very disappointed if she's beaten and certainly surprised if she starts odds-against.

Martin

Won very easily - pity the race cut up so bad though.

Great shout Martin. Wish I'd read that before 1:50 :(

cracking as usual Martin.

Could anyone give me a description of Dromahane PTP Racecourse..in fact a description of some of the other main ones would be very helpful generally

I have seen a video of the track and it looks like its not partucularly undulating..pretty even..but then drops away from the stand and they seem to climb back to the finish

what im wanting is..

does track suits sharp or galloping type..
undulating or level in general
stiff finish or not..

those 3 categories

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Dromahane is left-handed, never been myself but a friend tells me that she's not certain it's 3m in distance, 3 fences in the straight & often attracts a decent calibre of horse to it, beware of the Confined Hunts Maiden race they stage, it's generally pretty poor relative to the others.

Galloping type I think, wouldn't say finish is stiff.

Martin

Dromahane is left-handed, never been myself but a friend tells me that she's not certain it's 3m in distance, 3 fences in the straight & often attracts a decent calibre of horse to it, beware of the Confined Hunts Maiden race they stage, it's generally pretty poor relative to the others.

Galloping type I think, wouldn't say finish is stiff.

Martin

many thanks..may ask about others soon

yes the video didn't seem too stiff..sort of levelish..fair test

Last edited:
Stiff enough as you climb all the way from the final bend to the finish whereas the far side is downhill.
Used only as a schooling and point to point track( throughout the year) so how sharp the track is dependant on siting of the rails for fresh ground.
As such the distance may not be the full 3 miles as they seem to start and finish at the same spot.

I've been to Tatts Farm, Fairyhouse P2P, Punchestown P2P, Maralin & Loughanmore if I can help with any of those let me know.

Martin

that would be great Martin

like i mentioned i just want a basic desription that we have with other tracks..sharp or galloping...level or undulating...stiff finish or not..those 3 descriptions would be great for any of the PTP tracks.

Tatts Farm - flat & right handed, can get very quick in the Spring & heavy in the winter. Longish sweeping bend after the winning post but effectively 2 straights with 2 fences in the home straight and a stiffish finish.

Punchestown P2P - run on the inside of the hurdles course, right handed & effectively just a tighter version of Punchestown's hurdles track.

Fairyhouse P2P - the same as the above but for Fairyhouse, fair track so rarely any hard luck stories.

Maralin - left handed track of about a mile in length so tight, there are two fences in the home straight with one coming after the finish line. There's a climb to the fence at the top of the hill (2 out) where horses often make mistakes/depart and then a steep downhill run followed by an uphill stretch of about 100 yards prior to the last, the finish is relatively flat but you often see horses finishing strongly due to the nature of the track. The track often attracts a decent horse or two for their maiden's, Buckers Bridge & Stiletto are two that I've seen there personally.

Loughanmore - in the Autumn they generally race left-handed & in the Spring meetings they race right-handed. It's a flat track that has quite sharp bends, it's very close to Belfast International Airport for anyone who fancies a visit & is another that attracts a decent quality of horse - Definitly Red having run their twice when P2Ping.

Martin

No problem EC.

For what it's worth there's a description of each track via the fixtures tab on p2p.ie. This is what it says about Loughbrickland for example "Compact oval track. Approximately seven furlongs. Climb over last two fences but not over testing as decline to line after last also. Begin about three furlongs from winning post and climb to first(last) before downhill run to winning post, fence two just after winning post in straight before racing downhill left handed before straightening up along back straight. Fence three and four are met on the level along back straight before climbing and turning left handed out of back straight to fifth fence which completes circuit."

Any thoughts on the form of Dennis our Menace? Runs today 3.40 Ludlow. Second at littlewindsor in a 2m4f maiden, winner has subsequently won for Nicholls. 40/1 at present or 20/1 without the top two in the market

Looks a big price from a decent yard, albeit one that's lacking in Rules winners of late - winner of that Littlewindsor maiden won first time out under Rules a couple of weeks ago.

Would also take a look at January Don in the opener at Plumpton, probably won't be good enough to win with plenty of support for the favourite but was still in touch when coming down at Dingley. The Dingley race is one the trainer had won in the past with a horse that looked very promising prior to suffering an injury and January Don may outrun his likely price for a yard that do well here.

Martin

No problem Benny - hopefully Dennis Our Menace goes better than January Don though the latter did run well for a long way, just weakened in the straight.

Topofthegame running for Nicholls at Ascot today. Cost a tidy penny after beating No Hassle Hoff at Belclare in March. top prospect?

I was at a gallop at Dromahane this Tuesday.
Ml Winters and Adrian Maguire were schooling a few but Michael has a 4 yo Wareed ex p2p winner that is really exciting the way he schooled over hurdles and galloped.
owner is willing to syndicate and i hope to have him at GBB Day/ Irish Champion Hurdles Day if anyone is interested.
Unnamed as of yet.

Back