The Pointing Thread

Should have just layed the favourite to cover my stake on the other two - no harm done as would have backed Rathcor before Winterwood anyway.

Backing Polyfast over Fresh Air And Fun with the jockey up for the first time was a mistake though.

On to tomorrow's competitive affair at Huntingdon and looking at the early exchanges it looks like another Hunter Chase in which I'll be opposing the likely early favourite (The Polomoche).

Martin

Should have just layed the favourite to cover my stake on the other two - no harm done as would have backed Rathcor before Winterwood anyway.

Backing Polyfast over Fresh Air And Fun with the jockey up for the first time was a mistake though.

On to tomorrow's competitive affair at Huntingdon and looking at the early exchanges it looks like another Hunter Chase in which I'll be opposing the likely early favourite (The Polomoche).

Martin

I backed FAAF on the strength of your critique of the race so many thanks Martin. Won well.

Like the look of Point Proven today. Think 11's is big enough for him.

My tissue for today:

7/2 The Polomoche
4/1 Keeverfield
9/2 The General Lee
15/2 Sovereign King
10/1 Gidam Gidam
11/1 Point Proven
16/1 L'Oudon
20/1 Echo India

Will be backing Point Proven with you judged on the current early exchanges - disappointing on his past two starts down here but win at brafield was solid and has been very consistent in recent seasons, Tom Ellis is a good jockey and though the horse is something of a character I can see him being in the shake up.

Martin

They should be Grey - the horse has never been eligible for the race since betting opened on it.

Betfair have already voided all bets on the horse.

Bookies are refunding. As IS says, there was never any possibility of him being qualified which leaves them with little choice.

Quick one from the weekend - in Ireland Count Salazaar who has solid Maiden form behind Salsify last season booked his Cheltenham ticket with an Open win at Oldcastle.

I was at Marks Tey in Essex myself where the area started the card with the first pony races of the season in the area and a winning return was made by star mare Doppio Movimento under new jockey Jack Andrews and trained by Harriet Bryce, she can be reluctant to start but having jumped off towards the rear she came through to win easily by around 10 lengths.

For fans of ex-rules horses Scots Dragoon went in the Ladies Open and finished a well beaten 3rd 25 3/4 lengths behind the winner Rainbow Tree who scored by 3/4 length under Alex Dunn from former Cork HC victor Emergency Cover (who was having his first UK P2P start for Nigel Padfield).

George Cooper recorded a rare double on the card with two siblings scoring, firstly with Mambo Ruler taking the Members and then his half-sister Midnight Ruler went in in the Restricted, the favourite Greatballsoffire was PU in this as was the fancied Big As A Bishop who was reported to have had a wind op but was PU after 5 or so fences on welfare grounds - IMO he'll be one to look out for in the future on a sound surface.

Wondered where Scotty went - Id heard he came 3rd (well, at least she didnt fall off - thats a novelty) but not if it was a decent 3rd or no... how did he look Mins - ok??

Only result from yesterday weve been allowed to talk about is from Badbury Rings where my boss beat a Whaley-Cohen horse in a "photo" finish.... first win for Martin, and nice that Percy had a going day again :)

He looked fine Trudi just not as quick as he used to be - Camilla not my favourite jockey but there'd be worse around too.

Good to see your boss win down there too particularly after the mishap earlier on in the season ;-)

Martin

not bad for a horse that they said theyd never sell....:mad:

as for C - the less said the better I think :whistle: but im glad hes ok - he just looks after himself - hasnt been the same horse for the last two seasons - scottish national broke him IMO. Shame, cos hes a loveley horse - just doesnt like racing any more ! Still, not my place to say what they should have done with him.

Findlays Find to win by a distance today in Leicester HC. I'm getting on the over distance bets as I predict he'll outclass these.

Findlays Find to win by a distance today in Leicester HC. I'm getting on the over distance bets as I predict he'll outclass these.

Hopefully I'll get this bad luck out of the way before the Festival! Wouldn't have won too far if he stood up anyway.

Unlucky today Trefflich - actually had FF down as a lay given IMO they over raced him last season as a youngster and he'll fall out of love with racing sooner or later. Didn't look that way today though not convinced he'd have beaten the winner anyway.

Good looking HC tomorrow at Folkestone and think there'll be some value in the early prices, the front two both look very decent though one jockey is obviously much better than the other.

Martin

Off to Folkestone tomorrow so if anyone want's me to post my paddock notes then I'll happily do so.

I think it's pretty much a match race tbh - Start Royal vs. Session Or Ression and given that I had the latter a lot shorter than he is at the moment when I priced the race up last night then he has to be the bet in this.

SoR cost connections a nice few quid after a brilliant season in Ireland last year and it was only a ballot that kept him from running in the Foxhunters that year - he's been entered in points a number of times this season and connections seem keen to avoid fast ground with him, Start Royal will undoubtedly benefit from being reunited with the excellent James Tudor and as seen from my comments regarding her riding of Horner Woods in his two starts this season I have my doubts about Miss Grissell as a jockey but the horse seems to have a decent turn of foot judged on his Rathcannon win in 2011 and at 11/4 he'll do for me.

Martin

I think it's pretty much a match race tbh - Start Royal vs. Session Or Ression and given that I had the latter a lot shorter than he is at the moment when I priced the race up last night then he has to be the bet in this.

SoR cost connections a nice few quid after a brilliant season in Ireland last year and it was only a ballot that kept him from running in the Foxhunters that year - he's been entered in points a number of times this season and connections seem keen to avoid fast ground with him, Start Royal will undoubtedly benefit from being reunited with the excellent James Tudor and as seen from my comments regarding her riding of Horner Woods in his two starts this season I have my doubts about Miss Grissell as a jockey but the horse seems to have a decent turn of foot judged on his Rathcannon win in 2011 and at 11/4 he'll do for me.

Martin

Start Royal here for me Martin, can't have the jock on the second fav from my very limited (once) sightings of her. Only SoR ability can be the stumbling block for Start Royal as Mr Tudor will win 99 races out of 100 against Grissell.

This game is swings and round abouts...Sure my goose was cooked there but hey Lady Luck was on my side today. I'm sure Ms Grissell will be gutted this evening.

Well done Trefflich - you need a bit of luck in racing and Start Royal had it today.

Session Or Ression jumped badly left handed at times which certainly didn't help him but IMO he was on top when coming down so will be interesting to see where they go next with him - hopefully there'll be something for him on HC night at Cheltenham or the Aintree Foxhunters if possible.

Martin

I thought you were on yet another hunter chase winner there, Martin, but unfortunately the fears about the jockey were all too accurate.

True Grey - worried that Start Royal hit something of a flat spot mid-race too tbh, but he more than deserves his HC win after a few near misses and a day at Fakenham when I thought he was already passed the post!!

Two HC's for tomorrow so hoping we'll be back on track tomorrow at Ludlow and Taunton :)

So where are the Pointing great and good heading to this weekend, then? Presumably Horseheath for you on Saturday, Martin, but if you're Tweseldowning on Sunday I'll be there also.

At last, at last - my last three planned visits have all been scuppered by the weather! Pretty wet day forecast, though.

Another nice one crossed off the list on Saturday will be Bishops Court, the venue run (autocratically) right up until his death by Oliver Carter. I half expect a celestial tap on the shoulder should I make the mistake of not putting my rubbish in the litter bins provided - his absolute bugbear, even (or maybe all the more so) after someone tried to shut him up during a row by stuffing him in one such bin!

gc

I'm on holiday at the moment Jeremy so back at my parents in the wonderful pointing stronghold of the NW (home of the season that starts early March and ends early April).

Will be attempting a double header next weekend though with most likely Kingston Blount (and touchwood another siting of Harbour Court) and Godstone most likely on the Sunday.

Good luck at Bishops Court :)

Martin

Back