Gamla Stan

At the Start
Is an absolute humdinger of a race...

Goldikova
Paco Boy
Silver Frost
Never On Sunday
Aqlaam

All likely runners with plenty of others entered.

This Sunday at Deauville.

Paco Boy ruled out.

Gladiatorus also a possible, for those of you who enjoy watching horses regress beyond belief.

Makes sense as it's the only 7f G1 in the european calendar and he is probably the best 7f horse in Europe.

Would be a cutting their nose off to spite their face job if they carried on running him the G1 miles when this race was there.

Yes, I agree, but I think Hannon mentioned targeting him at Hong Kong towards the end of the year, and since he has been on the go since before Dubai, a break is probably needed to be able to do that.

I certainly wouldn't. I hope most of the better horses turn up to get a reasonable price. An uncomplicated horse such as Goldikova is a joy to bet on.

It's hard to see her getting beat. Silver Frost will give her most to do and the prices will dictate which one I back.

I certainly wouldn't. I hope most of the better horses turn up to get a reasonable price. An uncomplicated horse such as Goldikova is a joy to bet on.

A return was certainly never in doubt last time out. Can't see her getting beat in that sort of form.

Prices from 365 and Blue Sq...

Goldikova 6/4
Silver Frost 9/2
Gladiatorus 5/1
Never On Sunday 7/1
Aqlaam 8/1
Virtual 10/1
Famous Name 10/1

I'd say that's about right to be honest. Goldikova a fair price. Hoping Silver will drift out to get a decent each way bet out of him.

They looked like they went a heck of a pace in Goldikova's race the last day and regardless of how easy she looked to win it I am surprised they are not giving her a little more time off particularly as this is likely to be run in softish ground. Famous Name might be capable of sneaking a place if the likes of Gladiatorus disappoint again.

Gladiatorus is a woeful price, he needs to go round a bend to be at his best, and be smacked off his t!ts.

Gladiatorus is a woeful price, he needs to go round a bend to be at his best, and be smacked off his t!ts.

Is that based on one run in the Queen Anne with a novice on board who let him go too quick over a stiff mile when the stable was out of form?!

He is the highest rated horse in the race and it could end up being one of those e/w bets to nothing which pays handsomely if he returns to form. I would want bigger but I can't underestimate this horse on the back of that one performance and I doubt the bookies will either. Dettori will be riding I assume which in my opinion is a massive plus plus the stable is bang in form now.

The same "novice" gave him an absolute peach to absolutely murder the Duty Free though. I can't have the fact that he went off too quick in the Queen Anne, he went off the same pace in the Duty Free. The reason for his Queen Anne performance is one, or a combination of the following....

1. Godolphin have ruined the horse, he wouldn't be the first.
2. He was possibly running on substances which are banned in the UK.
3. He is better round a turn, let me reproduce something from Nick Mordin....

The big shock in the race was the appalling run of Dubai Duty Free winner GLADIATORUS (21). He's the best horse in the world, both on official figures and mine, so his near twenty length flop was astonishing. If he'd run to the form he'd shown in Dubai he would have won this comfortably.

Barring some unreported physical problem, the most likely explanation for the dreadful run of Gladiatorus was the straight course.

Gladiatorus is a free running horse. He blasted five lengths clear at a very strong pace here before folding. It now seems probable that he needs a turn to curb his exuberance and a relatively short homestraight.
The only previous time that Gladiatorus ran on a straight course was when he finished sixth by seven and a half lengths in a Group 3 at a two year old. That stood as his worst lifetime run till his Queen Anne disaster.

The only time that Gladiatorus has run on a track with a really long homestraight was when he surrendered a four length lead up the half mile finishing stretch at San Siro when running second in the Gran Criterium. Gladiatorus has won nine of his ten starts on round courses with homestraights less than half a mile in length. He ran second in his sole loss and I'm betting he had some excuse.

The worrying question now is exactly where does Gladiatorus go from here? If my analysis is right he's going to be unsuited to pretty much all the big European races he's now entered in or could be entered in. The ones that don't feature straight courses or half mile plus homestraights have steep uphill finishes which will probably be just as bad for Gladiatorus.

It seems to me that Gladiatorus is on the wrong continent. In Europe there's basically nothing for him. But in America every track is dead flat, tight with a short homestraight. And the firm ground that Gladiatorus favours is the norm. He could easily rack up two or three Grade 1 wins there and end up a hot favourite for the Breeders' Cup Mile, a race he's eligible for without the need to pay a big supplementary entry fee.

Surely this is more like a win or bust scenario? I understand an e/w bet to nothing to be a horse who is almost sure to finish in the top 3 as he is consistent and reliable.

Glad is anything but.

I'd agree with BTB. If you have faith in the horse Aragorn then back him, but his pefermance id highly unpredictable (he could finish anywhere in this field) and is a long way from being certain to fill a place. "Win or bust" seems to me a good way of putting it. It's seems just as likely to be bust as anything else.

Stan, seems a fair point Mordin is making - I tried to find a map of the Deauville racecourse to check out the configuration but I can't find one - From memory I can remember if it is dead straight or if it is run from off a bend? I'm guessing it's a straight mile.

I just think if he had not run at Ascot he would be vying for favouritism. In previous seasons i've steered away from Godolphin but this new surface they have at home seemsto be helping as this is the best I can remember them running for some time. They weren't in such great form leading up to ascot.

The 127 may prove to be a freak result so taking your comments on board i'm going to have an interest on him to place only (Goldikova scares me! a lot!) if BF put up a market for it.

Back