The Prix Jacques Le Marois

My reasoning was based on Aqlaam improving/running to his best, and Virtual running to near his OR. I felt the RPR downgraded Aqlaam & Virtual to ensure Goldikova wasn't given a rating above 130.

Timeform go:
Goldikova 132
Aqlaam 121
Virtual 108

Thanks Hamm. I see what you mean, but I think that with an RPR of 130 a TS of 134 and a Timeform figure of 132, even her greatest fans should be content. Anything much higher is wandering into the territory of Allez France and co!

I just think it's a nonsensical argument to try and say that Goldikova is better. The only empirical evidence we have is that Zarkava beat her comfortably on two occasions (Watch the races again if you can - Anyone have a link?) at two distances in their 3yo season. Trying to compare the form with what Goldikova is doing now just doesn't hold as much water, ratings or no ratings.

At the end of last season we knew Goldikova was a top class miler, which only contributed to the undisputable generation topping form of Zarkava. She would have thumped New Approach as well IMO.

I just think it's a nonsensical argument to try and say that Goldikova is better. The only empirical evidence we have is that Zarkava beat her comfortably on two occasions (Watch the races again if you can - Anyone have a link?) at two distances in their 3yo season. Trying to compare the form with what Goldikova is doing now just doesn't hold as much water, ratings or no ratings.

At the end of last season we knew Goldikova was a top class miler, which only contributed to the undisputable generation topping form of Zarkava. She would have thumped New Approach as well IMO.

Is Gagnoa better than Goldikova as well? Of course not - the Goldikova we have now is clearly a different beast to the one we had in the spring of last year. Perhaps Zarkava still would be a better horse now - but connections refused to take up the challenge. To me Goldikova has looked a monster of a miler since her run in the Breeders Cup.

Last edited:
I don't think they are really comparable, Goldikova is a miler and Zarkava is a middle distance horse. Granted they have met but like Gal says, that's now irrelevant.

I just think you can say Zarkava is a once in a decade filly, I'm not sure the same can be said for Goldikova. They are/were both brilliant whatever the score.

Back