The Prix Jacques Le Marois

Monster! BTW her Topspeed figure is currently at 134, so I suspect her RPR will be something similar.

Shame she is not taking on RVW over a mile but it will be fascinating to see her clash with Paco over his distance of 7f - she was truly awesome yesterday

Monster! BTW her Topspeed figure is currently at 134, so I suspect her RPR will be something similar.

Indeed it would be "monster" if it were so. She’s received a provisional RPR of 128 (which is excellent) for her win yesterday (her highest rated victory), matching Dubawi’s 128 in 2005. If confirmed, this rating would put her 1lb ahead of Rachel Alexandra (127) in the 2009 distaff standings. It also puts her second best filly or mare in the past 10 years behind Zarkava (on 129). Her trainer claims she's better than Miesque.

She’s also done me a favour in sliding me into contention for the TTF with a top-ten position.

Last edited:
Why won't the RP award her the rating her performance deserves? They are saying Aqlaam and Virtual haven't run to their best, which especially in the case of the former, appears plain wrong.

She's got a funny running style, hasn't she? Head quite low, but looks like she's always giving it her all.

For those without an RP sub, the link I've given shows a Topspeed of 134 and an RPR of 130 for Goldikova yesterday.

Aqlaam is on 119, which as Hamm points out is a bit odd off the back of consecutive 121 and 120 ratings.

It seems like they decided before working out the ratings for yesterday's race that they didn't want to give Goldikova too high a rating. Aqlaam for me improved if anything on his previous performances yesterday.

They've somewhat bizarrely rated Virtual 108 which suggests he has run 11 pounds below his Lockinge win!

Does anyone know when the Timeform ratings are out?

For those without an RP sub, the link I've given shows a Topspeed of 134 and an RPR of 130 for Goldikova yesterday.

Aqlaam is on 119, which as Hamm points out is a bit odd off the back of consecutive 121 and 120 ratings.

130 is a great rating for a filly, few have achieved better. Today's paper states 128, so they must have already upgraded her 2lb if the 130 is correct,

Last edited:
Cheers Sunny - Virtual still looks a little low to me but Aqlaam closer to what I thought.

Steve - absolutely, 130 is a great rating for a filly (or any horse) but not when the formbook and race suggests she ran better than that. Great horse - her against Rip would be an amazing race.

Great times for flat racing in the last 2 years - New Approach, Raven's Pass, Henry, Sea the Stars, Rip Van Winkle, Goldikova, Zarkava.

Cheers Sunny - Virtual still looks a little low to me but Aqlaam closer to what I thought.

Steve - absolutely, 130 is a great rating for a filly (or any horse) but not when the formbook and race suggests she ran better than that. Great horse - her against Rip would be an amazing race.

Great times for flat racing in the last 2 years - New Approach, Raven's Pass, Henry, Sea the Stars, Rip Van Winkle, Goldikova, Zarkava.

Does the form book suggest she has run better than an RPR of 130 or a TS of 134?... I can't see that it does. In fact there are not too many fillies to have ever run better than this at a mile.

What do the Timeform figures say? My machine is blocked from the site.

Last edited:
My reasoning was based on Aqlaam improving/running to his best, and Virtual running to near his OR. I felt the RPR downgraded Aqlaam & Virtual to ensure Goldikova wasn't given a rating above 130.

Timeform go:
Goldikova 132
Aqlaam 121
Virtual 108

Last edited:
I think Sundays performances is better than anything I have seen for a filllie in the time I follow racing, better than Miesque, Indian Skimmer,Pride or Bosra Sham.

Agree with Suny. I didn't see Miesque or an Indian Skimmer at her peak but she's better than Bosra Sham, Salsabil and Zarkava for me.

Zarkava was and still is the superior filly for me. She cantered all over Goldikova twice so how people can say Goldikova is better is beyond me. Nobody knows what Zarkava would have gone on to do but she beat everything last year over any distance. Much like Sea the Stars. She did not beat greatest Arc field ever assembled but she did it so easily and the Marois field is good but not outstanding.

Zarkava was and still is the superior filly for me. She cantered all over Goldikova twice so how people can say Goldikova is better is beyond me. Nobody knows what Zarkava would have gone on to do but she beat everything last year over any distance. Much like Sea the Stars. She did not beat greatest Arc field ever assembled but she did it so easily and the Marois field is good but not outstanding.

I'd agree with this, despite how people knock her, Zarkava was a one off and an unbeaten animal in all starts. I wish they'd kept her in training this year, just to silence her remaining doubters more than anything. Her against Sea The Stars and Fame would just have been sensational.

Abysmal price this far in advance. 20/1 Gladiatorus interests me though, round a tight right handed track with potential substances....

While I take on board what people are saying about Zarkava being superior to Goldikova....Zarakava was beating Goldikova into second in the Guineas but Goldikova was struggling to beat the admirable Halfwaytoheaven into third while in their second clash Gagnoa beat Goldikova as well in the Oaks. Goldikova has clearly improved leagues by then as Halfwaytoheaven and Gagnoa are not in the same parish as the French filly.

Back