The Road To The 2012 Champion Hurdle

There's racing pace form and then there's Irish pace form.

I've noticed that a lot of slow run races happen in trials and over in Ireland, the form tends to work out incredibly crap so it might be worth checking that out Hamm.

Has Binocular run in a true racing pace or not?

I once spoke to a Trainer who was leading the standings back in 1984, he told me that he could get a Class 6 Claimer to place in a Grade 1 over hurdles if the race was run in a steady gallop.

I did. Maybe it was a freak performance? :p :D

I admit that argument might sound glib, but it's possible. :cool:

I do confess though, I was surprised he could win off his mark. It was a decent performance alright, and he showed plenty of grit too. He's evidently not the squiggle-merchant I had him pegged for previously.

:cool:

aye..it was a bit unreal...i can't believe i didn't spot he were running..what a donut

ok grasshopper

not in any particular order

Good stuff, PR

.....his non appearences would still be a concern in respect of him repeating or improving on last years form

Fair comment, though the argument I'm making is largely around the strength of last year's already-proven CH form; any argument about the next renewal does include the assumption that HF indeed runs in the next,fit, healthy and able to do himself justice. :cool:

i havnt assumed binocular is not suited or at least has not been suited by 2 miles how could i assume that of a champion hurdle winner (he may be suited by further now) but he seems incapable since his victory of stringing 2 similar performences together and his slick jumping which was a strong point is a noticable abscence lately

Binocular was actually incapable of stringing 2 similar performances together before his CH win. Also, he is an out-and-out 2-miler, cruise-merchant and has no pretensions of getting a trip - as evidenced by his Aintree Hurdle run, where he patently failed to see out the 2m4f on a sharp track.

punchestown a different day over a different track menorah a fairly good supreme winner but im not sure i would call him a top end 2 miler if you use the closeness of the finish of last years bula you would have to rank cue card and silventi conti close to those comments which i wont be doing. Binoclar already mentioned.

Agreed, but Menorah was mentioned for a reason. There was a long way back to the Hobbs horse in both defeats to HF. The recent Bula run would have Grandouet within a lb or two of Menorah, meaning that the Grandouet - one of the most credible contenders - has just as much to find. Spirit Son may need to find less, but again, his form is reasonably closely tied-in with Cue Card, and thence Menorah/Grandouet. I realise they aren't a panacea, and I'm focusing largely in two runnings of the Bula, but those form-lines (imo) all point to the contenders (those mentioned above, and others) need to find plenty to get HF into a race.

i must admit i was wrong about HF last year to my regret opposing him without picking one to beat him this year i think i may well be right

:cool:

At some point, when I have the time, I will take a sledgehammer to that CH and expose it for the sub-par shite it was.

To be fair to Binocular, at least he improved on the previous years drivel.

would Zarkander not be a staying hurdler rather than a Ch winner?

This was my initial thought straight after the Triumph yet somewhere between then and now I persuaded myself he was worth a bet for CH. Having re-watched his Triumph win I fear my initial thought may prove to be correct, I think he may well be outpaced in the Champion.

This was my initial thought straight after the Triumph yet somewhere between then and now I persuaded myself he was worth a bet for CH. Having re-watched his Triumph win I fear my initial thought may prove to be correct, I think he may well be outpaced in the Champion.

I must first say that I haven't watched the race recently but will endeavour to do so. As such this point might not be relevant. However, it is worth bearing in mind that Daryl Jacob is quite active in the saddle, certainly compared to Walsh, and that can give the impression that the horse is travelling less well than it actually is. Walsh often gives off the exact opposite impression. I do seem to remember him cutting through the field quite impressively and was ultimately comfortably on top at the line.

Missed all this today but really enjoyed reading the last few pages - it had it all a really good bare knuckle toe to toe between Hamm and Grassy, Bruce Savage trying to butt in but getting ignored - a Bar The Bull quip or two - EC1 getting a mention in of Celestial and admitting that he missed his recent 14/1 win and Ardross, SteveM et al trying to keep the peace not to mention Peddlers getting a slating again. A clinker!!!!!:lol:

McCoy was interviewed on RTE during week,

Effectively said that Binocular had proved a disappointing horse and that he probably hadn't reached heights of Hurricane Fly's Champion Hurdle win [trying to dig out exact quote]

The only argument for backing against Hurricane Fly in this year's champion is understandable concern that he will be below 100pc.

But if he's right, he will win.

Missed all this today but really enjoyed reading the last few pages - it had it all a really good bare knuckle toe to toe between Hamm and Grassy, Bruce Savage trying to butt in but getting ignored - a Bar The Bull quip or two - EC1 getting a mention in of Celestial and admitting that he missed his recent 14/1 win and Ardross, SteveM et al trying to keep the peace not to mention Peddlers getting a slating again. A clinker!!!!!:lol:

He sent me a pm later saying sorry, and that he has backed Spirit Son for his life.

I`m with Grassy on HF`s chance ,as he has been consistent in support for HF for quite some time now. But in talking with the Nicholls team at Chelt last Saturday,they couldnt conceal the confidence they felt about Zarkandar . They wern`t shouting it ,its not their style,but the Old Man discussed it with glee. Sort of "we haven`t unleashed Zarkandar yet" He has improved a good deal since last season apparently.

If any endorsement was needed by the trainer, here it is:

Nicky Henderson feels Spirit Son is the dark horse among his three-strong contenders for the StanJames.com Champion Hurdle.

The Seven Barrows trainer has already five Champion Hurdle triumphs under his belt and this time aims to be represented by Grandouet, Binocular and Spirit Son in the Cheltenham showpiece.

Spirit Son is the one Henderson is particularly keen on - though he is the only one of the trio not to have seen racecourse action this term.

He looked good last season, winning both his novice events before finishing second in the Supreme Novices' Hurdle and ending the campaign trouncing Cue Card by 13 lengths at Aintree in April.

"He looked very special at Aintree and I think he's a very talented horse," said Henderson.

"Whether he's going to mix it with these boys this year we are about to find out."

Grandouet and Binocular, the Champion Hurdle winner in 2010, have already advertised their claims with respective wins in the International Hurdle and Christmas Hurdle.

"Grandouet fell over at Wincanton in the Elite Hurdle which was bad luck but he's looked very good the last two times," Henderson added.

"He proved last time at Cheltenham that he stays two miles and that he can go up the hill.

"He's having a bit of a break at the moment. We'll freshen him up and he'll have one run before it.

"He's got a lot of natural speed and talent and I'd back him in a battle. He was a bit weak last year and is a lot stronger now."

Henderson admits Binocular has not been at his best, but expects him to be more like his old self come March.

"With him we've got things to do and time to do it," he told At The Races.

"He was better at Kempton, but we can still have him better than that.

"He will almost certainly have another run before Cheltenham.

"AP (McCoy) will probably ride Binocular and the toss-up (for Barry Geraghty) will be between Grandouet and Spirit Son.

"Grandouet has done it this year, but Spirit Son might be a bit special."

Source: PA

cant see Mccoy deserting binocular whether it will be a sign of confidence or the fact its the only chance of a mount in the race is another matter.

providing the weather dosnt intervene with plans I expect it wont be long before geraghty nails his mast to sprinter song

cant see Mccoy deserting binocular whether it will be a sign of confidence or the fact its the only chance of a mount in the race is another matter.

providing the weather dosnt intervene with plans I expect it wont be long before geraghty nails his mast to sprinter song

McCoy will ride for McManus (i.e. Binocular).

...Spirit Son prince, you're getting your sprinter's and spirit's mixed.;)

Last edited:
"I'm much happier with the way he went compared to his work before Christmas and it's looking like he will come back for the Irish Champion Hurdle".

Good news for fans of The Hurricane.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/hurricane-fly-delights-in-work-at-leopardstown/972411/

Thanks Zen

The headline “delights” appears a little at odds with the substance:

After coming home a length to the good over three rivals in a 1m5f workout at Leopardstown under regular work rider Emmet Mullins, trainer Willie Mullins expressed his satisfaction.

"I'm much happier with the way he went compared to his work before Christmas [which was crap] and it's looking like he will come back for the Irish Champion Hurdle," said Mullins.

Nevertheless, good news for those looking for it.

my sources tell me the horse behind are.... Spirit Son, Zarkander, and Bini.

Good job the fly is only half fit. :D

Thanks Zen

The headline “delights” appears a little at odds with the substance:

After coming home a length to the good over three rivals in a 1m5f workout at Leopardstown under regular work rider Emmet Mullins, trainer Willie Mullins expressed his satisfaction.

"I'm much happier with the way he went compared to his work before Christmas [which was crap] and it's looking like he will come back for the Irish Champion Hurdle," said Mullins.

Nevertheless, good news for those looking for it.

"Emmet settled him in behind and he cruised up to the others, and when Emmet gave him a squeeze he shot clear. I was absolutely delighted with him, it was just what we wanted to see."? Willie Mullins, SL website.

Last edited:
I realise I'm in the fundamentalist wing when it comes to Hurricane Fly, but is it possible that Mullins thinks he has a genuine, genuine superstar on his hands, and he wants him 101% straight every time he runs, in order that he can demonstrate the full depth of his talent?

This is what I think. Last season they knew very well he was good but not how good. As a result they were happy to mop up the Irish Grade 1s on route to Cheltenham.

Now he has proven himself to be exceptional I think Mullins has only Cheltenham in his sights. He is therefore unwilling to risk his stable star unless everything is perfect. After all his fragility is well known so to me this seems a sensible policy.

So long as he lines up in tip top form in March I think Mullins will be happy and I think we should all be happy too.

Back