65% Jumps
35% Flat
100% Guessers

Or as Per Racing Post
72% Jumps
33% Flat

More accurately
50% Hard nosed NH only types
20% Flat only types (referred to a mincers and ponces by NH types)
30% Both (called bi-sexuals by both above)

Am I right in thinking Gamla is the only forum member who goes missing throughout the winter?

Slowly starting to check the forum twice a week or so now. Used to be daily at the height of the flat season but seems to have lost it's interest in the flat from reading this thread.

Hamm used to love the flat, couldn't get enough of overpriced Godolphin second strings etc.

Hope it picks up like as you say, we get to Guineas morning.

There are a few of that are seriously on top of the Irish flat form but I've no idea how you can get a good handle on the UK form unless tou're putting in serious hours of work.

There are a few of that are seriously on top of the Irish flat form but I've no idea how you can get a good handle on the UK form unless tou're putting in serious hours of work.
Some have no idea how you can get a handle on the Irish flat unless your sat in the pub on the Friday night when they're sorting out the results.

Martin

Some have no idea how you can get a handle on the Irish flat unless your sat in the pub on the Friday night when they're sorting out the results.
Interesting...

I remember over 30 years ago the racecourse regulars used to talk about how the results of the 3-day Ayr Gold Cup meeting were decided in the pubs the night before.

Maybe there was something in it.

A few years ago a local trainer who is now fairly prominent trained what he considered to be an absolute certainty.My cousin had a share in one that was trained in the stable and the money was down in a big way.Under an atrocious ride from one of the best jockeys riding at the moment he was beaten.The trainer had serious doubts about the jockeys motivations and avoids him at all costs.

I'll get into the flat in due course I think. It's just such a poor spectacle and racing experience when compared with the jumps.

I think being in paris for at least part of the season will help; I don't know why a huge % of UK people have to get pissed when going to the races (and to the football, and to the ....)

Flat is after this jumps season..

Incredibly rich owners with characterless trainers and characterless jockeys running races the vast majority of which are not as exciting as an average jump race. I used to be 50/50, but the jumps is much better for the average spectator. I mean, who in their right mind wants to spend a day at Royal Ascot or the Derby? Or with the pissheads in summer at Newmarket?

Sadly have to agree with this. I first got in to racing through watching the Flat and I still enjoy the big meets but there is nothing to compare it to the romance and drama of the jumps.

Anyone else suffering from the post-Cheltenham blues? I find I cope better as I get older :(:(

Anyone else suffering from the post-Cheltenham blues? I find I cope better as I get older :(:(

Big time. The Lincoln and the Dubai shindig do nothing for me and I think it's gonna be the Masters followed by the National that gets me out of this funk.

I think people too involved day in day out, week in week out don't appreciate the really good stuff as much as the more circumspect followers of a sport. Take the Golf thread in the Gen Sport section. The Masters is almost here and there has been no talk of it yet - just who was gonna win the Nestle Bar Invitational Jism Classic or whatever the last pointless Tournament in Arse Creek Florida was called.

But golf is all about the week that's currently on. Why bet now when 6 places and enhanced prices will be available next week. Don't forget that punters really only want to be on a sport close to the start of during the event. The Masters is miles away from my mind.

I think people too involved day in day out, week in week out don't appreciate the really good stuff as much as the more circumspect followers of a sport. Take the Golf thread in the Gen Sport section. The Masters is almost here and there has been no talk of it yet - just who was gonna win the Nestle Bar Invitational Jism Classic or whatever the last pointless Tournament in Arse Creek Florida was called.

Right Euro just for you mate a Masters 2012 thread has magically appeared so no excuses for any golf/sports fans on Talking Horses not to be engaging in cultured & passionate debate about who's gonna be wearing the Green Jacket next Sunday night :lol::lol:

It's one of the few tournaments where the build-up and betting does start antepost as there is always some serious value to be had. Paddy Power & others already going 6 places :whistle:

:lol:

Ignore me next weekend. I'll be after a poorly bred listed winner in Mallow (again)

You are being a bit harsh - she's at least group 3 and she has time on her side - it would be worth our while on here getting you a minder and getting a €5 tax on bottles of cider!:whistle:

Back