The Road To The 2012 Champion Hurdle

The one I would take out of it is Zarkander. Drifted like a barge on the exchanges and Nicholls was negative before the race. Ridden like there was something wrong. Stayed on like a train after the last. I think he will win next year with a more agressive ride. Nothing in the Supreme to trouble this current CH crop.

Looks to need further, imo, and will remain a 'nearly' horse (in the mould of Celestial Halo) at this distance.

Just my opinion, but the pace was good without being attritional, and Overturn (under a jockey who knows him better) made a better fist of setting it than he did last year. Albeit a different discipline, exactly the same 0.9 under standard as the Arkle, which again, was fair without being gruelling.
For whatever reason, HF ran below form, imo, (never travelled as he did last year), and Binocular is enigmatic anyway. Good performance by the winner, though Grandouet looks likely to push him all the way, next year.

I agree. With chinks in HF's armour now exposed it looks a race to get involved in next year. I've taken some 16s for small money about Spirit Son.

I don't know the answer that Simon but it's a good question. Sizing Europe is the best hurdler to go chasing in a long time.

shame they didnt run oscar whisky in this seeing how well overturn ran

mccoys ride on binocular must be one of the worst seen at the festival one of the stables conditionals could have done better and its not my pocket talking

does anyone know why the last hurdle was moved in the CH..nowadays its much nearer the bend on the first circuit..or justafter the fence on adjacent course..it used to be a good bit away from the bend and before the fence

shame they didnt run oscar whisky in this seeing how well overturn ran

mccoys ride on binocular must be one of the worst seen at the festival one of the stables conditionals could have done better and its not my pocket talking

Pretty much agree with this. In hindsight Oscar Whisky was entitled to have gone very close in the Champion.

I agree that Binocular wasn't given much of a chance, I don't think he'd have beaten the winner but he ought to have been placed. Then again McCoy was sublime on Alderwood and Synchronised.

i wouldn't be judging OW on Overturn's form..Overturn was freshend up for this and his effort after the last would have won most recent CH's..he has run his best ever race here

:lol: ...perhaps a thread on Champion Hurdlers only being called as much if they beat the previous year’s winner... that’d be beneath us though.

Back