The Road to the 2017 Champion Hurdle

King must have some blinkers if he does

SR was wrong when they got him home from Newcastle so you can draw a line through that run.

His Wincanton run was good enough to put him a long way in front of the FF winner Irvine so it's a question of how close it would have been between SR and PM had the former been right and the latter stood up.

It's all ifs, buts, maybes and conjecture, of course, but that's part of the fun.

Worth noting anything that comes out his mouth? Really, have you not learnt your lesson?

Hardly the same thing, Tiggers.

And in the words of the late, great Peter Cook: "I've learned from my past mistakes, and I'm sure I could repeat them perfectly." ;)

I was surprised they took Campeador out.

His (IMO lenient) Irish mark is probably worthy of a mid to high 150s GB rating - maybe more if Phil Smith does to him what he did to Rashaan - which doesn't put him that far behind the likes of Yanworth and Brain Power, plus that's a guess given he's failed to complete in his last two runs when looking the winner.

He'll probably have top weight in the County if they go that route so unless all is not well this race would surely have been worth an entry in case neither of the Ricci horses make it in top form.

Lami Serve is a dog, same colours aren't the the only thing in common with Grandouet
As regards the CH it has very little relevance but it's excellent to see TNO winning again I've really warmed to him this season.

The New One gives the 143-rated Clyne 8lbs and a length beating, all out.

Another nail in the coffin of the Christmas Hurdle form.

(Yes, I accept Clyne has probably improved but L'Ami Serge is only rated 152 and TNO has struggled to give him 8lbs.)

@DO, Lami was 5 lengths behind while receiving 8lbs, thats 160 performance right there, with all the mistakes etc. Cyrus Darius is 149 25 lengths behind, Clyne is def an improver. Plus he always struggled at this track. We aren't comparing dirt tracks are we? He's always been at his best at Kempton.

The bookies don't discriminate when paying out though! 6/4 decent SP (in hindsight I guess).

I took 15/8 this morning so happy with that but disappointing to see the way he walked through 3 out and poor over the last two. Interesting to hear STD favours the stayers although Dad sounds like he wants another go at the CH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@DO, Lami was 5 lengths behind while receiving 8lbs, thats 160 performance right there, with all the mistakes etc. Cyrus Darius is 149 25 lengths behind, Clyne is def an improver. Plus he always struggled at this track. We aren't comparing dirt tracks are we? He's always been at his best at Kempton.

Yes. About 160 for me too, taking a generous reading of the form. 10+lbs shy of Faugheen and AP (with her allowance). I'll be very disappointed if SR and Brain Power aren't 165+ horses waiting to happen.

I took 15/8 this morning so happy with that but disappointing to see the way he walked through 3 out and poor over the last two. Interesting to hear STD favours the stayers although Dad sounds like he wants another go at the CH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not disappointed at all. People consistently wish horses to be specimens or have ability they don't. He got his head in front, that's all I care about. Could have got beat a Neck by the 9/1 chance and then I'd be disappointed.

generous because he made so many mistakes etc, and he hates the track or its ground at this time of year, who knows, he's visibly not at his best around there but ran much much better at Kempton.

Looking over Klyne form, he's a Brain Power on steroids, from handicaps to 2nd to TNO thats hard to believe but it does happen.

Last edited:
generous because he made so many mistakes etc, and he hates the track or its ground at this time of year, who knows, he's visibly not at his best around there but ran much much better at Kempton.

Looking over Klyne form, he's a Brain Power on steroids, from handicaps to 2nd to TNO thats hard to believe but it does happen.

Bertimont and Rayvin Black were the two horses The New One beat in this race in the last two years.

You're going to need more straw.

Want more? The aforementioned handicapper Bertimont was left behind 18l by TNO in the Bula, next race they met again at Haydock(2015), TNO could only beat him by 2. Form down by at least 10lbs.
More? The aforementioned handicapper Rayvin Black beaten 10 lengths at Kempton, next race they met again Haydock(2016), TNO could only manage a 2l beating. Form down again by at least 5lbs.

Same 8lbs concession from TNO in all the above races.

Surprised at Klyne because he came from nowhere, literally, his last race and his best wasn't visible by anyone but the jockeys. All they know is that he beat Le Rocher by half a length giving him 8lbs.

Back