The Road to the 2017 Champion Hurdle

Been saying the same for years, Ben. Horses don't go on for him, and I think he is right up there with Jonjo, in terms of the most over-rated trainer in the UK.

His horses seem to end up out of love with the game, being scrubbed along in blinkers.

Katchit, Voy Por Ustedes and My Way de Solzen all fall into that category. Obviously you can't be certain but I'd wager their careers would have lasted longer if they were trained by Nicholls.

Not really related but years ago, I thought King would be the next top trainer from the UK

Now like Grass, I think he is very much overrated

Which leads me to thinking, of the next generation of UK trainer, who do we think will challenge for top trainer?

Harry Fry or Dan Skelton?

Last edited:
The above both pupils of Nicholls of course and the current assistant trainer at Ditcheat, Harry Derham, is a well adjusted young man and also family and he will attract owners I'm sure which is half the battle.

I think both Harry & Dan could challenge in the next 5 years. I don't know who will come out on top, but if had to pick who to send a horse to, it would probably be Harry. Would be a close call though...

I think both Harry & Dan could challenge in the next 5 years. I don't know who will come out on top, but if had to pick who to send a horse to, it would probably be Harry. Would be a close call though...

Have to say, I'm more convinced by Fry than I am Skelton. I think the former has a better eye for a horse, and the latter is a bit Nicholls-lite; that's the current Nicholls, rather than the G1/Saturday big-race-machine of a few years ago.

That said, I don't really pay too much attention to trainers. I subscribe to the PJ Hobbs school of it not taking much more than to gallop them three times a day, keeping them fed, and making some entries.

Last edited:
Or as Tony Mullins put it

attachment.php

Attachments

• tonyM.JPG
    tonyM.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 94
Thought Skelton was the next generation but it has turned out to be just very fit horses beating less fit horses. A lot of the horses look very promising early on in their career only to plateaux at a level less than you'd have expected. Obviously young enough to improve. Of the two I'd prefer Fry. but dont think he has the numbers yet to challenge. While not younger, Tizzard might be next in line after NH, PN even JJON. IF he gets the ammo, Neil Mulholland might be the one to do an O'Meara. Remember when Evan Williams and Tim Vaughan were to be the next generation.

Last edited:
Have to say, I'm more convinced by Fry than I am Skelton. I think the former has a better eye for a horse, and the latter is a bit Nicholls-lite; that's the current Nicholls, rather than the G1/Saturday big-race-machine of a few years ago.

That said, I don't really pay too much attention to trainers. I subscribe to the PJ Hobbs school of it not taking much more than to gallop them three times a day, keeping them fed, and making some entries.

I agree with you up to a point regarding the trainer comment but to use Tidal Bay as an example I doubt we'd have seen the resurgence in his career under a clown like Howard Johnson.

90 percent of it is getting them fit, but anyone can do that.

I tend to look at whether they can improve horses formerly trained by someone else - and conversely whether others can improve horses that leave their yard. Agree with HawkWing that on the flat O'Meara seems to be very good, and Mulholland is the one to watch over jumps. Of the big yards I've always thought Nicholls is streets ahead of Hobbs, Henderson etc.

Back