The Road to the 2017 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Thanks Euro.

Am hoping Potts mellows now.

I reinvested in the gold cup market as soon as puppy said he was going Irish GC.

Lovely performance from him.

always great to see Jessie train a winner. She is elite

Managed to back the winner to tiny, tiny stakes after Sub Lieutenant ran so well yesterday.

Also in an ew L15 with Dandridge and Battleford so a bit of an interest to finish a fairly poor week betting wise.

Whilst it is great to hear Cue Card is ok, they have now mentioned that about 4 times - any chance of confirming Paddy Brennan is ok? That was an awful looking fall.

Probably best to keep him away from bridges, trees and ropes for a while - no doubt he will be beating himself up, but to have any chance he had to absolutely wing that fence and even then it wasn't looking likely. Only a length down on the winner though at the time. Looks like Cue Card just doesn't seem to pick that fence up - last year he pulled him out and give him a good view of it this year he was in behind and it was like an action replay.

ROTFLMAO!!!!! Don Poli? I have heard it all now.............Very good winner and I wouldn't back anything to beat him next year if he stays sound........Won easier than the distance suggested

ROTFLMAO!!!!! Don Poli? I have heard it all now.............Very good winner and I wouldn't back anything to beat him next year if he stays sound........Won easier than the distance suggested
won very well but you wouldn't get rich backing gold cup horses to repeat

I just hope to god they don't run Minella in the national

He's still a big baby and will peak in 2018 or 2019, a bit more cut in ground and he'd have won today

I just hope to god they don't run Minella in the national

He's still a big baby and will peak in 2018 or 2019, a bit more cut in ground and he'd have won today

You can see them spending the next 2 years trying to hammer down his rating just to set him up for a national tilt.

I imagine Nicholls will be thrilled with Saphir du Rheu

Yes. I went in again again for the National just after the race. I need to watch the replay a few more times but I don't think Sam punished the horse. Probably ran here with Aintree in mind. Not unlike Miinnehoma and Rough Quest.

You would think finishing where Saphir du Rheu finished in the Gold Cup he'd be near enough favourite for the National. He certainly has the ability to win it BUT!!!

The problem being he's been he's as dodgy as they come, a beaten favourite as many times as Altior has won races and you couldn't trust him as far as you could throw him.

When I backed SDR yesterday after the race it was 50s in several places.

This morning it is generally 20-25/1 but only a couple of firms actually have it in blue. That strikes me as a wee bit weird.

Still, once it settles around 20/1 I can lay it off and back something else with the money. :) (Like I did with Brain Power, which I backed at 25s and laid off at 10s.)

After Don Cossack and Coneygree were out I actually didn't have any interest in this race but I got to say the mistake Djak made 2 out when they showed that fence it was unreal how much damage he provoked, he was going so well and that mistake cost him the race. I love that Mullins still hasn't won it because I like to think he'll live to regret the horrible decision of not sending Faugheen for the double last season and not having the guts like his father to go for it.

The problem being he's been he's as dodgy as they come, a beaten favourite as many times as Altior has won races and you couldn't trust him as far as you could throw him.

:lol: love it, a shoe in then !

Agree with the sentiment though, SDR not given a thrashing/bottoming out, more a go out and enjoy yourself at the festival, for that reason have followed DO in at 20s

After Don Cossack and Coneygree were out I actually didn't have any interest in this race but I got to say the mistake Djak made 2 out when they showed that fence it was unreal how much damage he provoked, he was going so well and that mistake cost him the race. I love that Mullins still hasn't won it because I like to think he'll live to regret the horrible decision of not sending Faugheen for the double last season and not having the guts like his father to go for it.

Probably cost him second but he lost less momentum than he was beaten by - no way would he have beaten SJ even if he had winged the second last.

48 hours and no one has crabbed the Gold Cup form ?
Must be a record.
I have to say I was so impressed by his jumping all around; he would nearly have won 2 mile chase, Ryanair or Gold Cup the way the races fell.
That the first three are 7 bodes well for the future, along with all who missed the race.

I was slightly underwhelmed by it. Combination of the lack of pace in the race which I thought was nailed on. Cue Card falling and Djakadam smashing two out.

Next years renewal

Coney - hopefully but doubts

Might Bite - if he doesn't combust in between

Yorkie - The enigma

Sizing John - liked puppy's comment that all the great 3 milers had good 2m form

vautour - up in the air on more angles than just one

Altior - you never know

Coney Island - him and Yorkhill would have lit up the festival

Our Duke - thorough stayer, strikes me as a possible national type, SJ would have too many gears

Un Temps pour Tout - high handicapper or assassin in disguise

Last edited:
Back