The Road to the 2017 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Next years renewal

Coney - hopefully but doubts

Might Bite - if he doesn't combust in between

Yorkie - The enigma

Sizing John - liked puppy's comment that all the great 3 milers had good 2m form

vautour - up in the air on more angles than just one

Altior - you never know

Coney Island - him and Yorkhill would have lit up the festival

Our Duke - thorough stayer, strikes me as a possible national type, SJ would have too many gears

Un Temps pour Tout - high handicapper or assassin in disguise

I don't understand your Vautour comment Granger?

Bristol de Mai has had plenty of racing for his 7 years. While he ran close to the Newbury form with Native River, he was lame at Newbury (or not trying??) and not at his best at Cheltenham. Strikes me that you might as well wait for the Haydock conditions before expecting him to better that form.

It would be some sight to see Coneygree and Might Bite taking each other on in a Gold Cup but sadly I doubt it'll happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Un des Sceaux would be interesting for the King George as Eddie says. Now he settles I don't see a problem with him getting a flat three miles.

didn't really settle on Thursday!

if he did he'd have a chance but i do think the horse absolutely detests anyone trying to take him on for the lead

Mullins didn't seem very keen when asked the question after the race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure of the point you're making, Frankel, but Aso was RPR 151 for the Arkle and in eight races since he has posted six higher RPRs, peaking last week. One of the two lesser runs was immediately after the Arkle, at Aintree, and the other after a then career peak when beating Drumlee Sunset. That career best last week still holds the form back a bit.

EoD is a 10yo, you can't expect to run his best every time. Aso is very inconsistent, you can't go back 3 races let alone 10 for his Arkle run. Sub Lieutenant gives some credence to the form but even he was a 161 rated going into the race. UDS was stopping in the last 100 yards and wasted all his energy going like a mad one in front so don't think he ran anywhere close to his top 172 rating achieved over 2 miles.

Not sure of the point you're making, Frankel, but Aso was RPR 151 for the Arkle and in eight races since he has posted six higher RPRs, peaking last week. One of the two lesser runs was immediately after the Arkle, at Aintree, and the other after a then career peak when beating Drumlee Sunset. That career best last week still holds the form back a bit.

Pace and trip were surely key. EoD would surely have been better off in the Gold Cup.
Aso is not a 2 miler yet was only about 7L behind Sizing John and 3 behind Fox Norton in the Arkle. This was off a moderate pace.
The stiffer test and pace of the Ryanair was more suited. EoD was dropping back and appeared beaten by speedier types.

Back