The Road To The 2018 Champion Chase

Ordinary World is trained about 3 miles out the road from me and last year he was 66/1 for the Arkle on the morning of the race.The pr man for a company that rhymes with spoils usually has a slot on the local radio station for the four mornings of the festival and offers the clueless hosts €100 in free bets for charity.Anyway the bird presenting the show says Ordinary World is 66/1 we will have €50 each way on that-as quick as a flash Leon says no-have €25 each way and have the other €50 on something else.W.A.C.

If ridden to pick up the pieces he would have place chances.
Until falling he was given a great ride on Saturday.

If the ground is to his liking I should be surprised if Special Tiara was out of the frame . He looked to rather run away with Puppy on Saturday.

If the ground is to his liking I should be surprised if Special Tiara was out of the frame . He looked to rather run away with Puppy on Saturday.

25/1 each way, 3 places with sky bet not so long ago. With question marks about the top of he market, his loving for spring ground, I couldn't think of better each way value if i tried.

Altior V Politologue should be an absolute cracker

For me this is Altior's biggest test by a country mile since Min over hurdles

I must be honest and say I have not been totally convinced that he is within a stone of what Sprinter was. He's been very lucky in the sense everything he beat had a good excuse for being beaten.

No excuses tomorrow and I expect a battle Royal

Well…there is an excuse. It’s his first race of the season and it’s all about a different day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He won by 14l 34l and 63l first time up and is unbeaten over the jumps

Nothing new that Nicky has already made an excuse should he lose but really if he is as good as he claims it should be another Altior walk in the park

Politologue after being aimed the Coral Cup and the JLT running over 2 miles was a PN afterthought and 2 miles may not even be his best trip.

He won by 14l 34l and 63l first time up and is unbeaten over the jumps

Yes, but he was tackling horses also having their first run of the season. Not a month from the festival tackling a horse who’s racked up 3 graded wins and is match fit. Not a fair comparison.

Tanlic, the evidence would suggest that 2m is indeed Politologue’s best trip, and I think you’re right that he presents a stern test for Altior today.

Insofar as the latter is concerned, it’s just good to see him back on the track. Whilst I’m sure he won’t get knocked about, if he is within a half-stone of his best, he shouldn’t need to be to win this. Poltologue is an admirable and high-class chaser, but I don’t think he is in the same league as Altior at his best.

Last edited:
Yes, but he was tackling horses also having their first run of the season. Not a month from the festival tackling a horse who’s racked up 3 graded wins and is match fit. Not a fair comparison.

Yes and he treated them exactly as that. Altior has never needed the run to date and I doubt if this will be any different..he's an absolute work machine at home and no way would Nicky would risk his unbeaten record by sending him out half cocked.

The timing of this race is perfect if you know Nicky's training methods. He will have him in A1 condition will let him down after the race for 10 days doing no more than a bit of road work or a swim, then back for 3 weeks serious work to bring him to Cheltenham 110% fit

I'll be amazed if he's not near his best today. A best we should know is how good by 3.10pm

Completely irrelevant. He's so far superior to Politologue if he jumps he wins even if Nicky has left a bit to work on.

flawless

as someone who has decent bets on min and douvan (nrnb) for march i've not got much confidence :/

great to watch though

Not sure the race actually amounts to much - the sectionals will be interesting - but Altior is just wonderful to watch.

Not sure what else you could ask the horse to do after 200+ days off the track, first time out, against a horse who is race fit and won a Tingle Creek (yes, a below par one I know). That was some performance. You cannot help but love Altior, what a cracker.

Very impressive comeback especially that characteristic pulling right away close home albeit I think Politologue is a better horse with a lead and without STD on.

Valdez ran an absolute blinder considering his stumble three out and that he was not knocked about for a horse that had been off for 3 and a half years.

As impressive as Altior was Politologue was never going to beat him. He was too hesitant at several fences and never really applied the pressure I was expecting.

That said clearly Altior is a stone better than him.

What a fantastic race it will be if ever a 100% Douvan comes back

Very impressive comeback especially that characteristic pulling right away close home albeit I think Politologue is a better horse with a lead and without STD on.

Valdez ran an absolute blinder considering his stumble three out and that he was not knocked about for a horse that had been off for 3 and a half years.

As impressive as Altior was Politologue was never going to beat him. He was too hesitant at several fences and never really applied the pressure I was expecting.

That said clearly Altior is a stone better than him.

What a fantastic race it will be if ever a 100% Douvan comes back

And Altior will hump him just like Min in the Supreme!
He's a very special horse.

Back