The Road to the 2019 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Yes he did - heard him say that on Radio Berkshire on the way home. He would have hated the ground today too. It was finding a lot of them out.

Did I hear NDB say they were thinking of dropping MB back to two and a half miles?

Yup. Makes sense to give it a go. Decent ground and jump him out.
He's never struck me to have the constitution to come back for another gold cup. Today was predictable.

That said, I don't want MB running in the Melling in place of Altior.

Connections saying Presenting Percy was found to be lame after the race, goes some way to explaining his performance. Can't help but think his preparation (lack of), would have contributed in some way to the outcome for him today. Few question marks against him - lame, preparation, or is he actually just not that good?

So how about Frodon for next year's Gold Cup?

I noted Nicholls saying later yesterday that they'll probably 'try something different' next year.

So how about Frodon for next year's Gold Cup?

I noted Nicholls saying later yesterday that they'll probably 'try something different' next year.

I think Elegant Escape may give you your answer.

That said, a year on and maybe he can stretch it out. Bit of decent ground.

Last edited:
I think that he has a better chance of staying than many, and I can't see why the King George wouldnt tempt them.

When you say many, who are we talking about?

The KG is one thing but the Gold Cup. Couldn't have him on my mind for that. But if I'm wrong...

He is 33/1.

Many will include those who didnt stay this year CDO, Thistlecrack, Altior, Frodon. I dont see any reason why he wouldnt stay. I think its pretty conclusive that it was the ride he was given rather than the distance that got him beaten in the Dipper. And like all those horses, who are likely to contest the King George next Christmas (all being well), if you win or run well the King George it is very difficult not to go for the Gold Cup. Much and all that they are different tests.

Personally, I wouldnt be turning my nose up at the 7yo winner of the Gold cup after 8 chases but I'll repeat, at 33/1 Defi du Seuil is interesting

Think 2 and a half will be enough for him

Actually doubt he'd beat the Tizzard horse over 3m let alone Altior, CDO, Cyrname at al

I think he would travel all over LostinTranslation and pick him up in the last furlong, at any distance.

I'm a big fan of Defi du Seuil but he'd never get the trip in a million years iMO. Santini Topofthegame lostintranslation are much of a muchness

Al Boum Photo is barely out of novice class and won like a real good horse who will take the beating no matter where he goes. I think this house could be very special

Percy was lame so ignore the form with a better prep I think next year the Irish will be well in command

Back