The Road to the 2019 Cheltenham Gold Cup

As much as I respect his ability, I'd be pretty confident Thistlecrack's previous form isn't good enough to win a Gold Cup anyway GG.

If Mullins doesn't send Douvan or Footpad to the King George, he'd be the one I think he'd most likely send over, given you can't run everything in the Lexus. Could I see him beating Might Bite? No, but I think he'd run very well around Kempton.

Some list
If they were all fit and the races were next week, I'd take a punt at:
GC - Bellshill/Douvan/Al Boum Photo/Killultagh Vic
Ryanair - Min/UDS/Kemboy/Invitation Only
QM - Footpad/Great Field/Cadmium
MaresH - Benie Des Dieux

In reality, they will be campaigned with the various options in mind and will end up where they end up. As it stands, I'd have thought that the first choices were Bellshill/Min/Footpad but there are a number of 6yos who will be at their peak next March.

As much as I respect his ability, I'd be pretty confident Thistlecrack's previous form isn't good enough to win a Gold Cup anyway GG.

Mmmm not sure I agree with that, but he'll come a year older, and anything can happen on the day. You never know who's going to turn up on the day, and who isn't. I just hope if he comes back and is not doing it, they don't keep on with him. They don't always come back from set backs such as he has had.

IF

Faugheen does go chasing...

Let's say he wins his beginners and the big Leopardstown Xmas race...

Could be go gold cuppin. At his age it's all or nothing.

There's just no way they'd leave themselves open to the criticism PJ. Some decisions are big, and others are just too big.....

Mmmm not sure I agree with that, but he'll come a year older, and anything can happen on the day. You never know who's going to turn up on the day, and who isn't. I just hope if he comes back and is not doing it, they don't keep on with him. They don't always come back from set backs such as he has had.

Thistlecrack the first one I’d write-off for the Gold Cup. He’d need to come back a minimum half-stone better a chaser than he’s ever shown, to get anywhere near landing a blow, I reckon......which isn’t going to happen.

Trying to think outside the box here. Does Waiting Patiently get the Gold Cup trip? 33s is a nice price if he runs anywhere near Might Bite round Kempton.

Can anyone see Altior running in the GC ? Current price of 50/1 would look big were he to take that route.

Altior only steps up in trip if willie grows a pair and sends Footpad to the Tingle Creek - where of course he tears the reigning champ a new one.

Can anyone see Altior running in the GC ? Current price of 50/1 would look big were he to take that route.

Have you been in the pub with our Marble?...never known you to talk shyte before :lol:

I always thought given time Bellshill would develop into a top class performer and WPM has done a great job doing just that.

His performance in the Irish Grand national giving away up to 28lbs was oustanding despite defeat and he really came of age when beating professional Gold Cupper Djakadam.

He has a much better chance of winning a Gold Cup than Footpad who wouldn't get 3m2f in a horse box.

Douvan was in a league of his own before fracturing his hip. Looked better than ever when running away with the Champion Chase only to fall.

Never at any point was he travelling when 2nd to Un Des Sceaux. Whether that was down to a mental problem or a physical one I have no idea but he certainly was not himslef.

Maybe and just maybe the break will see him get over whatever is ailing him and if it does then Gold Cup? King George? Champion Chase? he could win any of them.

He is not even in The Hennessy, betting, these bookies have no taste. I hope I don't have to wait until The William Hill on 14th March to see this fella put his best foot forward again.

Last edited:
Speaking of class handicappers. Can anything come through the ranks, probably staring off at Newbury, to stake a claim for The GC?

Back