The Road to the 2019 Ryanair Chase

If Monalee's owners want to go for the Gold Cup and Balko Des Flos' owners want Monalee to go for the Gold Cup, Henry might just take the line of least resistance.

The going is the crucial factor for several horses. If it comes up really soft like last year all the trends go out of the window anyway but it would likely decide the destination of several intermediate horses.

I think it's more than likely that Min will go Ryanair anyway. Not sure about Footpad but it wouldn't surprise me if UDS got another go at the QM.

Ever since Road To Riches got the Ryanair call up by Giggi the year after his Gold Cup third nothing surprises me anymore re running arrangements.
Going will decide all.
UDS has no business in 2 mile chase on good or in Ryanair on testing ground.
I imagine similarly that Monalee Gold Cup on good/ Ryanair on testing ground.
Min more likely 2 mile bound and Footpad will be hardest to place on this season's form so far.
All will breathe a sigh of relief if Cyrname skips Festival .

Road To Respect now shorter for this than the Gold Cup on Betfair Exchange (according to Oddschecker).

Last edited:
Giggs suggesting today Road to Respect could well go for the Ryanair. Wouldn't surprise me. Thought he'd be their best dart at the Gold Cup though.

Road to Respect confirmed for this.

Utter crock of.....

I give him a strong chance in this, but for me he was there best bullet at the GC. Messes up a **** load of multiples as well. Don't think I have NRNB on a few of them as well. Seething. Admittedly he probably wouldn't have won, but he certainly had strong E/W claims if the ground wasn't anything as bad as last year.

Last edited:
As an Al Boum Photo backer for the GC, glad to see he has been taken out of this.
Just need him to be declared for the big one now.

Surely Top Notch goes extremely close in this if he runs. Has magnificent course form despite not winning at the Festival yet.

Would you believe Nicky? Terrefort has no chance in this...I think Top Notch has a super chance if he runs. Jumps for fun and has serious will to win.

Nicky seemed quite keen on him for the Stayers in the Unibet Preview

Clueless decision. He's not a grade 1 animal in either sphere but his economical jumping got him closer to winning at that level (would have gone very close in Yorkhill's JLT but for a blunder at the second last) over fences that it ever would have done over hurdles.

Is it a clueless decision?

I agree Top Notch comes up just short of G1 class. and when I look at the Ryanair, I see several genuine G1 horses that he would need to overcome. That’s not the case in the Stayers, where - Faugheen apart (and he’s getting on) - I see horses of similar ability to Top Notch, who owe their G1 wins largely to the lack of depth in the division.

The Stayers is surely much the easier of the two races, and gives him his best chance of hitting the frame?

I’d also be hesitant to dismiss Terrefort’s chance entirely. It’s not so long ago he beat Cyrname, and if you ignore his FTO effort this season when he clearly wasn’t right, he has actually gone with a great deal of credit against Frodon and Clan Des Obeaux, over trips which might just stretch his stamina.

Terrefort is an interesting outsider in the Ryanair, imo, and if both were to run, I’d much rather take my each-way chances with him at 25’s, than Top Nothch at half that price.

Last edited:
Back