The Road To The 2021 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Yeah. Not even sure what to make of that, winner was good, that’s how you ride.

Did Melon stay? I’ve put in here before they will target the Gold Cup. 66s for a horse that performs at Cheltenham seems good to me.

Yeah. Not even sure what to make of that, winner was good, that’s how you ride.

Did Melon stay? I’ve put in here before they will target the Gold Cup. 66s for a horse that performs at Cheltenham seems good to me.

on the speed the whole way in a strongly run race, definitely has the stamina

probably a race many will be sceptical of though given the 2 heading the betting fell. can't see any of the first 3 being around the top of the betting for the GC

I would be very disappointed if Minella Indo didn't have the beating of that trio.

Halfway through the race the thing that flashed across my mind was that I watching a Grand National trial.

It ended up a glorified handicap.

Reminded me of the IGC won by Edwulf.

Mess of a race in my view. Absolutely gifted to Kemboy/Melon with the way it panned out and yet they've managed to pish it away. Some ride on the winner mind.

I would disagree with this reading of the race.

Yeah not having that. They went hard and the winner was the only one that could take advantage. That's the as good a race I've seen in Ireland in years.

Last edited:
Yes. Thought there was a danger that they would dawdle, given how few of the horses would seem to want a proper slog. It was a proper race. Melon would have been very interesting in the King George given that run.

I thought it was an excellent race. Melon the one to take out of it for me. I imagine that’d have been Kemboys Gold Cup. Jockey on the winner was superb. Had one the English lads rode that it’d have been coming in with Allaho.

Melon is one of those horses that is constantly underrated and is always good for a new price because of it.

Just read Minella Indo could go to the Savilles for which he’s still entered.

yeah saw that myself. not sure it'd be well advised so soon after a fall so suspect it won't be the case but intriguing if him and monalee both show up there

Be amazed if they ran Minella so soon. I'd imagine he's very sore after that fall.
Surely Monalee goes there.
Thought today's race was a cracker, decent pace. Just a shame the top two in the betting fell.

What a race today. Gutted but taking the positives out:
Minella Indo's price holds up
Allaho ran well, just faded. APT's win at least ensures he likely goes Ryanair.
As an Englishman it's nice that in Shishkin and Thyme Hill/Paisley Park we at least have two winners in March.
I could not have stomached Ireland's Frodon winning as well.

What a race today. Gutted but taking the positives out:
Minella Indo's price holds up
Allaho ran well, just faded. APT's win at least ensures he likely goes Ryanair.
As an Englishman it's nice that in Shishkin and Thyme Hill/Paisley Park we at least have two winners in March.
I could not have stomached Ireland's Frodon winning as well.

Who’s the Irish Frodon :lol: hope it’s not one I like.

I think the Stayers is all to play for. SDB will be primed for March, anything in between is a bonus. I’ve not looked at the figures, but wouldn’t suprise me if Gordon’s not got his as hard fit, prepping for Dublin and Cheltenham

Who’s the Irish Frodon :lol: hope it’s not one I like.

I think the Stayers is all to play for. SDB will be primed for March, anything in between is a bonus. I’ve not looked at the figures, but wouldn’t suprise me if Gordon’s not got his as hard fit, prepping for Dublin and Cheltenham

Elliot's horses not exactly lighting up Xmas not too unlike two years ago.

Presuming sick note Kennedy is ok in March (they should offer NRNB on jockeys) Delta Work will be a good ew bet in March. 10 points longer than Frodon ffs

My own reading of today's race

WPM will not be happy with his 3 jockeys - PT for picking the wrong one (the most innocent obviously) and the other 2 for taking each other on.

PM really should of kept hold of Melon. He impressed me today (the horse) and all things being well would have been better placed in the King George

APT is likely to improve a few lbs for today and with spring ground but still doubt he is good enough

Don't know what to make of Minella after that. He'll need to be out again pretty shortly.

Fine finish but not the top class renewal it looked on paper

Last edited:
Thrilled (that Kemboy was somewhere close to his best) and gutted (that David didn't ride out to the line after giving him a fine sight of the fences all the way round). Compounded by the winning jockey picking up a suspension for whip misuse.

Thrilled (that Kemboy was somewhere close to his best) and gutted (that David didn't ride out to the line after giving him a fine sight of the fences all the way round). Compounded by the winning jockey picking up a suspension for whip misuse.

The brother phoned me as they crossed the line. "What a race!" etc.

The first thing I said in reply was about the jockey on the winner. Should have been thrown out for whip abuse.

I need to watch the finish again but I thought maybe all three jockeys were a bit enthusiastic in that department but if only the jockey on the winner broke the rules it must be very galling to be denied by someone who breaks the rules and basically gets away with it.

Back