The Road To The 2021 Cheltenham Gold Cup

The brother phoned me as they crossed the line. "What a race!" etc.

The first thing I said in reply was about the jockey on the winner. Should have been thrown out for whip abuse.

I need to watch the finish again but I thought maybe all three jockeys were a bit enthusiastic in that department but if only the jockey on the winner broke the rules it must be very galling to be denied by someone who breaks the rules and basically gets away with it.

Yes, I’ve never understood why they are not disqualified since it has enhanced performance against the rules. The only excuse they have is that it hasn’t enhanced performance - in which case there’s no excuse for not binning whips entirely.

Davy Russell gave a wonderful insight to the race (Savills Chase )today on RTE 2.
He maintained Minella Indo's fall was instrumental to the field giving the front three a free run of it down the back straight.
He also cannot understand why most horses tried coming up Bryony's outside in King George Chase when Frodon was jumping left at his fences.
Well worth viewing on RTE player.
He puts the RTE racing panel on a different level when involved for sure.

Davy Russell gave a wonderful insight to the race (Savills Chase )today on RTE 2.
He maintained Minella Indo's fall was instrumental to the field giving the front three a free run of it down the back straight.
He also cannot understand why most horses tried coming up Bryony's outside in King George Chase when Frodon was jumping left at his fences.

Yes, his thoughts are well put forward and he has more to offer than Geraghty all week

I used to think Mangan was pretty good but foundher rather annoying all week and always having to feel herself correct

Absolutely.

Yes, his thoughts are well put forward and he has more to offer than Geraghty all week

I used to think Mangan was pretty good but foundher rather annoying all week and always having to feel herself correct

Jane has turned into the Irish Mick Fitz. A novelty at the start and now just awful.

I thought Russell didn’t take a drink?

The only horse outside of Frodon was Santini who needed daylight for obvious reasons.

If he watched the race he’ll see Sheehan continually tried to get up Frodon’s inside only for Bryony to close the gap. Indeed he almost clipped heels with Frodon before the turn in. She intentionally left a gap to invite them up her inside knowing full well she had the horse to close it as she was dictating the pace.

Pure rubbish.

I see a lot of bullish opinions on this race this year which is interesting, though I haven't a clue where to start when looking at the anti post market?

It's wide open isn't it?

Last edited:
You're like a fat lass outside a cake shop man.

A horse who has just took a crashing fall in Ireland but is now a value 10/1shot for the Gold Cup... I mean god strooth. What's this forum coming to. :)

I saw the same about Saint Roi after getting beat today. It never stops. :)

Last edited:
I thought Russell didn’t take a drink?

The only horse outside of Frodon was Santini who needed daylight for obvious reasons.

If he watched the race he’ll see Sheehan continually tried to get up Frodon’s inside only for Bryony to close the gap. Indeed he almost clipped heels with Frodon before the turn in. She intentionally left a gap to invite them up her inside knowing full well she had the horse to close it as she was dictating the pace.

Pure rubbish.

Follow thy leader 7-4 out.

I see a lot of bullish opinions on this race this year which is interesting, though I haven't a clue where to start when looking at the anti post market?

It's wide open isn't it?

Is it? How many do you see in it?

Great race to punt in

Minella Indo is no 10/1 shot

Melon is so big at 33s, I fear he is Ryanair bound

Faugheen at 50s... ahem

I’d be confident they’ll send Melon cuppin’

They’ve got Min, Allaho Tornado Flyer, and possibly Faugheen for the Ryanair.
They’ve got Al Boum and Kemboy (who hates Cheltenham) for the Gold Cup.

Donellys don’t mind running 2 horses against each other. I’m guessing Patrick will keep the ride, hopefully doesn’t go like gonzo up the back.

From all the evidence we have Melon won't stay in the Gold Cup.

I think he’ll stay the trip fine. They’ve gone a real gallop the other day, of which some he set going round the back. If Patrick could have kept hold of him a bit longer we’d be looking at The Savillis chase winner and a 12/1 shot for the Gold Cup.

I’d be confident they’ll send Melon cuppin’

They’ve got Min, Allaho Tornado Flyer, and possibly Faugheen for the Ryanair.
They’ve got Al Boum and Kemboy (who hates Cheltenham) for the Gold Cup.

Donellys don’t mind running 2 horses against each other. I’m guessing Patrick will keep the ride, hopefully doesn’t go like gonzo up the back.

It seems likely that the Savill's runners will get an Irish Gold Cup entry and, until then, it's foolish to take a strong view on any of them.

Allaho - they specifically said that they were disappointed with the run and made no mention of not staying. If he goes well the next time I'd slightly favour this as the target.
Tornado Flyer - they were very pleased with how he stayed on. Likely to go here I'd have thought.
Melon - they still think he'll stay but if ABP shows to be as good as ever I wouldn't be surprised if he goes for the Ryanair.
Kemboy - a horse that finishes 5th in a Neptune and 4th in a JLT doesn't hate Cheltenham. However, there are grounds for thinking that the track configuration and situation of the fences doesn't allow him to get in to the same rhythm as he managed at Leopardstown, Aintree and Punchestown. There is a constituency that thinks he would have a chance in the Stayers Hurdle.

If ABP doesn't do the treble I'd have Minello Indo as much the likeliest alternative.

Al Boum Photo, Acapella Bourgeois, Djingle, I'm A Game Changer and Brahma Bull the 5 declared in the Grade 3 Savills New Years Day Chase.

No Minella Indo or Monalee.

**** off Henry

It seems likely that the Savill's runners will get an Irish Gold Cup entry and, until then, it's foolish to take a strong view on any of them.

Allaho - they specifically said that they were disappointed with the run and made no mention of not staying. If he goes well the next time I'd slightly favour this as the target.
Tornado Flyer - they were very pleased with how he stayed on. Likely to go here I'd have thought.
Melon - they still think he'll stay but if ABP shows to be as good as ever I wouldn't be surprised if he goes for the Ryanair.
Kemboy - a horse that finishes 5th in a Neptune and 4th in a JLT doesn't hate Cheltenham. However, there are grounds for thinking that the track configuration and situation of the fences doesn't allow him to get in to the same rhythm as he managed at Leopardstown, Aintree and Punchestown. There is a constituency that thinks he would have a chance in the Stayers Hurdle.

If ABP doesn't do the treble I'd have Minello Indo as much the likeliest alternative.

You know more than me, but I’d be very suprised to see Allaho in the Gold Cup, I think he’s a certainty to go to the Ryanair.

Melon is such an underrated horse for me. You could stick him in a Champion Hurdle or a Grand National and he wouldn’t disgrace himself. Hope he gets a win in a big big race, he deserves it. I personally hope and think he goes Gold Cup.

I see the point regarding Kemboy,but his best form is away from Cheltenham. He’d be an interesting addition to the Stayers though.

Al Boum Photo, Acapella Bourgeois, Djingle, I'm A Game Changer and Brahma Bull the 5 declared in the Grade 3 Savills New Years Day Chase.

No Minella Indo or Monalee.

**** off Henry

That’s really really poor that. Al Boum was having to give Monalee 11 pounds.

Back