The Road to the Punchestown Festival

Grasshopper

Senior Jockey
Any early-closers for this? I had a look at Entries yesterday, but couldn't see anything - even for the G1s.

Long Run and Riverside Theatre among 19 entries for Punchestown Gold Cup. Captain Chris, First Lieutenant and Kauto Stone also entered

Our Conor tops 15 entries for Champion Four-Year-Old Hurdle at Punchestown. Rolling Star, Ruacana and Diakali feature as well.

Sprinter Sacre one of 17 in Punchestown Champion Chase. Flemenstar, Cue Card and Sizing Europe entered too.

Quevega Solwhit, Menorah and Holywell in the 21 entries for the World Series Hurdle

Last edited:
Byrnes was hesitant, but didn't write it off entirely. I expect a decision will be based on how well he comes out of Aintree.

corking stuff if all the big guns stand their ground but i imagine the likes of sprinter/solwhit/cue card have to be doubtful to turn up after aintree

I love NH racing but Punchestown is just an afterthought in nearly everyway. Too late on in the season. Ground usually horrible as well. A meeting that the calendar could be better off without.

Last edited:
As do many I suspect. I find it very boring and think NH season is over before it comes along.

Will be a lot of good horses on show. Strange thinking that we would be better off without it. I wonder how many Cheltenham winners or placed horses will show up.

Too fast or two heavy?

Last few year's it's been awful, no?

I just don't think late April/early May is time for good National Hunt racing. I am not saying I'm right at all, just a personal preference. It's unusual for a horse to run through winter and be still in top form running here. I just see it as a bit after the Lord Mayor's show.

THe 2m chase has been bumped up to €200k while the three-miler has been left on €150k, all part of an attempt to get guess who to turn up.

I don't remember many years with heavy ground.

Going back to the opening day over the past 10 years:

2003 G/Y, 2004 G/Y, 2005 Soft, 2006 Good, 2007 Good, 2008 Good, 2009 Soft, 2010 Good, 2011 G/Y, 2012 S/Hy

My main issue before last year was that the ground is usually too fast. But hey ho.

The third best week's racing of the year and will probably have more Cheltenham winners than Aintree....if there's no room for Punchestown on the calendar, may as well just run the NH season for a month building up to March and that's it

Back